Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 95 M3 Turbo "Build" (strapping a 6266 to a stock 200k mile motor)

My Cars
    Lots.
    Nada.
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Ok I think I finally fixed it... maybe

My Cars
    E36 Turbo, E39 M5
    Yes sir all pics are working.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz17 View Post
    Anyone have any idea which headers these are? Seemed pretty solid and fit well.
    They look like Remus headers, or replica Remus headers.

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Photobucket is still infuriating but I managed to get these few pics going.

Pulled the head any everything that goes with it weekend before last. Wipers, ECM harness, injector harness (moved it out of the way), fan, valve cover, head studs, vanos, etc.

Looked a little crispy but not too bad inside for over 200,000 miles. Did have one valve that liked to party I guess.

Looking to hopefully have VAC get me a reconditioned head.

And it's definitely an S50! Was a tad worried for a minute has it had a bore symbol on it of 84 I saw once we pulled head... Guess it's just a casting mark from factory before it gets bored out.

Was in Houston this past weekend for TX2K18 so did not get anything done. Not gonna be able to do much this weekend since head won't be ready but hopefully cleaning off the pistons and tops of cylinder walls to see condition.

I took some good videos of some street runs in TX in my buddy's GT-R. Will try to upload to YouTube and put a link in here for anyone interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Did not get to do much this weekend. Just cleaned up the pistons a bit since they were more than a little carbon'd up lol.

Got 3 done before I felt like my fingers were gonna fall off and I had to go to dinner. Coming along though.

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Got some more stuff done this weekend. After helping a buddy replace the DEF heater on his 6.7 Ford, got to it.

Picked up a fresh head with fresh guides, valves already lapped, etc. from a buddy for a cool $250 which is a steal. Ordered some Supertech valve springs & retainers to go with it since I can't be happy just saving money.

Finished cleaning the pistons and started cleaning to top of the block as well. The pic of the block cleaned more won't upload for some reason of course though.

And finally pulled my cams and trays out since they are going in the fresh head.

Hopefully getting the springs and everything in this week so I can put the head together and start putting the motor back together (let's hope).

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz17 View Post
    Got some more stuff done this weekend. After helping a buddy replace the DEF heater on his 6.7 Ford, got to it.

Picked up a fresh head with fresh guides, valves already lapped, etc. from a buddy for a cool $250 which is a steal. Ordered some Supertech valve springs & retainers to go with it since I can't be happy just saving money.

Finished cleaning the pistons and started cleaning to top of the block as well. The pic of the block cleaned more won't upload for some reason of course though.

And finally pulled my cams and trays out since they are going in the fresh head.

Hopefully getting the springs and everything in this week so I can put the head together and start putting the motor back together (let's hope).
    What are you using to clean the block surface?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by drstuess View Post
    What are you using to clean the block surface?

3M Roloc bristle discs attached to a drill and some scotch brite pads with WD-40.

Just have to be careful but cast iron blocks are a little more forgiving than aluminum.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Thanks! Ended up doing the same over the weekend, after using a scraper amd some brake clean. People's opinions on this are all over the place and it is really tribal, so without any firsthand experience I was a little unsure which way to go. In the absence of taking it to be machined, I sided with something that would be hard to take material off and create a low spot.

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by drstuess View Post
    Thanks! Ended up doing the same over the weekend, after using a scraper amd some brake clean. People's opinions on this are all over the place and it is really tribal, so without any firsthand experience I was a little unsure which way to go. In the absence of taking it to be machined, I sided with something that would be hard to take material off and create a low spot.

If the car was going to make 1000whp maybe I would be a bit more careful, but engines are not made of glass. As long as you take your time and don't be stupid about it, should be fine.

Agreed, a lot of people start putting on war paint at this topic lol.

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    The title of this thread has officially become an outright lie. But I am excite.

Hopefully start putting the engine back together this weekend.

Buddy of mine saw this today. Unsure if real but sure looks it.

And for anyone who lives in NJ:

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    mmmmmmmm

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Did not take pictures of everything from this weekend butttt:

1) Finished final cleaning of the bottom end.

2) Got the supertech valve spring kit installed with new locks.

3) Installed the new water pump kit (water pump, belt, pulley) from FCPEuro.
    4) Installed new thermostat with gasket.

5) Installed cam trays & lifters into head. Left cams out till after head is on to make head stud access easier.

6) Rebuilt VANOS with Beisan seals & rattle kits. Snapped the bolt inside because I am a turd and did not realize it was left threaded lol. But Beisan is awesome and is sending me a new one that should be here tomorrow! They replied to my email at 10:30pm on Sunday and got me squared away immediately. Highly recommend them.

7) Got the manifold, valve cover, and shift knob back from coating. Mani was ceramic coated, while VC and knob were both done in wrinkle black powder. :parrot:

If I don't have to go pick up a car in California with my brother this weekend the head should be getting installed. Otherwise it will be the weekend after.

On to the pics:

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Pretty sure a CSL was only that silver color.

My Cars
    E36
    Seems like people on the forums prep the block in many different ways. Some have used sandpaper from 400 grit all the way to 1200 with CES cutring/spacer. I think thats what I did along with copper spray on the spacer and some rtv where timing cover meets block.

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    Seems like people on the forums prep the block in many different ways. Some have used sandpaper from 400 grit all the way to 1200 with CES cutring/spacer. I think thats what I did along with copper spray on the spacer and some rtv where timing cover meets block.
    Yep definitely a few ways to skin this cat. I am also going with the CES cutring & spacer with the copper spray and RTV in the same capacities as you did though.

My Cars
    1995 Avus M3
    So glad to see a recent twin-scroll build thread. Hopefully one day I'll get to throwing a snail on the M3.

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Finally got the head back on today!

Started the torque procedure. Finishing it up tomorrow and hopefully getting some more of the engine put back together.

Also reassembled the Vanos with new seals & rattle repair from Beisan Systems. Shout out to them too - I snapped the left threaded bolt in the Vanos because I did not know it was left threaded lol. Emailed Raj and he answered me immediately at 1030 at night on a Sunday and sent me one out the next morning! Great dude and company. They’re kits and write ups are awesome.

Also shoutout to CES. Got their cutring headgasket + copper spacer kit. The copper spacer ended up not being cut correctly from their supplier. I didn’t notice until I went to install last week. John immediately recognized the issue and had a full new kit sent out to me in two days. Always nice when these companies treat their customers so well. His forum write up for installing the kit + head studs is also really helpful.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    is there anything wrong with getting the block machined just skimming a small layer like decking the head? Seems like the tiny amount of material would be negligible....

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Machining the block would be ideal but you would want to totally disassemble prairie to machining to insure you don’t contaminate it.
    Last edited by chikinhed; 05-14-2018 at 08:56 PM.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Machining the block would be idea but you would want to totally disassemble prairie to machining to insure you don’t contaminate it.
    Cool I’ll have to bore anyway so it’ll already be apart. So I’m assuming.

1) bore/ hone with torque plate

2) deck block

That the correct order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bavdrftr318 View Post
    Cool I’ll have to bore anyway so it’ll already be apart. So I’m assuming.

1) bore/ hone with torque plate

2) deck block

That the correct order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Typically yes, but whatever machine shop you bring it to will know what order to do everything in. Unfortunately you have to pull literally everything apart to do that, and I did not want to build the bottom end. My cylinder walls and pistons were actually in pretty decent shape once I cleaned em up, so I am going to see what the stock bottom end can do.

- - - Updated - - -

List for my own use:

-Reinstall rest of head
    -Drain oil
    -Drop oil pan & install bunged one
    -Install new end links and strut tower reinforcements while subframe is down
    -Fab up intercooler mounts
    -Install manifold
    -Run oil lines
    -Run boost lines

Buy
    -Intercooler piping - bead rolled ends & bov flange, silicone & clamps
    -Exhaust & wastegate dumps piping

My Cars
    CES Stage 3 Turbo M3
    Looking good!!!

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Got delayed a bit again! Picked up a new daily that I have to try to refrain from spending money on lol.

But this past Saturday, after checking the torque on the head bolts for what was probably the 6th time, I put the motor all back together.

I love when manufacturers do cool shit like this. Literally zero use for these two plugs except to give you access to the exhaust cam gear bolts.

And that valve cover just came out great.

How she sits:

Gonna try to get the intake mani and everything else plugged back in and fire it up for a bit before I dive into all of the turbo stuff. Slowly but surely...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12