Thread: Studding the head

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan

Studding the head

Are the majority of you installing the head studs in the block with the head off? I’m trying to avoid taking the head off, and I’m having a heckuva time getting the 12 point nut and washer down in there let alone getting a socket in place-keep running into the bottom of the lifter trays.

I’ve tried a dental pick, some pliers, a spring loaded grabby thing and my long E12 socket tool with a 12 point adapter I made:

No luck. I really don’t wanna take the VANOS apart or the head off, it was a bitch ( well a pain anyway) to re-time the cams.

Should I just pull the head???

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Cams and trays out.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SilburE36 View Post
    Are the majority of you installing the head studs in the block with the head off? I’m trying to avoid taking the head off, and I’m having a heckuva time getting the 12 point nut and washer down in there let alone getting a socket in place-keep running into the bottom of the lifter trays.

I’ve tried a dental pick, some pliers, a spring loaded grabby thing and my long E12 socket tool with a 12 point adapter I made:

No luck. I really don’t wanna take the VANOS apart or the head off, it was a bitch ( well a pain anyway) to re-time the cams.

Should I just pull the head???

Thanks

Can you not rotate the camshafts? There's divots in them for this very purpose.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You can do it with the cams and trays in. But you may want a wobble extension on a short socket and you may need to grind down the socket to make it skinnier. And yes, the cams have flats or grooves you can take advantage of for clearance if needed.

My Cars
    95 M3
    I did mine without removing the cams. I did have to grind two flats on the castle nut at 180 degrees from one another so that they would slide past the cams. I also left the bmw washers on place.
    WOT

My Cars
    2001 330i
    If you have 10mm head studs, this is possible.

With 11mm head studs, I've got E14 nuts......which you have to pull the cam trays for....

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I use a shaved 12mm socket (turn it on a belt sander). Works well.

My Cars
    M3
    I can't remember for sure but I think the duralast socket works but 3/8 drive

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    Thanks for the input everyone. I’ll shave my 12mm socket down some more. I’m primarily having trouble with head bolts #1 and 2-seems like there is more “meat” around the cam tray in that area. The remaining bolts are MUCH less obstructed. I’ll leave the OEM washers in place also-thx hsv.

On a somewhat unrelated note, is it acceptable to post pics directly from a phone, or is third party hosting (imgur etc) encouraged? It’s been years since I’ve posted to forums.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SilburE36 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I’ll shave my 12mm socket down some more. I’m primarily having trouble with head bolts #1 and 2-seems like there is more “meat” around the cam tray in that area. The remaining bolts are MUCH less obstructed. I’ll leave the OEM washers in place also-thx hsv.

On a somewhat unrelated note, is it acceptable to post pics directly from a phone, or is third party hosting (imgur etc) encouraged? It’s been years since I’ve posted to forums.

I dont see why not? Either / or

I'm sure the forum owners would like you to use a third party though, it would save them server space and bandwidth. Thing is with those free image hosting accounts is that they can delete your media at anytime or break the links