Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 tire thread!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

2018 tire thread!

Hey guys, about to order some sets of burners, and I'll need new steer wheels soon too. I had great luck last season with ohtsu FP7000's, seemed to have great treadwear while being spun, and provided good grip too.
    Any other suggestions? The fp7000's went up a bit in price, like $20 a pop, so I'm curious as to what everyone's using.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I like my triangles.

I'll reiterate that federal changed their compound and now they delam and suuuuck.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I like my triangles.

I'll reiterate that federal changed their compound and now they delam and suuuuck.
    That's actually really good to know since I've been wanting to try 595's.

Not that I've been driving long, but I've been using achilles atr sports

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I had a set of ATR sport 2s. They lasted 3 laps before they were mud. 7 laps total before they failed completely. But others seem to love them.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 328is
    i made a deal with my local mobile tire shop for free mount/dismounts and Kendas at cost + tax. i might be on the Kenda KR20 train soon. However, i recently started drowning in free 17's. so im gonna use those up first.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    On the RX7 I use Kenda KR20s (265/35r18), on the BMW I've been using Kuhmo ASX (245/45r17), but I am trying to switch to Zenna for both of them.

My Cars
    none
    I used to use fp7000 and liked them for the price. This year so far Ive used kenda's and they are great. They have good level of grip, haven't chunked, and last really really well. Hard to try anything else, honestly have no reason to switch from kenda.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    FP7000's are the Discontinued Falken Ziex 512's if anyone is wondering. Otsu is Falken's discount brand.

I don't think thats right Yoshi, I around here Feddy 595's are the go to for all the local guys here and they are consistently wearing them down flat without delaminating. Most of the dudes at OSW are using 595's with no complaints. Maybe they changed their compound back or something but they seem fine as of late.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Check the manufacturing date. Mine were all made in the last 2 years. I literally have a whole tread off a 595 I hung on my garage. I don't know. I saw a couple other guys in my area do the same. IIRC OSW is pretty nice on tires. Dunno about the parking lot.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I have ran like 3-4 pairs of the 595s in the last couple years, none of them delammed but they didn't last at all and were generally just unimpressive. Jeepster however had a few delam horribly so maybe it's just a gamble

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I’ve heard they were always kinda prone to delamination, guys used to run em backwards to help from peeling the tread off.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I've done that with no change in result. It also makes no sense to me.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    I just ordered 595rs-rrs for my front so hopefully they're not completely teribad. Just ran ATR sport 2s up front. Solid tire for the price. They like to push when they get really hot but otherwise really good value for money.

But last year I did some testing on different cheapo compounds and here is what I found.

ATR Sport 2: Tons of grip for the price. They do not like to be hot lapped. Recommend running a few laps and rotating to prolong life and or heat cycling before use. But otherwise, awesome tire.

Westlake SA07: Holy balls. They go on sale on tireseasy/simpletire and when they do I'd highly recommend. They last forever. 6 Lasted me two back to back full day events including a comp. They do not chunk, they do not delam, and they maintain consistent predictable grip all the way to the end.

Iron man Gen 2s: Tons of smoke, reasonable grip, super cheap, would recommend just based on price.

Antares Ingens 01: No Grip. Last eightever. Walmart has them cheap. wouldn't recommend.

Nankang NS-20: Decent grip, not the best lifespan. Super cheap. Would recommend based on price.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrcanes55 View Post
    I just ordered 595rs-rrs for my front so hopefully they're not completely teribad. Just ran ATR sport 2s up front. Solid tire for the price. They like to push when they get really hot but otherwise really good value for money.

Ive got atr up front right now and I'm not a fan, but i think they are old (came on wheels I bought) I want rsr but I cant get the size I want. let me know what you think of them, i might try and find a different wheel so I can have more tire options if they are worth it. I liked the 595 for steer tires that i used to have so i imagine the rsr are going to be great.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    So here's a weird question- Would it negatively effect drifting performance to use 255's up front when I've got 215-225's on the rear? I've got a set of good summers for my wider wheels... Wondering if anyone has any experience with the reverse stagger.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    So here's a weird question- Would it negatively effect drifting performance to use 255's up front when I've got 215-225's on the rear? I've got a set of good summers for my wider wheels... Wondering if anyone has any experience with the reverse stagger.
    I think the bigger concern is room for steering angle up front with a 255 depending on sidewall and ride height, you can always play with tire pressure in the rear to help with balance but it shouldn't be an issue.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    I have been running a 245/40 18 on the front of my e46 with slr ultra and it hits the swaybar so I'm dropping to a 235/40 18 to try and get a bit more out of it. That's with an 18x8.5 at et0. A 255 is a bit overkill imo. I ran 245/35 18s when I just had rack spacers on an 18x9 et12 and it didn't hit anything. But I think realistically you want either a 225 or 235 front with a sticky compound. As far as the big front, small rear bias thingy goes, I run anywhere between 205 and 225 in the rear and I haven't had any issues. It's really more about tire pressure and compound than anything. The 205/55 17 Pirelli p7s I get from work are insane. At 25psi (hot) I couldn't tach my car out in second last weekend on the fastest part of the course and the damn thing was a rocket ship.
    Last edited by Jrcanes55; 02-26-2018 at 02:42 PM.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I might try the big ones I've got up front, I happen to have them laying around.
    For the record, I picked up 4 FP7000's and a pair of Fuzion UHP A/S's.
    know I like the FP7000's, I paid $65/per including shipping, 215/45-17, have great treadlife and wear wonderfully. Got a little greasy in the last 1/5 of the tread, so I would swap out at that point. I actually dailied the tires on teh rear of my 335 in bewteen sets of tires, and they've got another 4kish miles on them at this point, and they're just now getting bald.
    I ran fuzions I bought used once, with 3/4 tread, adn they lasted pretty well. I figured I'd try a set of these to see if they're worth it. These, along with the 3 sets of used tires I have, will hopefully last me my first 2 drift days!

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    check out Piner's grip balance video before buying tires

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    check out Piner's grip balance video before buying tires
    Can't quite find the video you're referring to in the Google. Mind linking it?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Huh, good video. I mean I think the 255's are a little much, thought that before I even asked- But maybe for the clinic I have coming up (Club Loose pre-season) I'll run the pretty worn summers I was using last season. The balance of grip was super great with them.

My Cars
    none
    The best upgrade I've ever made to my car other than coilovers was new, appropriately sized matching tires. It levels the playing field, you're no longer compensating for that factor. Even if you run fp7000 all around, now your tire pressure changes and dampening clicks are more relatable. I'm not saying its going to make you the best driver, but it will set the bar for the previously discussed grip balance, and take another hurtle out of driving the car. spending money on tires sucks i know, but for me it was so worth the feedback, and the extended tire life. Run after run after run .

My opinion, 215/40 federal 595 front, and kenda 215/40 rears was a match made in heaven. rack spacers, stock power and 3:15 diff.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I found with my stock power m3, 215/40 triangles up front with a 215/40 triangle/zenna/a1 out back was the jam. Could run a lower tire pressure for more bite and wouldn’t ever push the front end around.

Currently I’m running the same 215/40 triangle up front, with a 225/45 zenna/Ironman our back and a really grippy setup and again, it doesn’t push the front end around at all.

Prior to this setup I was running whatever I could find with a good amount of tread for steer tires, and even with a 225/45 with good tread up front having a new 215/40 out back it would understeer going into corners.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    FireHawk Indy
    Azenis FK510
    Ecsta PS31
    Hercules Ironman
    Ironman Imove
    Zenna Argus
    Lexani LXUHP
    Lionheart LH503

This is the list I have narrowed my tire search down to strictly on price and size availability. Anyone know much about any of these?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast