Thread: Transmission

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i

Transmission

Hello everyone, I have a 1998 BMW 528i with 265,000 miles on it. I bought the car 10k miles ago but after about 7k miles I've had something happen to the car. I am not very a car guy but I am always trying to learn and I have to say before buying the car I knew nothing. What happened after around 7k miles was the transmission was kind of getting stuck. For example I would slowly accelerate and I would watch the RPMs. It was going up to 2 then it would try to go up but it would fall down again, it was taking it couple of tries and when I press the gas harder that would all happen faster and I would get a hard push after it goes above 3 RPMs. This happens couple times, throughout a 70mile drive a day. Does anyone know what might be wrong? I heard from friends that the transmission is failing. Sorry for my English.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Read the trouble codes from the EGS and post here.

When was the ATF fluid and filter last changed?

My Cars
    740i, 330i, A6
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonis1210 View Post
    Hello everyone, I have a 1998 BMW 528i with 265,000 miles on it. I bought the car 10k miles ago but after about 7k miles I've had something happen to the car. I am not very a car guy but I am always trying to learn and I have to say before buying the car I knew nothing. What happened after around 7k miles was the transmission was kind of getting stuck. For example I would slowly accelerate and I would watch the RPMs. It was going up to 2 then it would try to go up but it would fall down again, it was taking it couple of tries and when I press the gas harder that would all happen faster and I would get a hard push after it goes above 3 RPMs. This happens couple times, throughout a 70mile drive a day. Does anyone know what might be wrong? I heard from friends that the transmission is failing. Sorry for my English.
    You have a high mileage car, 265K miles, the condition of the transmission, and entire drivetrain, depends on how it was driven and maintained in its lifetime. You should hope for the best in the case of your transmission but in many cases once they start to fail it can mean a rebuild or replacement is needed. If you are set on learning about your transmission and resolving it yourself then you will need to educate yourself about diagnosing and fixing your car, the information is on the internet, study, study, study. In this case I recommend to take your car to an independent shop that is experienced with BMWs and get it checked out. You may learn much just with talking to them and they could give you a path forward on what to do. They will likely charge you a fee for diagnosing your car. To fully diagnose the transmission it is important to take off the bottom pan of the transmission to see if there is broken pieces of the internal transmission laying in the pan, bad news if there is. If the pan looks good, a new OEM filter and new fluid will help in some case to get the transmission to function properly.
    2001 BMW 740i - Anthracite Gray - Style 32 Wheels --------- 2004 BMW 330i - Silver Grey Metallic
    Convenience Pkg - Cold Weather Pkg - PDC ------------------- Sport Package - Auto - Mroof - Hseats