Thread: 2000 Bmw 528i

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw

2000 Bmw 528i

Okay so I currently have my engine tore apart due to recent repairs it's the m52 with dual vanos. I'm currently running a head of an m54 with the shorter valve springs and I'm about to swap the cams as well because they are larger and will run better with the 3.0 head.

Okay to the point now. My question is while I have the oil pan off can a swap in the crankshaft from the m54b30 without pulling my head to swap the piston and connecting rods? I'd like to have the crankshaft with 5.6mm more stroke and I know the rods are the same length; but the 3.0 has a shorter piston compression height by 3.5mm. I'm just curious if I can swap the crankshaft without the pistons slapping the head or bending valves. I'm not trying to pull my head so if the swap can't be done without doing the piston as well I'll pass and just stick with the cam upgrade.

Sorry If this is a "stupid question" I'm not completely familiar with how stroke works.

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    I am almost certain your pistons would need to be milled down by 4mm if they are the same pistons as the M52B28
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    They should be the same pistons and that's what I figured. I don't want to pull my head to change pistons so I will just stick with the cam. Thank you for your response.

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Look at it this way the m54b30 has a stroke of 89.6mm and a bore of 84mm.. the M52b28 has a stroke of 84mm and 84mm bore... they both have the same 10:2:1 compression ratio... so the piston in the m52b28 has to be slightly longer to compensate for the stroke bearing in mind they both use the same 135mm conrods

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    So with this in mind with them both having the same compression ration in the first place would their even be a power gain from swapping the crankshaft with the piston and rods? Or only from swapping the intake cam and possibly the intake from the m54 If possible? I haven't researched the intake swap yet to know if I could pull it off I just read it has a better intake.

Thank you for your responses I like to increase my car knowledge where possible.

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Wats your powergoals?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The con rods in the M54B30 engine are shorter than those on the M54B25 engine. You can’t just swap the crankshaft as the pistons will hit the cylinder head.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    I'm going to hit my local junkyard and pull a 530 intake cam and intake with injectors to pair with my headers and I'm sure that will be enough gain to feel satisfied. I know it'll run a little rough until the computer reprograms itself. I'm also debating on a ccv delete as well but I'm not sure yet. Any input is greatly appreciated im still learning as I go.

Is their a diff that would pair well with the swap I'm looking at?

My current mods are a.c. delete all lines and the bulky compressor, headers and a muffler delete.

Also since I'm running headers would a secondary are pump delete be worth while and if so is their a good thread for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WadiM3 View Post
    Wats your powergoals?
    Nothing major just anything I can squeeze out without going 5k into boost

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    The con rods in the M54B30 engine are shorter than those on the M54B25 engine. You can’t just swap the crankshaft as the pistons will hit the cylinder head.
    Thank you for verifying that what I had figured but I thought it was at least worth asking. I'm a sponge for car knowledge and stroke is something I haven't had the chance to pick someone's brain on yet.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    So have had the car running with M54 head? It sounds like it is installed.

I Can’t comment on piston height, though somebody else did. I knew they were same diameter as I plan to use M52TU rings on an M54.

A few few others are running the better M54 intake on an M52TU. Turner sells a plate that adapter the hybrid M52TU throttle body ( mechanical/ DBW) to the M54 intake which is full DBW.

My Cars
    528iT, Fiero, Stingray
    M54 intake onto the M52TU is very easy. There were a few things that I needed to use the M52 parts instead of the M54 but if you set them next to each other its easy to mix and match to get where you are need to go. I didn't do a CCV delete, i just replaced the old stuff with new. I stuck with the M52 injectors but if you've got the M54 head and headers then the larger (i'm assuming the M54's are larger/better flowing) would be a good choice. The one piece in particular is part #2 on this diagram. It goes from the intake manifold below the TB to a 'Y' that runs to your brake booster and the intake boot. I cut it thinking it was unneeded and/or i would replace it since its old. The damn thing is $30!!! And DO NOT damage the 'Y' or the other hoses; that part (#1 on the diagram) is over $100. You can't use the M54 version of this hose since it runs right where the M52 throttle cable needs to be.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2680

I got my adapter plate from Peter in Poland. I liked his better than the Turner one because his has an o-ring built in to seal the plate to the manifold. The Turner one (as far as I know) uses RTV smeared on at assembly.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...M52TU-ADAPTERS

-Tim

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by WadiM3 View Post
    I am almost certain your pistons would need to be milled down by 4mm if they are the same pistons as the M52B28
    Mill the pistons 4mm? Have a close look at a typical piston(you have seen one, haven't you?) and think about this statement for a while. You had better learn something about engine building before advising others. Blowing them up doesn't qualify as credentials for this.
    OP, you'll need to swap the rotating assembly, so the head must come off. Not certain about your existing pistons, I think bore is the same as b30 but am unsure of pin placement.
    Last edited by ross1; 02-22-2018 at 02:45 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by FieroSS View Post
    M54 intake onto the M52TU is very easy. There were a few things that I needed to use the M52 parts instead of the M54 but if you set them next to each other its easy to mix and match to get where you are need to go. I didn't do a CCV delete, i just replaced the old stuff with new. I stuck with the M52 injectors but if you've got the M54 head and headers then the larger (i'm assuming the M54's are larger/better flowing) would be a good choice. The one piece in particular is part #2 on this diagram. It goes from the intake manifold below the TB to a 'Y' that runs to your brake booster and the intake boot. I cut it thinking it was unneeded and/or i would replace it since its old. The damn thing is $30!!! And DO NOT damage the 'Y' or the other hoses; that part (#1 on the diagram) is over $100. You can't use the M54 version of this hose since it runs right where the M52 throttle cable needs to be.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2680

I got my adapter plate from Peter in Poland. I liked his better than the Turner one because his has an o-ring built in to seal the plate to the manifold. The Turner one (as far as I know) uses RTV smeared on at assembly.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...M52TU-ADAPTERS

-Tim
    Thank for your input and the links; sorry for the late response I've been away from the forum due to work. And yes the injectors are higher flowing for anyone who is following this and wants to find their own set. It's the purple injectors the stock m52 injectors are black. I found mine on a 3.0 x5 along with my cam.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=effduration;29959121]So have had the car running with M54 head?

Yes I have been running the m54 head from a 330ci with a felpro head gasket no issue I have about 4xxx miles on that part of the build.