Thread: What are your thoughts on this Code Reader?

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52

What are your thoughts on this Code Reader?

https://launchtechusa.com/crp123p-6/

https://www.amazon.com/Creader-Trans...h+crp123&psc=1

So, what got me going on this is the need for an Airbag scanner. I've had the Airbag warning light on for years and was told by a tech (many years ago) that it was a "probably the sensor under the seat". Well, I've got the driver's seat out and the carpet pulled up while I dry things out... so no better time to get this fixed, too, right?

I tried the yellow $20 B800 but that kept showing errors, no matter how well I followed the directions. I have a decent code reader that has some extra functions, but it doesn't do Airbag stuff - primarily just P-codes. I've been searching through posts on this site but am still confused. I came across the Launch product by googling and it "appears" to be pretty decent - and does not only regular codes and Airbag, but also does this for ALL makes, for about the same price as the Peake Research Airbag tool. I sware I've seen mechanics using Launch tools, so at least the brand is reputable? Or am I wrong? I don't need to do any indepth coding... but then I really don't know what that means or what it can do for me!

Can Airbag be read through the OBDII port under the dash on my car, or does it have to be read through the port in the engine compartment? I ask because it appears that this code reader doesn't come with the adpater cable to go to the engine comartment port.

Thoughts, suggestions?

NOTE: I edited my post... I mistakenly wrote "ABS" when I should have been writing "Airbag". Sorry for the confusion!
    Last edited by DennisG01; 02-21-2018 at 08:50 AM.

My Cars
    2002 530i, 2001 325i
    I own it - it’s great, but lacking in BMW specific capabilities.

i use this one for BMW specific codes: https://www.amazon.com/Creator-C310-...00UFZP9RY?th=1. (I have the 110, not the 310.
    Last edited by caryalon; 02-20-2018 at 10:38 PM.

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Foxwell nt510 works great
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    For BMW-specific stuff, just get BMW Scanner 1.4 for your Windows laptop. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RHJTS2..._UipJAbXACKTZT
    It works on all Windows versions from XP to 10, 32-bit or 64-bit.
    Download the D2XX drivers from ftdichip.com. http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

For engine running issues, you can’t beat the OBD Fusion app with a wireless OBDII adapter.
    https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    NOTE: I edited my first post... I mistakenly wrote "ABS" when I should have been writing "Airbag". Sorry for the confusion!

I'll look at all of those scanners. Thank you.

Caryalon... what things would you want it to do that it does not do?

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Foxwell looks interesting, but it's about the same price as the Launch unit, yet only does BMW while the Launch does all makes? Although it looks like it does some kind of "actuation" of the brakes?

The laptop unit... I read as much I could about it, but most of it was like reading Greek to me! That might be a little too computer-savy for me.

Fusion has the cool factor, but unless I'm missing something it's just a basic code reader (which I already have) and doesn't do Air Bag stuff?

- - - Updated - - -

Foxwell looks interesting, but it's about the same price as the Launch unit, yet only does BMW while the Launch does all makes? Although it looks like it does some kind of "actuation" of the brakes?

The laptop unit... I read as much I could about it, but most of it was like reading Greek to me! That might be a little too computer-savy for me.

Fusion has the cool factor, but unless I'm missing something it's just a basic code reader (which I already have) and doesn't do Air Bag stuff?

The Creator 110 doesn't do Air Bag (I think), but it looks like the 310 does for a couple bucks more. But then the Launch does all vehicles for $90 more than the 310... decisions, decisions, decisions!

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    I've got the smaller bluetooth based Launch scanner, with the BMW specific software. I like it. I tend to use it when I'm looking at friends cars. Occasionally, I'll use it on my 528i. But more often than not I'll pull out my laptop and use Inpa / DIS.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    If you want an SRS reader, get the Peake SRS tool. It plugs onto the 20-pin connector under the hood.

The OBD connector under the dash on early cars does not carry all the signals that are available on the 20-pin.

BTW, AFAIK, there is not a seat sensor on the driver's seat.

Some years ago, I had to remate the two connectors on the sensor electronics, and the problem went away. It's the small box at the rear of the seat bottom.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    If you want an SRS reader, get the Peake SRS tool. It plugs onto the 20-pin connector under the hood.

The OBD connector under the dash on early cars does not carry all the signals that are available on the 20-pin.

Some years ago, I had to remate the two connectors on the sensor electronics, and the problem went away. It's the small box at the rear of the seat bottom.
    I would not waste your money on the Peake reader. It’s overpriced ($130), a pain to use, and very limited.

For $25 BMW Scanner 1.4 runs circle around it.
    https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Scann...mw+scanner+1.4

If you have an early car that requires connection to the 20-pin under-hood connector, just get a 20-pin to 16-pin OBD adapter like this one for about $10.
    https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Femal...mw+obd+adapter

Don’t have a Windows laptop? Get a cheap one off ebay.

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post

I did think of that Peake tool, but it seems expensive for an "airbag" only tool.

The sensor I was vaguely referring to is the airbag sensor that is actually under the carpet (below the driver's seat)... or at least "I think" that is what I'm seeing (it's actually under the rear floor vent).

I called Launch... good thing I did. They said even with a 16-20 pin cable, the 123 and 129 models still cann not read airbag codes. I would need to jump up to the 229 model which is $400.

The laptop things look neat, but I think they're above my pay grade in terms of using them and/or updating, etc. I wish I knew more about those as I do have an older laptop running Windows Home 7 (I think that's the name of the operating system, anyways). And Home 7 is later than XP so it should work? Maybe it has to be ONLY XP?

Trying to get a hold of Creator to check on the 310 to see if it will read/clear the Airbag codes (after what I learned about the Launch). But I keep getting webpages written in Chinese.
    Last edited by DennisG01; 02-22-2018 at 12:20 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisG01 View Post
    The laptop things look neat, but I think they're above my pay grade in terms of using them and/or updating, etc. I wish I knew more about those as I do have an older laptop running Windows Home 7 (I think that's the name of the operating system, anyways). And Home 7 is later than XP so it should work? Maybe it has to be ONLY XP?
    BMW Scanner is very easy to install and use. Here’s an idea of what it can do.
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1067835

I would be happy to help you set it up if you like.

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Thank you - I'll look at that closer when I get home. Can I use my Windows 7 laptop?

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Thank you - I'll look at that closer when I get home. Can I use my Windows 7 laptop?
    See post #4 above.

My Cars
    2002 530i, 2001 325i
    NOTE: I edited my first post... I mistakenly wrote "ABS" when I should have been writing "Airbag". Sorry for the confusion!

I'll look at all of those scanners. Thank you.

Caryalon... what things would you want it to do that it does not do?
    The 123 is great for OBD codes and a couple of other systems on a wide range of cars. The 110/310 and PA Soft/INPA/etc. are BMW specific, and address many other systems.

I use all of the above. I like having a reader that’s small and easy to take with me. Easy to grab and go, more so than PA Soft/etc.

There is no “one size fits all” solution. If I were you, I’d probably buy the 110/310 to start. It works out of the box, it’s cheap, and give a lot of information.

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Quote Originally Posted by balidawg View Post
    See post #4 above.
    Sorry, totally missed that. I had went to the link and it said "Must work with XP", but it didn't say anything about newer OS's.

I like what the 1.4 can do, I'm just a little worried that it might be too complex for what I want to do. I may change my mind later, but for now I'm going to start with the C310. Thank you for offer to help set it up - I won't forget that if I buy it later!

Thanks for the extra info Caryalon! And thank you to everyone that helped!

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Well, I'm having zero luck here...

I received the Creator C310+ and the 20 pin to 16 pin connector for under the hood:

-- Turned key to the second position (on, but not running)
    -- Plugged reader into underhood connector
    -- Can read "driver" system (P codes, tranny, etc)
    -- Can't read Chassis or Body systems - keep getting error message
    -- Noticed that even though I select "read automatically", I still have to manually select "5 series" then "e39"

In a nutshell... I know that there is an airbag code present, but I can't read it (nor could I read it with that cheapie B800)

The seats are currently out of the vehicle, but I can't imagine that is causing any issues. I couldn't read ANY Chassis or Body systems.

For anyone that's familiar with the Creator... what am I doing wrong?

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    I have the Creator 310 - I kind of remember there being an issue between what can be read with the key in the ON position VS what can be read with the engine running.

The settings you seek are certainly in Body Or Driver- not under Engine.

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Thanks, M-Fan. Yes, I found the airbag system in the "body" section. I'll try it with the engine running tonight.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    For some reason I also want to add that switching your steps 1 & 2 also makes a difference. Plug it in then kp2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Thanks, Bear. I tried that as well... no luck.

So I just tried plug in then start engine... no good. Then I started engine and plugged in... no good.

I was able to read the live datastream. But I can't read any Chassis or Body things. AND, the auto read doesn't work... which means I have to go into each system one by one to check for codes?

Anyone that has a 310 want to try mine? I'll mail it to you. If yours works for you, and mine does, then I have a connectivity problem. Otherwise I have a defective unit. But since that B800 reader I tried didn't work, either (but it was a chinese knockoff), I'm thinking connectivity problem. Maybe the pins just aren't making good contact? Contacts are clean - no corrosion.

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    if you are headed to NYC anytime soon- or if I visit Muhlenberg I'll send a note.

good luck with this

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Quote Originally Posted by bigMphan View Post
    if you are headed to NYC anytime soon- or if I visit Muhlenberg I'll send a note.

good luck with this
    Thanks! Have a kid at Muhlenburg? My brother in law went there and absolutely loved it.