Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: V12 wanna-bee...

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Was this forum ever great?

I think it is. This forum is an amazing resource to keep our beloved 8s alive and well. Thanks to this forum and members thereof, Eva has never been to a BMW dealer. All we have to do is "Make Bimmerforums Great Again"! MBGA
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbaren View Post
    V12 guys say V8s are 4 short. In reality the V12s are 10 short. Short 2 cams and short 10 valves. Old technology.
    10 + 2 = 12

32 - 24 = 8

4 - 2 = 2

8 + 2 = 10
    Last edited by XAlt; 03-03-2018 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    1991 bmw 850i
    dudes - chillax - neither of the vehicles was built for drag racing - just rolling in Style - ya Dig

My Cars
    bmw 850i M-tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Torston View Post
    Go back to 1990 and say that. The Ford Mustang GT had 225 hp. The Corvette base model wasn't much better. The only engine in BMW's line up at that time that made more hp was in the M5 and it had waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy less torque. And they are prone to catastrophic failure. The m60 was developed FIVE years after the m70 and still had less hp and torque. Comparing late 80's performance standards with late 90's or early 2000's is apples to oranges.

Dragon said it best, the m70 wasn't designed as a world beater. It was designed to push big sedans and luxury coupes at a high rate of speed for 100's of thousands of kilometers without fail. The 850 with its gearing and drag coefficient does that with ease, grace and style. Squeezing more performance out of an engine is a tight rope walk the manufacturer often doesn't want to deal with. An unbalanced engine leads to warranty repair and disgruntled customers. Unless you own a Ferrari nobody is going to put up with that.

Expecting fuel economy from a 2000 kg v12 car is like sitting around wondering why Anna Kournikova hasn't called to ask me out on a date yet. There are certain laws of nature that cannot be overcome, even by wishful thinking.
    I still wanted to say something to this thread. I have been criticizing M70. During this past summer i have learn to appreciate this engine. I bought e63 650i last May. I seached a lot to find best possible car. I found nice, clean car with 103000km (about 64500miles). The car has a lot more power than M70 and surprisingly good fuel economy. After that the N62 engine has needed new valve steam seals and new valvetronic parts and i have only driven about 2000km with it. These repairs has costed A LOT. I have been extremely disappointed to this engine. BMW has built nice big engine but it has so much technology inside that after ten years it is a big risk to buy, even low mileage. Also many other N-series engine has proven to failure. IMO M-series engines are the most reliable engines and after that they are pretty unreliable. Also after E46 bmw cars have turned to worse. Guality is nothing like it was before. Materials inside are very cheap looking and the sound insulation is poor. This e63 i have is much more noisy than e34, e39, e46. One example of this poor guality is that this e63 doesn't have any kind of protection to protect sheet metal from rusting. There is nothing but thin layer of paint underneath and some plastic panels. The underbody of my 105000km driven e63 650i is completely rusty everywhere. I have had several old bmw's and i have never before had this issue, my e31 is like new underneath.

this is what the underbody of e63 looks like with 105000km...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikae31; 10-14-2018 at 07:38 AM.

My Cars
    E34 M5, Alpina B10, 850i
    Like Torston stated; dont think, just buy. My dad and I bought one which didn't drive for 10 years. If I did read all the horror stories before we bought it, we would've never bought one. But we did and we faced some trouble. If you run into issues, it's most of the time time investments. Up to now I wouldn't say it is complicated technique.. there's just a lot of stuff working together. Search, think, google, check Timms website and continue before buying something is our key. But once again; that's related to a 10 year forgotten car.

If you buy one that runs great, you probably have an issue once every now and then.. and I believe that's what make older cars really interesting.

And let's be honest; if you read the stories about your 540i engine, you'll get nightmares even when it doesnt leave the garage. Same same.

Go for it!

Quick edit; didnt see that this thread is OLD. Maybe you already bought one
    Last edited by Ohnizz; 10-14-2018 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
    Maybe some get a kick out of people striking up conversations at traffic lights, taking pictures as one drives by or looking up at the rear view mirror to see all sorts of people pointing and using their phones to take photos. I still can't get used to that and I'll be the first to tell you my ride is no way "pristine". I simply just like driving the car.)
    Guilty on all counts! A few months ago during a nice leisurely Sunday morning drive from Long Beach southbound on the "405" to "OC" I was shadowed by a CHP motorcycle (California Highway Police). First, he was behind me then he drifted to the right then back to the left and finally pulled up to the driver's window. He matched my speed, leaned in gave me the "thumbs up" and shouted NICE CAR then sped away. A shout out is way better than a citation. I think my vanity plate "V12 8ER" caught his attention initially.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123