Thread: E36 M3 best telemetry sensor placement (RaceCapture Pro Mk3)

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe

Question E36 M3 best telemetry sensor placement (RaceCapture Pro Mk3)

I'm co-driving this year with snakebit8 in his E36 M3 build. The main RaceCapture Pro mk3 box contains the IMU, so we figure as close to center mass as possible will yield the best results. Because we're running STR, we have to keep the interior more or less stock. I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on how to mount the unit, which is about 3in by 4in by 1in tall.

The two spots we're thinking about are 1) in front of the back seat on the shaft hump or 2) under the arm rest mounted to the center console plastic. Spot 1 seems a bit tight, though we could probably get it secured well to the body of the car. Spot 2 I'm worried we'll get noisy IMU data since the plastic console isn't the most sturdy and getting a solid attachment will be more difficult.

The calibration for the unit is better if the unit is square/flat with direction of travel, but it can be calibrated for off angles (error likely grows proportionally to the sine of the angle off axis, so 5* off angle is better than 45* off angle).

Am I missing any good spots? Does it really need to be center mass or will it work just as well mounted under a seat? Any input will likely be helpful!

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    It needs to be in the center for proper yaw or angular velocity readings, but for standard X/Y/Z accelerations (G force) anywhere is pretty much fine. I have mine in the glove box. Center of car would be better, but i didn't think it was worth the hassle.