Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: classic inspiration

classic inspiration

I just had to share this pic today....

this car may have been one of my biggest influences to buy the coupe when it first came out in 99 here in the US.......this car is just so very elegant, hip and sexy.

You dont see many of these hot rodded like say a 911, or even a z coupe, but I also want to share a hot rodded built e type coupe...let me find it.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Absolutely the sexiest, best looking car ever made. I was a teen when it was made, and always wanted one. I hope the hot-rodded examples are internal only.

Enzo said that back in the day

Most of the mods are internal , but also some have a bit of a wide rear flare...gorgeous, subtle.........and ya know wheels/tires.......lighting too....

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Some nice spring day, you need to take a drive over to The Stable in Gladstone NJ. Classic car dealer and its free for all to drool - but not on the cars. Please. They even have a Jag for sale. 40k $110,000

http://www.stableltd.com/index.php?o...d=0&Itemid=130
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

Dave.....my man!....

I do love!! those hard tops......I should go..,,,not far

110k yikes......I recall them at 30 k.....and I didnt have it then either....lmao

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Here's a nice modified e-type:

I think it's one of the best Petrolicious videos.

and a cool vid here too....same car maybe...same dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzUTWppkjFw
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 02-21-2018 at 02:46 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    There's a company that does updated E-Types and they have a custom coupe version that I think makes the car perfect: https://www.eaglegb.com/133/jaguar-e...ag-gt-for-sale

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    There's a company that does updated E-Types and they have a custom coupe version that I think makes the car perfect: https://www.eaglegb.com/133/jaguar-e...ag-gt-for-sale
    Last one for sale in USD was $1,142,580. I remember that car review on Top Gear...something like 30kGBP for the front and rear windshields (er, I mean windscreens).
    Last edited by s8ilver; 02-21-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

another great vid......I apologize to other z3 folks but this car has a place in out heritage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPKSf5tHzsw

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post

yess!!!>>>>>Eagle is Like Singer but to the Jag world!!!!!..kind of.

had to share this as most here dont know of a low drag coupe, puuuure sex on wheels.....:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '99 Z3 Coupe, 2016 R3
    I've often thought of my 'shoe as the E-type I cannot afford, probably just as well, Jags can be quite the nightmare.

nightmare?.....that may be a bad rep not accurate

according to Leno a well looked after car is about dead on reliable..check out the white orig coupe he has

My Cars
    z3
    Leno says a lot of things I dont believe lol... How often could he possibly drive any of his cars to even know about reliability anyways? lol

My Cars
    '99 Z3 Coupe, 2016 R3
    When I was a mechanic at a VW dealership in the 70's, one of the owners friends brought in a 60's Jaguar sedan with a bad heater core. It took our best mechanic a week to do the job, strip the dashboard to the firewall in order to replace it, all hand wired, it was a nightmare.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Owned a 67 e type roadster for 12 years. Lightly modified it - headers, cams, bolt-on wheels with wide Firestone rubber. Won a lot of slaloms, including WOT Holtville where you could get up to 100 mph in the straights. Tons of torque but no top end. My 98 M Roadster is much stronger. And both look incredible.

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Liberatore View Post
    When I was a mechanic at a VW dealership in the 70's, one of the owners friends brought in a 60's Jaguar sedan with a bad heater core. It took our best mechanic a week to do the job, strip the dashboard to the firewall in order to replace it, all hand wired, it was a nightmare.
    I had a 61 Jag sedan, I did have to do heater core work. I certainly didn't have to remove the dash to replace it. As long as the Lucas bits didn't let the smoke out, and you kept oil in the carburetors, they just ran and ran.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I am backwards, I'll my E-type with the drop top and my Z3 with a fixed top.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello
    '01 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0 manual 5sp
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

My Cars
    '02 BMW Z3 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    I just had to share this pic today....

this car may have been one of my biggest influences to buy the coupe when it first came out in 99 here in the US.......this car is just so very elegant, hip and sexy.

You dont see many of these hot rodded like say a 911, or even a z coupe, but I also want to share a hot rodded built e type coupe...let me find it.....
    I was in college in 1970 when I saw my first Jag roadster up close - and it was love at first sight. Can't explain it, but its like seeing your first centerfold or the Mona Lisa. Something about the sensuous lines that no other car I know of has matched. As true a work of art as there ever was.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Liberatore View Post
    I've often thought of my 'shoe as the E-type I cannot afford, probably just as well, Jags can be quite the nightmare.
    Leno is correct. The bad reputation is primarily due to the lack of maintenance performed on the cars. Once the first owner sold to the second, usually someone who could barely afford it, the cars deteriorated. I owned a 1966 OTS from 2002 until 2011. Once I replaced the points with a Pertronix and the SU fuel pump innards with an electronic version, I encountered few issues. Early on, I had a leaky radiator hose that dripped on the distributor. Another time, the 40 year old alternator with 60K miles froze a bearing. I replaced a few things with more modern components, like the starter with a high torque version and the alternator with a Hitachi. The straight six engines in the E are good for 100K miles. I took a few trips with the car. The longest was the last trip I made prior to selling--New Jersey to Utah and back. I sold it for what I had into it.

I've enjoyed the M Roadster at least as much. It performs better, it's more comfortable, and I drive it more because it's worth a fraction of the E. I haven't had any mechanical problems with the M, but I've encountered a few electrical problems and repaired a LOT of broken plastic. All cars take maintenance--it's part of the fun. Here are two pictures of the car, one in Ecurie Ecosse Blue with the hardtop shortly after I purchased it, and the other after I had it painted in its original opalescent silver grey.WayneRasa.jpg Registry2.jpg
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by gtwhimself View Post
    Owned a 67 e type roadster for 12 years. Lightly modified it - headers, cams, bolt-on wheels with wide Firestone rubber. Won a lot of slaloms, including WOT Holtville where you could get up to 100 mph in the straights. Tons of torque but no top end. My 98 M Roadster is much stronger. And both look incredible.
    I'm not sure what you mean by no top end. The car pulls right up to the redline (and beyond). Granted it doesn't have a high redline, but what straight six does? I put a T5 gearbox into my 1966 E, with a 3.54 rear end and a 0.73 fifth gear. It made the car into the 150 mph example that Jaguar promised, without having to breathe on the engine like the engineers did in 1961 when it was released.

I agree about the M Roadster, having the same year that you do. I miss the looks of the E in the garage, and the smell of the unburned hydrocarbons, but that's about it.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

Quote Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
    I had a 61 Jag sedan, I did have to do heater core work. I certainly didn't have to remove the dash to replace it. As long as the Lucas bits didn't let the smoke out, and you kept oil in the carburetors, they just ran and ran.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I am backwards, I'll my E-type with the drop top and my Z3 with a fixed top.

Ill take your 550 Jim...lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    Leno is correct. The bad reputation is primarily due to the lack of maintenance performed on the cars. Once the first owner sold to the second, usually someone who could barely afford it, the cars deteriorated. I owned a 1966 OTS from 2002 until 2011. Once I replaced the points with a Pertronix and the SU fuel pump innards with an electronic version, I encountered few issues. Early on, I had a leaky radiator hose that dripped on the distributor. Another time, the 40 year old alternator with 60K miles froze a bearing. I replaced a few things with more modern components, like the starter with a high torque version and the alternator with a Hitachi. The straight six engines in the E are good for 100K miles. I took a few trips with the car. The longest was the last trip I made prior to selling--New Jersey to Utah and back. I sold it for what I had into it.

I've enjoyed the M Roadster at least as much. It performs better, it's more comfortable, and I drive it more because it's worth a fraction of the E. I haven't had any mechanical problems with the M, but I've encountered a few electrical problems and repaired a LOT of broken plastic. All cars take maintenance--it's part of the fun. Here are two pictures of the car, one in Ecurie Ecosse Blue with the hardtop shortly after I purchased it, and the other after I had it painted in its original opalescent silver grey.WayneRasa.jpg Registry2.jpg

effinf looove those hardtops

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Leno says a lot of things I dont believe lol... How often could he possibly drive any of his cars to even know about reliability anyways? lol

Jay doesnt know alot about every car he talks about on his show, thats tru.........but on the orig white coupe i do believe what he says..........and granted he has a top notch team wrenching on the cars.....lol

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    Granted it doesn't have a high redline, but what straight six does?
    The S54 and S50 come to mind

I wouldnt say s50 anymore....maybe 20 yrs ago

a stock car is done at 6400 or so......its not a hi winding screamer

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    I wouldnt say s50 anymore....maybe 20 yrs ago

a stock car is done at 6400 or so......its not a hi winding screamer
    Evidently you haven't ever driven an S54; they're just getting started at 6400 RPM.

Marty

Marty marty mARTY,

I said s50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast