Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: losing the fascination

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs

losing the fascination

Last night I could barely catch up to some kind of VW, wasn't a GTI,or very new,either. I hit limiter in 3rd and 4th?(3.70 rear).Now looking at a Jag "F" on Ebay, will I regret a switch?

My Cars
    z3
    Newer cars have more speed but less soul...

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    Last night I could barely catch up to some kind of VW, wasn't a GTI,or very new,either. I hit limiter in 3rd and 4th?(3.70 rear).Now looking at a Jag "F" on Ebay, will I regret a switch?
    Yes you will. Put a snail on it

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    We have all sorts of reasons for getting into cars. Some like to wrench and fix things up. Some like the sensory experience of driving. Some like the speed and competition. Usually, it's some combination of those three.

If your M Coupe is keeping you from "catching up to" other cars, an F Type will eventually will fail you there, too. It might take a decade, but it will happen. Then again, everything will fail, on a long enough time line. We're all just renting this stuff anyway.

If you really think your love affair with the M Coupe is over and can not be rekindled, there's a nice resale market out there willing to take your M coupe off your hands for a not insignificant sum of money. Time will only make it more valuable. Go on some test drives. Try some new cars.

If you get a thrill from a new machine that your current car is not providing, and you keep thinking about it for a month after the test drive, you know what needs to be done. Just don't give up the M Coupe on a whim. You might find there's more to it than "catching up to" other cars.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Why sweat it?
    There will ALWAYS BE someone or something faster!!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw,the VW that got you was probably a sleeper.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster
    Just about every performance car today comes with 300+ hp. It woudln't take a sleeper to outrun an 20 year old car. It can be done with a Camry. I'd rather be in my roadster.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Why sweat it?
    There will ALWAYS BE someone or something faster!!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw,the VW that got you was probably a sleeper.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by tistan View Post
    Just about every performance car today comes with 300+ hp. It woudln't take a sleeper to outrun an 20 year old car. It can be done with a Camry. I'd rather be in my roadster.
    Idk, quite sure even a new camry won't be outrunning an S54...

Those basic economy car S52 M coupes though, maybe

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    98 Z3, 97 328i vert
    It all depends on where you were driving. Just some straight road is unimportant. Anyone can floor it and point down the road.
    Now if you were on a curvy mountain road where HP just does not mean as much as keeping the speed through the curve and getting the line right.
    Where coming out of a curve to get past them before they wind up, their box of a car, to speed. Then leaving them in the dust that two curves later you don't see them. I need better tires more than more HP.
    Last edited by catimann; 02-19-2018 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    If you like the coupe at all, I think you would regret selling.

Keep the coupe, but also get a cheap used 335 or some other forced induction car that you can chip.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I'm surprised no one suggested turbocharging. Then you get to keep your car ... and beat most VWs ........... I've mentioned this before: I've owned much more powerful cars, that I modified until I could see there was no end to it. Now, I keep a small hammer in my cab. Everytime I get some thought about needing to go faster, I hit myself with the hammer until the thought goes away.
    Last edited by zellamay; 02-19-2018 at 02:01 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    I'm surprised no one suggested turbocharging. Then you get to keep your car ... and beat most VWs ........... I've mentioned this before: I've owned much more powerful cars, that I modified until I could see there was no end to it. Now, I keep a small hammer in my cab. Everytime I get some thought about needing to go faster, I hit myself with the hammer until the thought goes away.
    Ummmmm....they did. post #3. Coming from a shoe snail owner themselves.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    99 M Coupe...
    losing the fascination... Last night I could barely catch up to some kind of VW...
    I am fascinated for other reasons, obviously.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    z3

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    Yes you will. Put a snail on it
    +1... If you ever think of putting it back to stock, I would also suggest SC route since the SC done/undone fairly at ease.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Newer cars have more speed but less soul...
    The Jag review mentions lack of "soul" in the steering feedback, the Bimmer is telepathic, I call it a 4 wheeled motorcycle, I have a blower, some extra torque would be nice, I'd go back to a 3.15 and not be spinning 4k on the beltway.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    +1... If you ever think of putting it back to stock, I would also suggest SC route since the SC done/undone fairly at ease.
    If i had to do it over, I would do a twin screw.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Ummmmm....they did. post #3. Coming from a shoe snail owner themselves.
    Right over my head. I've owned a few turbocharged cars and missed that one. Makes sense, it looks like a snail..........

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Lol I love to remind myself of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I wasn't attempting to be cruel, just offering a different point of view!
    Enjoy what you have available ,for the pure joy of ownership, life is short-ENJOY!!

My Cars
    00 EG M Coupe
    If i had to do it over, I would do a twin screw.
    Are they still readily available?
    WTB: Z3 M Coupe - G-Power front splitters, driver's side door panel

WTB: E36 M3 Coupe - CF Roof plug, LTW Spoiler

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmaflac View Post
    Are they still readily available?
    bolt on for the GT500 eaton blower: https://hydemotorworks.com/supercharger-setups/

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Anyone have this Supercharger on their Z3? or know of someone who does? Might be interested in putting one on my M54 engine.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster
    I do love the sound of an Eaton. Had a few lightnings in my life. How much does a custom tune for a s52 roadster run?

- - - Updated - - -

Instant torque doesn't hurt either

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    I do love the sound of an Eaton. Had a few lightnings in my life. How much does a custom tune for a s52 roadster run?

- - - Updated - - -

Instant torque doesn't hurt either
    I think you should figure about $1-1.5k for the tune.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 1.9
    There will always be something faster out there...I sold my 83 Rabbit GTI sleeper that had the original 1.8 bottom end with a full on top end including a period correct Callaway Turbo with a T-4 Rotomaster snail on modified CIS. This thing was a beast with 175 whp and tq from 3500-6500 on a 1900 lb car...I shocked a LOT of cars out there, especially when I cracked it open and the open dump roared to life.

That said, I'm on this forum now because my wife hated that car...her dad gave her his 98 z-3 roadster 1.9 with 65k on it. We both love that car...not the fastest for sure, but certainly well balanced and fun to drive. Most people reference it as a vintage model at this point when we take it out and it always gets attention for how clean it is.

A friend of mine let me drive his GT-3 a few years ago when it was brand new....now that thing was a true rocket and made everything I drove after that for the next month feel like it was crawling. It's really up to you on the upgrade, but I'd say keep yours if it's just a mater of feeling like you can keep up or not...you have options available to bring yours to the next level!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast