Thread: Transmission plugs (I think that's what they're called)

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740i

Transmission plugs (I think that's what they're called)

Hello Everyone,

I need some help! I have a 98 740i and I've been wanting to get the transmission fluid checked. I know that it doesn't have a dipstick. So I took it to a mechanic and he put it up on the lift. He wasn't able to check the fluid because the heads on the bolts were stripped. I asked him to show me the bolts and he pointed out two bolts. He said he could get them out by drilling them, somehow, but there were no replacements. So what I need to know is are the bolts that are used to check the fluid replaceable or do I have to buy the whole kitten kaboodle?

Any advice, suggestions, or questions, please comment!

Thank you,

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    This is the plug to fill and check fluid level:
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-24117552349-1

So not sure why he said it’s not available. Very possibly stripped though. I might take it to a different shop.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    As always do as you feel is best. Your post says that the mechanic pointed out two bolts, there's only one fill plug that's used for checking the level and one drain plug for draining the transmission. "No replacements" I'm not feeling the love, I'd consider a different mechanic, if he elects to drill out the fill plug, realize that with the engine off the oil level is above the fill plug and he'll be fighting fluid the entire time. I'd suggest having the correct fill and drain plugs along with their respective gasket rings, a new set of pan bolts, pan gasket, filter (Filtran) and enough fluid to permit two changes ( first with filter and fluid and second with fluid only) in hand, prior to starting this task. Then you'd be ready for worst case scenario.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740i
    Hey. Thanks for the reply. However, he didn't say they weren't available--as in not replaceable. Sorry for the misunderstanding. He just didn't want to drill them out and I didn't have the replacements.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740i
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. How would I tell which is which (checking or drain)? Sorry for the misunderstanding--he didn't want to attempt to remove the plug by drilling and I didn't have a replacement (new) at the time. He did tell me about having the gasket rings along with the bolts. But would I need to purchase all of those that you stated (pan bolts, pan gasket, filter and fluid)? And what do you mean by "ready for the worst case scenario"?

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss TD View Post
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. How would I tell which is which (checking or drain)? Sorry for the misunderstanding--he didn't want to attempt to remove the plug by drilling and I didn't have a replacement (new) at the time. He did tell me about having the gasket rings along with the bolts. But would I need to purchase all of those that you stated (pan bolts, pan gasket, filter and fluid)? And what do you mean by "ready for the worst case scenario"?
    The check one is the one higher up, but as said earlier the fluid level is above the check plug when the engine is not running. So be cautious not to open it (I've made that mistake, not fun). I guess if you want to drill it out you need to drain it first, that's a good time to replace filter, oil and gasket as well. The new plug sold by ZF uses a bigger hex head, if I recall correctly it's 8 vs 7. Probably changed cause too many hex heads broke earlier.

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    Also, they really need to be sure it's checked at the right temperature. There is a range (using DIS where you can tell the temp) that you're supposed to fill it up in. If you don't, you can under or overfill it. It's not the end of the world, but would result in possible strange noises when cold, etc.

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Restomod Thread (Mods): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Kind-of-PART-2