eBMWParts

Thread: New car suspension?

My Cars
    06 325i

New car suspension?

Hello I am a first time bmw owner, I recently purchased 06 325I. So far I love the car I have always liked the style and character of numbers. The only thing is with this car I feel like I feel to much of the road in the car. I mean as I feel every slight bump and I can feel roughness on even decent driving surfaces, some which I wouldn't feel as much in my 1988 chevy pick-up. I think this is kinda strange being that this is considered a luxury saran compared to most vehicles made around that time. I don't know if the car has had any of the suspension changed on it but I do feel like it rides lower then a stock model would. I know given that the car is 12 years old its not going to be perfect but like I said some of the roads I travel on feel a lot smoother in my pickup that's 30 years old with complete stock suspension. I am new to the BMW land so I don't know a lot about them but I do know quite a bit about cars and trucks in general. So I'm no just drive and take it to the shop for a oil change type of person I like to do my maintenance. One it helps me better understand what dies what and it gives me more knowledge about my vehicles and just a sense of gratitude when you take care of your own stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Also sorry about spelling, punctuation and grammar. As I am not 4.0 collage attending spend mom and dad's money kind of person either. just a small town guy with common sense, Wikipedia and Google on my side. I do have plans for this car some big some small and will have to wait till I get back on my feet as I am dealing with other endeavors. But once that is done, this car will be my primary focus.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Welcome!

BMW is known to feel more on the "sporty" side handling wise and it may be that you are just not used to it. 3 series is not exactly a luxury car like a 7 series either, but more of an "entry level" BMW car. In addition to that you may have a vehicle equipped with a Sport package that would have sportier suspension/larger wheels. Speaking of wheels, your car probably has run flat tires and it is a known fact that first few generations of these tires ride harsh - something to keep in mind as well.

Now, you mention that you think it sits lower than it should: there is a good chance that the previous owner installed aftermarket suspension of some sort. This is quick and easy to check for one with a trained eye, so I would suggest perhaps finding some local enthusiast who would be willing to take a look and steer you in the right direction. Check out regional sub-forums here, I am sure you will find somebody who is local and willing to help.

Good luck!

My Cars
    06 325i
    Thank you for the info, it is a 6-speed manual so assume it is a sport version. It also has 19in rims that are around 10in wide just guessing. Also I said it luxury compared to the standard sedans around that time power everything including seats. Its overall a good car I like the ride the sporty feel to the seat and you can definitely tell its a race inspired vehicle. I'm searching for a car club in my surrounding area to educate me on car but I do appreciate your help.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    There are VIN decoders out there on the web, you could input your VIN and it will tell you what options you have on the car - I am not too fluent in e90 body style. 19" rims will contribute to harsh ride some. See if you have a local BMW CCA chapter, that would be a good start.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Actually a real BMW is meant to provide true road feedback.
    Hence the term "The Ultimate Driving Machine"!!
    From your description, I would say your vehicle has been modified.
    I would think that in its stock configuration, you would appreciate the ride & handling.

I feel 16"- rims&tires, stock suspension refresh, and stock alignment specs would make you a happy camper.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    What shape are your tires in? I just replaced my worn michelin pilot sports with new ones. Two were down to the wear bars and replacing them with a fresh set made a huge difference.

My Cars
    1987 325is
    I just jumped into the BMW world also. I got really lucky w my 1987 325is, 3rd owner. Was bought new and spent 25years w a retired BMW mechanic. Gorgeous car. It's a driver's car, I think maybe all BMWs are built to drive. It's a bit stiff and sporty and I'm ok with that when I hit the twisting roads of Hawaii! Fun is what ur feeling front the chassis. If u want smooth and silky try a Mercedes or a Cadillac.