Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying an e36 m3

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by brchapm View Post
    I know you are looking for an E36 M3 but the E46 M3's are really affordable right now. About 6 months ago I picked one up for ~$10k with 77k miles on it. I still have and love my E36 and it is my daily driver, (227k miles on it), but it won't last forever, probably, and I wanted a spare....

Different driving feel but I think I can get used to it.
    Ya but all the 6mt are like 20k +. You can't find a manual for less than that

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLastName View Post
    Because people start calling offering to "help you sell your car" or texting meaningless lowball offers. I just went through this myself in selling a truck. I removed my phone number from the CL ad after one day because of the dumb phone messages that started coming in. Had to block a couple numbers.
    Same thing did happen to me but I just ignored it and not let it trigger me. Sorry to hear about your experience though.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan8925 View Post
    Ok guys which one seems like the better choice?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...447299582.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...493348227.html

The black sedan seems decent. But on the ad it shows asking $11500 but then on the bottom of the ad it says only interested in trading for an e46m3

So which one is it then? Is the person willing to sell the car for money or what? I'm local to the person so I might be able to check it out for you when I have time. In your search, do you want a coupe or sedan (or it doesn't matter?)

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by usedunderwear View Post
    Same thing did happen to me but I just ignored it and not let it trigger me. Sorry to hear about your experience though.

The black sedan seems decent. But on the ad it shows asking $11500 but then on the bottom of the ad it says only interested in trading for an e46m3

So which one is it then? Is the person willing to sell the car for money or what? I'm local to the person so I might be able to check it out for you when I have time. In your search, do you want a coupe or sedan (or it doesn't matter?)
    I'll probably go check it out this weekend, thanks tho man. I would prefer a coupe but at this point i feel like i should grab whatever seems like the best deal.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    I'll probably go check it out this weekend, thanks tho man. I would prefer a coupe but at this point i feel like i should grab whatever seems like the best deal.

Sounds good, if you need me to come along I'll be happy to if time permits. Send me a PM if so

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe

If you could get that one for $10K or less I think that's ok. The car is nice, but it's not perfect or anything. There's cosmetic issues plus annoying stuff that should already be fixed like door lock actuators (I have one to replace on mine).

But yeah, prices are getting silly. I might have to raise the insurance policy on mine above $15K at some point in the not too distant future. It used to be I saw un-modded comps of my car selling for like $6-7K, but now the same cars are $10-12K.

I also agree that manual E46 M3's are getting closer and closer to being the better option. If they drop below $20K and clean E36's keep rising to $15K+, I think that's a no brainer for the E46 (even though I will always say the E36 looks better).
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 02-22-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    If you could get that one for $10K or less I think that's ok. The car is nice, but it's not perfect or anything. There's cosmetic issues plus annoying stuff that should already be fixed like door lock actuators (I have one to replace on mine).

But yeah, prices are getting silly. I might have to raise the insurance policy on mine above $15K at some point in the not too distant future. It used to be I saw un-modded comps of my car selling for like $6-7K, but now the same cars are $10-12K.

I also agree that manual E46 M3's are getting closer and closer to being the better option. If they drop below $20K and clean E36's keep rising to $15K+, I think that's a no brainer for the E46 (even though I will always say the E36 looks better).
    Ya it's getting ridiculous just like the e30. It seems almost better to just shell out a few extra $$$ and get an e46 nowadays

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    I don't follow the e46 M3 prices too closely because I don't like the way they look. But my impression from clicking on the various ones that come up on BaT is that their value has really taken off of late. Nice manuals seem to be at least into the $20K's.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Alright guys. What do u think about this one? High millage

https://images.craigslist.org/00p0p_...K_1200x900.jpg

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Alright guys. What do u think about this one? High millage

https://images.craigslist.org/00p0p_...K_1200x900.jpg

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...506901643.html

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    At first glance it looks ok. The mileage on the body is certainly a concern. I would have to see the trim in the trunk removed before I'd consider it. It's not necessarily bad but it's interesting that the door appear to have panels have airbags even though it's a 95. Overall it could be worth a look but with your budget I'd probably keep looking. 266k is a lot of miles for a body.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Not sure what your budget is but I'd definitely be giving this a serious look if I was in the market:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...r-w-Track-Prep
    CBlock

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    Not sure what your budget is but I'd definitely be giving this a serious look if I was in the market:

That's a very nice track car that you can daily. Great price for the amount of quality work in it, BBK, engine rebuild and power mods, racing stuff, etc... Looks great too, inside and out.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post

I definetly would but i live in San Diego. And that is in my budget. I'm looking to spend up to $15k for a perfect one

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    I definetly would but i live in San Diego. And that is in my budget. I'm looking to spend up to $15k for a perfect one

IMO, we are in the perfect state to find a clean e36 M3. So far, I woudn't buy any of the cars that you've posted or suggested to you in any of your treads. $15k is a great budget to get what you want. Assuming that you want a clean near stockish car with under 150kish? Just be patient
    Ray

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by KimoSabe View Post
    IMO, we are in the perfect state to find a clean e36 M3. So far, I woudn't buy any of the cars that you've posted or suggested to you in any of your treads. $15k is a great budget to get what you want. Assuming that you want a clean near stockish car with under 150kish? Just be patient
    Its hard being patient lol. I guess I'll just keep looking/ waiting

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by usedunderwear View Post
    But on the ad it shows asking $11500 but then on the bottom of the ad it says only interested in trading for an e46m3

So which one is it then? Is the person willing to sell the car for money or what?
    Selling car for listed price, and the only trade he/she will entertain is the E36M3 for a E46M3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M3
    This is hilarious, I know the market is different now but 2 years ago I literally bought a clean title matching vin 130k mile car for 7k. I thought that was pricey haha. Good luck OP. Price is stupid on E36 now. At least the Ms

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Its hard being patient lol. I guess I'll just keep looking/ waiting

People wait years before finding the perfect one.

The one is FL is the best one I have seen so far. You could easily change the "traq" bits over to OE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    This is hilarious, I know the market is different now but 2 years ago I literally bought a clean title matching vin 130k mile car for 7k. I thought that was pricey haha. Good luck OP. Price is stupid on E36 now. At least the Ms

I bought my estoril with 63k miles for 13.5k 9 years ago. It came with a schrick cam kit and LTW interior trim
    Last edited by KnudsonsM3; 02-24-2018 at 02:45 AM.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    Its hard being patient lol.
    Then you better not get into classic cars anytime soon, ha.
    Ray

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...494428243.html

U guys think this is worth the drive from san diego?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe

Did all 95's have a black plastic front bumper as opposed to a painted one?

I kind of laughed when I read about the "$4K stereo system" and "adult driven" in reference to the same car. Right... Anyways, yeah it looks pretty clean superficially, but given that it's 24 years old every bit of rubber on or under the car probably needs to be replaced if it hasn't been. Personally the ridiculous stereo would be a dealbreaker for me. I also don't think the blacked out rear windows look very good, but that might just be me. I'd also rather get a 96-99 than a 95, though I guess it depends what you're going to do with it. If you're ok paying a big premium for that stereo go for it, but you can probably find a later model car without that in similar shape (maybe a few more miles) for the same price.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Did all 95's have a black plastic front bumper as opposed to a painted one?

I kind of laughed when I read about the "$4K stereo system" and "adult driven" in reference to the same car. Right... Anyways, yeah it looks pretty clean superficially, but given that it's 24 years old every bit of rubber on or under the car probably needs to be replaced if it hasn't been. Personally the ridiculous stereo would be a dealbreaker for me. I also don't think the blacked out rear windows look very good, but that might just be me. I'd also rather get a 96-99 than a 95, though I guess it depends what you're going to do with it. If you're ok paying a big premium for that stereo go for it, but you can probably find a later model car without that in similar shape (maybe a few more miles) for the same price.
    That stereo would definetly be sold if i got it. And ya $4k for the stereo and $4k for the exaust dosen't sound right. And i do prefer the 96-99 ones since i plan on keeping it mostly stock so the extra torque would be must appreciated.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...493348227.html

Prolly gonna check this one out. Seems like a good buy if i can get it for $10k

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe

I live in San Diego. I bought my 1997 e36 m3
    In Seattle. I flew up and drove it down. 3 years later into ownership and that experience of driving it down is still my favorite by far.

Also, I paid roughly $12k for one (clean title, garaged and well cared for) with 130k miles. The reason I chose that one is it had extensive records and tons of preventative maintenance done for the whole life of the car. All major issues were addressed at or before the appropriate mileage marks.

I now have 162k miles on the car and no surprises with reliability. Point is you get what you pay for in most cases with these cars. Also, if possible, flying somewhere to buy a car can be a great experience. GL finding one, hope to see another nice M3 in San Diego

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by legitsnowe39 View Post
    I live in San Diego. I bought my 1997 e36 m3
    In Seattle. I flew up and drove it down. 3 years later into ownership and that experience of driving it down is still my favorite by far.

Also, I paid roughly $12k for one (clean title, garaged and well cared for) with 130k miles. The reason I chose that one is it had extensive records and tons of preventative maintenance done for the whole life of the car. All major issues were addressed at or before the appropriate mileage marks.

I now have 162k miles on the car and no surprises with reliability. Point is you get what you pay for in most cases with these cars. Also, if possible, flying somewhere to buy a car can be a great experience. GL finding one, hope to see another nice M3 in San Diego
    Wow thats serious commitment man. U have pics of your car?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast