Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free DME or EGS update

My Cars
    E46 E39
    Interested on a 2001 540i with Manual Tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by M5XTu View Post
    Interested on a 2001 540i with Manual Tranny.
    Looks like yours has ME7.2 DME. The latest flash version is 7533707.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_0885

If you have BMW Scanner 1.4 you can check your current DME version following these steps.
    https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showth...5#post16698015

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by balidawg View Post
    I think your terminology is correct, just that in those early years they may not have had different flashes for USA and EU. As I recall, EU lagged behind USA in their emissions standards. Honestly, I cannot recall trying to flash an M5.2 DME.

Have you heard of anyone flashing in stock DME software to remove post-cat O2 sensor support?

Looking at realoem.com, I picked an 01/1997 production date, it shows no O2 sensors on the exhaust manifold at all.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_1418
    The diagram with O2 sensors states “No parts found for your car”.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2283

Do you have the stock engine?
    What’s the last 7 VIN digits?
    Bali-Brodawg:

Yeah I think you missed. Here's where his O2's show up - on the exhaust page:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_0300

Because his car is such a wicked early build it'll be M5.2 and not M5.2.1 so...

This should be the last USA update released for his build:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=12141429909

If then you go to a Euro version of that exact same car and build date, on the same exhaust page, sure enough you DO have pre-cat O2 (for mixture) but no post-cat O2s.

And so the flash would be this one for a car with a cat (assuming still without post O2 sensors).
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=12141430047

There's another version for "catalyst preparation" (which I presume means "prepared for Cats but doesn't have them").
    I really wonder what the difference could be between them, but who knows.

Since makinaw's car is such an old piece of crap and he lives in Texas, probably nobody is gonna care, but... worth warning all the other ballarracecarbroz who want to flash w/ EU calibrations... a number of states this will get you inspection failed.

A whole list of things of varying importance will show up different on an OBD scan. Depends on what your state looks for but things that could be problematic are:
    - Emissions standard (there's an actual field that will return an EU code not a US-OBDII code if somebody bothers to scan for it and look at it)
    - Equipment not available (so monitoring O2s would show as missing)
    - Calibration numbers

In my state doing this would be an instant fail, except for the fact that this particular car is > 20yrs old. I won't get into the details but a lotta guys suffered extreme pain from trying this trick back in the day... you don't even want to know what happens when they 'flag a VIN' here.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Thanks for the info, GG. I totally missed that the cat and O2 sensors are further back on the exhaust.

My Cars
    98 740i, 01 540i
    Will this work to swap a six speed into my 01 540 with an auto trans?

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkZ28 View Post
    If you look up the DME flash for both AT and MT 2001 540i, you see that they’re the same, 7533707.
    This is also true with other BMW DMEs I’ve updated, such as MS42, MS43, and MS45.1.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    LOL. Bali definitely I appreciate your goodwill and helpin' dewds out for free, and don't mean to be Debbie Downer... but

Quote Originally Posted by MarkZ28 View Post
    Ha ha ha. Yes and no.

Yes, if balidawg helps you do the flashing-part of the swap, then yes in the sense that that DME recode is one part of the work required.
    No, that's not only what is required. A hole buncher stuffs else is required. Wiring. Coding some other modules in the car.

The answers to all your hopes and dreams/nightmares lie here my friend:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Wiring-Coding

If you look up the DME flash for both AT and MT 2001 540i, you see that they’re the same, 7533707.
    This is also true with other BMW DMEs I’ve updated, such as MS42, MS43, and MS45.1.
    Yes the MS4x DME's are automagically-hermaphroditic for sure. Not so ME7.2

I think the ETK (electronic catalog) "part used in..." logic fails a little with those 'programmed module' numbers. It is definitely wrong about those being same for auto/manual. I noticed it said that on the M5.2 before and I thought "gee maybe the M5.2 is different" but now that we are truly in my wheelhouse I can tell you nope, at least for programmed-module stuff you have to be careful about trusting it.

If you go straight in through the menus for a 2001 Manual, you end up browsing for a "DN53" chassis code.
    The programmed DME page for DN53 is:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1010

And so the latest calibration would be: 7510331

Whereas if you go through exact same menus for a 2001 Auto, you end up browsing for a "DN63" chassis code.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1010

A USA auto is going to have a short-diff therefore latest will be: 7522857
    A Canadian auto is going to have the tall-diff therefore latest will be: 7510333
    Last edited by geargrinder; 01-03-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Thanks GG for updating with all the details and links.

I normally just update MS42, MS43, MS45.1 DMEs and EGSs to the latest flash version for folks. Flashing in the EU2 or others is the same work, so don’t mind doing it as well, but I’m not advocating modding or custom tunes or any of that. Happy to help people out, but with the caveat that any custom stuff is higher risk.

My Cars
    328i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Bali-Brodawg:

Yeah I think you missed. Here's where his O2's show up - on the exhaust page:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_0300

Because his car is such a wicked early build it'll be M5.2 and not M5.2.1 so...

This should be the last USA update released for his build:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=12141429909

If then you go to a Euro version of that exact same car and build date, on the same exhaust page, sure enough you DO have pre-cat O2 (for mixture) but no post-cat O2s.

And so the flash would be this one for a car with a cat (assuming still without post O2 sensors).
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=12141430047

There's another version for "catalyst preparation" (which I presume means "prepared for Cats but doesn't have them").
    I really wonder what the difference could be between them, but who knows.

Since makinaw's car is such an old piece of crap and he lives in Texas, probably nobody is gonna care, but... worth warning all the other ballarracecarbroz who want to flash w/ EU calibrations... a number of states this will get you inspection failed.

A whole list of things of varying importance will show up different on an OBD scan. Depends on what your state looks for but things that could be problematic are:
    - Emissions standard (there's an actual field that will return an EU code not a US-OBDII code if somebody bothers to scan for it and look at it)
    - Equipment not available (so monitoring O2s would show as missing)
    - Calibration numbers

In my state doing this would be an instant fail, except for the fact that this particular car is > 20yrs old. I won't get into the details but a lotta guys suffered extreme pain from trying this trick back in the day... you don't even want to know what happens when they 'flag a VIN' here.
    Thanks GG!

And yeah...a lot of places it would be an instant fail. It's something I can do only due to the age of the car and the lack of emissions testing here...it should still pass emissions, physically (cats still there, cats still working), but if they through the scanner on it'll throw a red flag. It's not for everyone. I'm still not 100% certain I want to go down this road...it's something I was entertaining when my post cats weren't cooperating with me, but they have decided to start working for me again without explanation.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 525i
    Hello, new to the forum. Is this process the same for an e60? I'm having a hard downshift when coming to a stop. I have a 2007 525i.I ordered the cable and would like some tips on updating the transmission software (if you are still offering this service) I see you live in Riverside, I live in the 92509 area. Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorF View Post
    Hello, new to the forum. Is this process the same for an e60? I'm having a hard downshift when coming to a stop. I have a 2007 525i.I ordered the cable and would like some tips on updating the transmission software (if you are still offering this service) I see you live in Riverside, I live in the 92509 area. Any advice would be helpful, thank you.
    Meh. Extremely unlikely flashing the the EGS will fix a problem like that unless there is already a proven known issue and a known software update to fix it. BMW seldom has really glaring flaws in their software and the updates are typically very minor things, often to just to tweak emissions related systems and other things that are invisible to most owners.

Hard shifts usually means something is going wrong, but if you're lucky it is fluid contamination and a fluid change can sort things out.

Scan for codes in the engine and transmission. Perhaps the ABS/DSC also - the auto trannies will act badly if the wheelspeed is not being detected properly (do you have ABS/DSC lights on the dash?)

And yes really you're better asking most of your questions over in E60-land. If there was something like "hard shifting EGS software update" (which again is super doubtful), then presumably they'd know about it over there.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    ^_couldn't his downshift problem also be related to a bad MAF?

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    ^^^ GG is right. Start by scanning trouble codes on the CAN bus modules (EGS, DME, ABS) as they’ll give clues about what they see is wrong. Change the ATF if it hasn’t been done already. Search on the E60 forums.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 525i
    Thanks for the quick reply, is there anyway you can pm me your preferred contact info? I signed up last night and don't know how to pm. Thanks.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Thanks for the quick reply, is there anyway you can pm me your preferred contact info? I signed up last night and don't know how to pm. Thanks.
    PM sent.

My Cars
    02 525i sport
    I swap my b25 engine to a b30 with eBay headers, the car wasn’t running right. Thanks to Scott for remotely updating my dme to euro E2 software. What a difference, the throttle response is great, seems like rpms is a lot higher. Thanks a lot, I highly recommend, awesome and helpful through the whole process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Kicking this to get eyes for folks who want/need to update their MS42 or MS43 DME or GS8.60.4 EGS. See post #1 for the link.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    I am likely interested in this in a couple weeks, even it it only means FINALLY managing to get the software working on the laptop.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by merlindavis View Post
    I am likely interested in this in a couple weeks, even it it only means FINALLY managing to get the software working on the laptop.
    No problem. I remotely set up the software on people’s laptops all the time.

My Cars
    '13 535i
    Do you update F body cars?

I might need to flash my EGS to troubleshoot an issue. Would that be something you could help me out with?

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Bav@heart View Post
    Do you update F body cars?
    I might need to flash my EGS to troubleshoot an issue. Would that be something you could help me out with?
    No, I just do the earlier models as listed in the thread.
    https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1081716
    Last edited by balidawg; 03-20-2020 at 08:37 AM.

My Cars
    BMW
    Hi @balidawg! Could you please PM me your contact info? I am coming from a different forum and it seems that I am unable to contact you directly (probably due to lack of activity here). Thanks!

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by paicu.radu View Post
    Hi @balidawg! Could you please PM me your contact info? I am coming from a different forum and it seems that I am unable to contact you directly (probably due to lack of activity here). Thanks!
    I just sent you a PM.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Spent a few hours with @nzmoman coding his 12/2000 530iA after it was 5-speed manual transmission swapped a couple years ago. Took copious notes and will write it all up in the DIY section on here soon. In the meantime, the important points we found for others doing a similar swap are these.

Edit: write-up on the coding is here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ter-AT-MT-Swap

- Remove the EGS (AT control module) from the car
    - Wire up the brake light switch
    - Wire up the clutch switch
    - Determine the exact change to the ZCS needed to code the car to MT
    - Change the ZCS in IKE/KMB and EWS modules
    - Cycle ignition key to power cycle all modules
    - Clear DME adaptations
    - Clear trouble codes in main modules (DME, ABS, IKE, EWS)

See this document for a nice dissertation on ZCS and VO style coding.
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...6&d=1454733223
    Last edited by balidawg; 08-31-2020 at 07:17 AM.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    No problem. I remotely set up the software on people’s laptops all the time.
    You've got a PM, I'm a year late in getting to asking about this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast