My Cars
    Bmw x5

X5 4.8i misfire after changing spark plugs

My parent changed the spark plugs on my x5 4.8i and everything was fine. It was moved to the street where it was parked for a week. Reason it didn’t move is because the x5 needed a new alternator. A week later, I try to turn the car on to move it onto the driveway to begin alternator replacement and I noticed it’s idle is very rough. I’m thinking something went wrong in changing the spark plugs, whether spark plugs are the wrong ones or whatever. My parent says it’s because the car had no gas so it caused fuel injectors to go bad.

What could it be? What should can I do to diagnose this problem. It idles rough, exhaust smells bad, apparently cylinder 1 is misfiring. And to be clear the car had very little gas(about 3 miles to empty) when we changed spark plugs and it started up fine so could it be the fuel injectors? The spark plugs that my dad used are the same ones he put inside of our e46, ngk Brand.

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul97 View Post
    My parent changed the spark plugs on my x5 4.8i and everything was fine. It was moved to the street where it was parked for a week. Reason it didn’t move is because the x5 needed a new alternator. A week later, I try to turn the car on to move it onto the driveway to begin alternator replacement and I noticed it’s idle is very rough. I’m thinking something went wrong in changing the spark plugs, whether spark plugs are the wrong ones or whatever. My parent says it’s because the car had no gas so it caused fuel injectors to go bad.

What could it be? What should can I do to diagnose this problem. It idles rough, exhaust smells bad, apparently cylinder 1 is misfiring. And to be clear the car had very little gas(about 3 miles to empty) when we changed spark plugs and it started up fine so could it be the fuel injectors? The spark plugs that my dad used are the same ones he put inside of our e46, ngk Brand.
    After sitting for a week, and no gas in tank.....

Suspect that the battery needs a refreshing charge and add a couple of gallons of fuel, premium of course. Start the car, run to fueling station, top off the tank and return home, idle should improve by the time you get back.

No indication of year or mileage, but a can of sea foam added to the filled tank will help clear slightly clogged injectors.

Brand of plugs is good/ok as long as proper version was used.

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk