My Cars
    2005 330ci and 2008 Z4C

Please help - 2009 X5 Starting Issues after brand new battery

I was listening to the radio while the car was not running, after 30 minutes, the battery died. AAA came and jumped it using another person's car after trying for a long time (AAA couldn't jump in on their own)......and tested the battery and told me I need a new one.
    I drove the car right away to OReilly and bought a new battery.

The next morning, the car finally started after trying for about one minute. I had this problem for a few days, it took 30 seconds to a minute to finally start.

I researched online and found out I need to "register" the battery. I took it to my local BMW independent technician and they registered the battery and verified the battery was the correct one. I thought the problem would go away after the battery was programmed/registered.

Over the next 2 months, the problem would come and go....off and on. It's worse when the weather is cold or I'm trying to start the car in the morning or nighttime.

I push the button, it tries to turn and it won't. So I let go of the start button and try again....over and over until it finally starts.

All this happened after the new battery was installed. Never had this problem with the old battery.

The key fob battery is fine by the way. The starting issue is both with and without the fob in the ignition slot.

Could it be the starter? Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by hicucr; 02-20-2018 at 02:57 PM.

My Cars
    09 X5
    Could be alternator not charging sufficiently.

Check the alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2009 X5 35d
    Just because it is a new battery does not mean it's fully charged. Batteries can sit on a shelf in the store for months before being sold. Always fully charge any "new" battery over night.

My Cars
    My bet is on the starter. 6 cylinder engine?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    I have an '07 and the battery is in the rear.

If yours is the same, you might want to check that the terminal block that connects to the top of the battery (mine is orange red) is securely connected to the battery.
    Take a look at the cables too.

Also be sure that the battery is SECURELY fastened down. If it shifts, all kinds of problems will occur.

MUST DO WHEN CHANGING BATTERIES: Check that your new battery has been registered with your vehicle's computer.
    The computer must know what type battery it is supposed to be charging. You'd be surprised at how often it is found that the computer
    was set for charging an AGM type when the battery is actually a Standard type. It also needs to know the type of battery (AGM or Standard).
    A shop with an Autologic or similar scanner can verify that status of your alternator.
    It MUST be putting out at least 14v in order to charge the battery but not much more.

Hope that helps
    -B