Thread: Shift pin kit install. Is this normal?

My Cars
    99 M Roady; 02 540it

Shift pin kit install. Is this normal?

Someone give me a clue, lol.
    Just bought and used Thayer Motorsports drift kit and ZF trans pin and bushing kit and just finishing up and came across a possible issue? Any help would be much appreciated. Video explains
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ZmgkNU0zs

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Looks like you installed one of the bushing too far as you used the wrong drift pin. Ask me how I know.....

Remove the 5th and reverse detent pins, look inside the holes while you activate the shifter and see if the fork is hitting the bushing..
    PM me if you want to talk. I've done several of these and F'ed one up by going too quick and grabbing the wrong drift pin. Cost me three days and $5 for another bushing..

My Cars
    99 M Roady; 02 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    Looks like you installed one of the bushing too far as you used the wrong drift pin. Ask me how I know.....

Remove the 5th and reverse detent pins, look inside the holes while you activate the shifter and see if the fork is hitting the bushing..
    PM me if you want to talk. I've done several of these and F'ed one up by going too quick and grabbing the wrong drift pin. Cost me three days and $5 for another bushing..
    Thanks so much for replying. I am dumbfounded. I did this exactly.....

• To install the new lined bushings for the reverse gear pins, slide a bushing (BMW 23117542726) onto the reverse pin bushing drift (BMW 234023), and tape into place with a mallet until the drift bottoms out against the transmission case (fig. 06-01).
    • Installing the 5th gear bushing is the same as the reverse bushing, except that the slightly-shorter 5th gear bushing drift is used (BMW 234022).

One guy guy told me to put the circle clips back in, then roll the transmission on a table all way over once or twice and things will “fall into place or get properly seated” and I’ll be good. That sounds weird.

My Cars
    99 M Roady; 02 540it
    Quick update for all. Apparently when you have this symptom, literally just roll the transmission over one turn ad things “fall into place”. Lol. Works like a charm!

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Glad you got it sorted. I thought someone was pulling your leg but apparently not! Good to know for future project.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    I'm currently installing new bushings and pins for reverse and 5th gear and am having trouble placing the sealing cap and retaining ring back on. Can anyone provide any tips? Thanks in advance.