Thread: Got a steal on a 1999 m3 Convertible

My Cars
    2015 F10 M5, 1999 E36 M3

Got a steal on a 1999 m3 Convertible

One of the partners I work with offered me her '99 m3 a year and a half ago for $7k. It needed a fair amount of work so I passed at the time. She came to me 3 weeks ago and said she hasn't touched it since I test drove it back then and she's planning to donate it unless I want to make her an offer. I calculated the rough auction price a charity would get for it to be ~$4k, which would be worth a $1600 - $1800 tax deduction to her. So I offered her $2k (little extra to make sure I got the deal) and she accepted!

She bought it certified in 2002 with very low miles and used it as a daily driver for a few years until her son was born in '06. After that, it was mostly just a weekend "date" car until 6 or 7 years ago when it was basically parked. She's driven it a couple times a year since then. When I loaded it on the trailer, the unaltered odo read 64,994!

So far, my to-do list is as follows:

1. New tires (as you can tell from the pictures...only 1 will hold air)
    2. Full 60k mile service (including all fluids, belts, plugs and coils, etc)
    3. Suspension rebuild (shocks are shot and the driver rear is very low, so I'm guessing a broken spring)
    4. Power steering pump
    5. Brake rebuild
    6. Motor and Trans mounts (getting heavy vibration at idle. General maintenance says to replace motor mounts at 60k and the car is at 65k, plus it has sat for years, so my first guess is mounts)
    7. I'll eventually replace the cooling system prophylactically (no leaks or anything as of yet, but why push my luck?)
    8. New lights all around
    9. Replace convertible top motors (they "work" but they aren't strong enough to lift everything so I have to help it along)
    10. Front seat swap (leather on front seats is shot so I'll probably do an e46 M3 seat swap)
    11. Stereo upgrade with touchscreen and carplay
    12. Exhaust upgrade

Other than that, it will be one-off things here and there as I notice them. But for the bargain price I got the car, I figure I can get it in decent driving shape doing 1-6 above for ~$4k and have a great, low milage weekend car that the kids can learn to tinker on while we do the rest of the list and anything else that comes up in the meantime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    You win.

My 95 coupe was $500 cheaper but ugly as hell compared to that car.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    Nice deal!

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/A
    Looks like a pile of junk, you should just sell it back to me

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    Nice grab. As for the top, I would plan to replace the tension straps, rear lid struts, and lube all of the joints and see if that helps it out. I did a similar rebuild to my 99 when I bought it. It takes a good bit of time, but I really have a nice car driving car now.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    That’s a steal. I’ll respond later with some more thoughts.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    2015 F10 M5, 1999 E36 M3
    Thanks for the thoughts. Was talking to a friend today who had the same idea - if the motor and everything is working right, just not strong enough, a cleaning, re-lubing, etc may be the better alternative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    That’s a steal. I’ll respond later with some more thoughts.
    Thanks. Would love your thoughts!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brokeazz View Post
    Looks like a pile of junk, you should just sell it back to me
    Ha! Today was the first day on the road with it taking it in for new tires. I had one guy walk up to me at the tire store and offer to buy it on the spot. I'm sure it won't be the last time...

2015 F10 M5 Competition Package // 1999 E36 M3 Convertible

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    just some thoughts, car looks pretty mint, so I'd probably try to keep it very close to stock or very tasteful mods. The value of that car will go up given it's mileage and condition (once you're done)

8. New lights all around (DEPO, or ZKW if you want nicer quality, do you need to do the rear tails? I'd keep the ambers!
    10. Front seat swap (leather on front seats is shot so I'll probably do an e46 M3 seat swap) Get some sport seats or Vaders for the look, convertibles are all about the interior, the Vaders will look awesome.
    11. Stereo upgrade with touchscreen and carplay (may be hard to do cleanly... unless it's one of those flip outs)
    12. Exhaust upgrade (stromung or Eisenmann or Supersprint)

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    My 99 vert has 63k and I have done a lot of work to it. I would agree on the lights. Stock lights suck. I would be careful with an exhaust. The convertible has way more road noise, top up or down. If you are like me, I hate a loud droning exhaust, and I dont think I would enjoy my m3 near as much with a louder exhaust. I have stock exhaust.

I rebuilt the entire suspension, front and rear and used Bilstein struts. I used urethane bushings in a couple of select spots(diff mounts/rtab), but most everything was replaced with stock rubber. I consider the ride borderline stiff. If I had to do it over I may have opted for a more stock strut. The vert is less stiff (but heavier) so stiffer struts may cause unwanted shakes/rattles.

Short shift kit and all new clutch components (pedal, bushings, stock clutch kit, hydraulics, tranny detent, etc) is the bomb.

New pilot sport tires are great.

When you drain the rear diff stick a magnet up there to check for any bolt heads. Some of the rear diffs had issues with bolts getting loose and screwing up the diff. Mine was one of them!! If you do have some bolts heads floating around, I would suggest removing the diff and replacing the bolts. Make certain you account for all bolt heads as I had one left floating around after replacing the bolts. Screwed me later on and ruined the diff.

Stock radio with Bavsound speakers. Not great, but good enough for me. I like stock, in case you didnt notice.

New rear window from a german company that has the proper rubber trim. Great.

Picked up a hardtop that is nice for the winter.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

My Cars
    2015 F10 M5, 1999 E36 M3
    10. Front seat swap (leather on front seats is shot so I'll probably do an e46 M3 seat swap) Get some sport seats or Vaders for the look, convertibles are all about the interior, the Vaders will look awesome.
    Sorry for the noob question, but what are Vaders and how are they different from the M sport seats that came in the M3?

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawkevin View Post
    Sorry for the noob question, but what are Vaders and how are they different from the M sport seats that came in the M3?
    Vaders are these seats. Vaders look cool with their ornate head rest configuration, some people find them uncomfortable, I just find I slide around too much in them. But they'd look AWESOME in a Vert since you'll get to see them alot with the top down.

Sport seats (these actually came standard in the LTW M3, but could also be had in leather in other M3's)
    Last edited by propcar; 02-27-2018 at 08:41 AM.

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5
    Agreed with Propcar. When I had my E36 M3 Convertible, coming back to the car with the top down and seeing the Vaders was always sweet. Not comfortable though for me.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I installed a set into a vert I owned for a short time. It's useless car so useless seats worked out great in it.

My Cars
    2015 F10 M5, 1999 E36 M3
    Vaders are these seats. Vaders look cool with their ornate head rest configuration, some people find them uncomfortable, I just find I slide around too much in them. But they'd look AWESOME in a Vert since you'll get to see them alot with the top down.
    Got it, thanks. My care has the Vader seats already, but the driver side leather is worn through on one edge. Sounds like it may be worth looking at just re-covering the bottom and keeping the seats. I'll have to look into that.

My Cars
    2015 F10 M5, 1999 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by knickfan5745 View Post
    Agreed with Propcar. When I had my E36 M3 Convertible, coming back to the car with the top down and seeing the Vaders was always sweet. Not comfortable though for me.
    Thanks. They didn't seem overly-comfortable in the little time I've been in it, but I agree they look great and this is a weekend play car so comfort isn't my #1 priority. Thanks for the feedback though!

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawkevin View Post
    Got it, thanks. My care has the Vader seats already, but the driver side leather is worn through on one edge. Sounds like it may be worth looking at just re-covering the bottom and keeping the seats. I'll have to look into that.
    perfect! Some guys out there will re-finish them without needing to replace the leather and at least give them a bit of new life. Look into it.