Thread: Vanos helix gear lubrication?

My Cars
    1998 328i

Vanos helix gear lubrication?

I am a e36 guy wandering in here with an oddball question I hope someone knows the answer to.

I am using the m54 b30 intake cam for my single vanos m52 build because it is a cost effective, mild increase of duration and lift over the m52 cam which I have seen done before by trimming the helix gear on the end of the cam to make it fit the single vanos. I have this done, assembled and everything seems to move correctly (manually, motor is still on a stand).

My question is: does and how is the helix gear on the m54 cam lubricated? The m52 uses a one piece helix bolt/gear has a small passage through the center, which I presume proves lubrication from the hollow camshaft passage to the helix gear. On the m54 two piece bolt & gear, there is no such passage. Is there another way for oil to to reach this part or is it not necessarily? If needed, I assume the m54 setup has some provision for it but I don't know. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    I've had my M54 vanos unit off twice over the past 6 months. From what I observed and recall, the oil supply of the double vanos is independent of the oiling of the helix gear. The vanos oil supply comes directly from the oil filter housing by way of a flex hose and there is a small oil discharge hole on the back of the unit between the exhaust and intake sides. The oil discharges straight down. The units connect to the cams with a small cap screw with no direct oil passage between the vanos and the cam. Don't know if this helps or not, but that's what I recall.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    1998 328i
    That is a help, thanks.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Just in case anyone else was curious, I spent alot of time pondering this and while I did not want to pull it back apart (81 ft*lb), I couldn't see how this was fed. I finally remembered I had a spare which held the answer. A small groove is cut down the side of the gear where it seats on the cam, see pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images