Thread: Noise that disappears when pushing the clutch

My Cars
    E39 530i

Noise that disappears when pushing the clutch

Hi everybody, I have a new noise in my car for a couple of months. I thought I would get used to it, but I canīt

Itīs a fast "tacatacataca" that disappears completely when I push (and keep pushed) the clutch pedal. I hear it at idle, but I suppose it sounds while Iīm driving too (only I donīt hear it because the engine sound covers it).
    Sometimes itīs louder than others. And sometimes I push and release the clutch once or twice and the noise quietens or even disappears.

My mechanic said the culprit was the throwout bearing. He replaced it...and nothing.
    Before dropping the gearbox again I would like to hear some advice or experience...

Thanks.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Pressure plate? Mine came out in two pieces and made noise.
    th_Holidaypuppyposing2007060.jpg
    Last edited by jmo69; 02-19-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    could also be your transmission input shaft bearing (either the one internal to your trans, or the small support bearing that goes in the back of the engine that supports the trans input shaft).

The throwout bearing typically only makes noise when the clutch is depressed.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Just put your toe lightly on the pedal and it it shuts up likely release bearing
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    94e36M3RIP, 95 318 S50
    Do you have a dual mass or single mass flywheel?

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    Pressure plate, mine came out in two pieces and made noise.
    Opps, my clutch only has 25,000 km and I donīt abuse it...although I didnīt replaced the DMF .

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    could also be your transmission input shaft bearing (either the one internal to your trans, or the small support bearing that goes in the back of the engine that supports the trans input shaft).

The throwout bearing typically only makes noise when the clutch is depressed.
    Last autumn investigating a strange noise when decelerating that seemed to come from the gearbox, we try installing another gearbox. That strange noise remained. We reinstalled my "old" gearbox and replaced this bearing (OEM)...is that the bearing you say?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/11211720310/

Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Just put your toe lightly on the pedal and it it shuts up likely release bearing
    The noise shuts up when the clucht is about half travel down.

Quote Originally Posted by guymandude View Post
    Do you have a dual mass or single mass flywheel?
    Dual mass.

Thanks to everybody, it seems Iīll have to take out the gearbox again...

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Transmission Input Shaft can make noise that stops when you depress the clutch.

Whatever the noise is, the transmission is in the way to making it go away.

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Well, two different workshops told me that [very possibly] the problem is the clutch and/or the DMF. A new LUK set is about 600€ + labour. Ouch!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Think about the work flow for a minute. You can eliminate the probable causes by isolating the conditions that result in the noise being present.

The engine turns the flywheel which turns the transmission in N. The Trans has an input shaft that turns until the clutch pedal is depressed. The flywheel itself turns whether or not the clutch is depressed. The flywheel is loaded until the clutch pedal is depressed, the clutch pressure plate is unloaded until the clutch pedal is depressed. The throw-out bearing is pressed into the center of the pressure plate to pivot the clutch plate away from the flywheel, stopping the rotation of the transmission input shaft. I doubt the flywheel itself is a problem. The clutch plate can be grinding on the throw out bearing, and when you depress the pedal the loading on the throw out bearing binds the noise so it stops. The transmission internals can be having a bearing problem that goes away when the input shaft stops rotating. The noise can be from the input shaft, but not while the car is moving, this would indicate a thrust bearing inside of the trans that is unloaded in N, but has a load in any of the gears. It may help to see if the noise happens in forward or reverse gears, or both.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Quote Originally Posted by B234R View Post
    Opps, my clutch only has 25,000 km and I donīt abuse it...although I didnīt replaced the DMF .

Last autumn investigating a strange noise when decelerating that seemed to come from the gearbox, we try installing another gearbox. That strange noise remained. We reinstalled my "old" gearbox and replaced this bearing (OEM)...is that the bearing you say?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/11211720310/

The noise shuts up when the clucht is about half travel down.

Dual mass.

Thanks to everybody, it seems Iīll have to take out the gearbox again...
    yep the pilot bearing is what i was referring to.
    I think we all agree that the trans must come out regardless the causer.

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Think about the work flow for a minute. You can eliminate the probable causes by isolating the conditions that result in the noise being present.

The engine turns the flywheel which turns the transmission in N. The Trans has an input shaft that turns until the clutch pedal is depressed. The flywheel itself turns whether or not the clutch is depressed. The flywheel is loaded until the clutch pedal is depressed, the clutch pressure plate is unloaded until the clutch pedal is depressed. The throw-out bearing is pressed into the center of the pressure plate to pivot the clutch plate away from the flywheel, stopping the rotation of the transmission input shaft. I doubt the flywheel itself is a problem. The clutch plate can be grinding on the throw out bearing, and when you depress the pedal the loading on the throw out bearing binds the noise so it stops. The transmission internals can be having a bearing problem that goes away when the input shaft stops rotating. The noise can be from the input shaft, but not while the car is moving, this would indicate a thrust bearing inside of the trans that is unloaded in N, but has a load in any of the gears. It may help to see if the noise happens in forward or reverse gears, or both.
    The second mechanic that tested my car, at first, said that the noise probaby comes from inside the transmission; but after driving the car and listening to it for almost 45 minutes, he remarked that the noise goes out not only when the clutch is fully depressed, but when the clutch is about 3/4 of the travel depressed, too. Then his conclusion about the clutch or DMF.
    Since I have my car Iīve been complaining about a certain engine harshness, a bit coarse, especially in the 3000-3700 rpm range. I wonder if the DMF could be the cause.

Iīll see if the noise happens driving forward or reverse, but I would say that I donīt hear it in motion.

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Clutch and DMF replaced (LUK Repset) and finally the noise is gone.
    Now I have to find out what causes the other noise (noise while deccelerating) because now it seems to sound louder.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Whats the deceleration noise like?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Whats the deceleration noise like?

This is my car.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Are you sure that's coming from the gearbox and not the rear end??

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Inside the car I couldnīt say where the noise is coming from...last autumn a mechanic lifted up my car to hear the noise better while another mechanic was pressing and depressing the throttle, and decided it was the gearbox. He had a spare gearbox (a spare for his 328i track day car) and installed it, but the noise remained exactly the same.

The mechanic that installed the DMF and clutch yesterday (another mechanic from a different workshop) insisted on blaming the gearbox ("probably input shaft") but my car made the same noise with the spare box...could the diff be on the way out? Is there any easy way (for me) to test it?

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Well, this is becoming ridiculous.

I have this noise, a fast "tacataca" at idle and the stick on neutral that quiets when I depress the clutch...first the mechanic said it was the throwout bearing. This was replaced and the noise dissapeared. For a few days.

Then another mechanic said the DMF was the culprit. The DMF and clutch kit was replaced and again the noise dissapeared. For a few days again. The noise came back.

And after talking with three workshops (a couple of them specialized in gearboxes), finally they reached the same conclussion: a slack in the input shaft. We swapped the ībox for another one, a ZF S5D320Z, exactly the same P/N as mineīs, from a 528i E39 and known good...quiet for a couple of weeks...and that noise comes again! Please if somebody has any experience that can help me I would be very grateful because the probability of two bad gearboxes making the same noise is really small and it makes sense to think there is another reason.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i

Noise that disappears when pushing the clutch

Are you by chance using polyurethane bushings or have you removed any of the sound insulation?
    Last edited by XnWarden; 06-11-2019 at 03:45 PM.

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Are you by chance using polyurethane bushings or have you removed any of the sound insulation?
    No, I donīt have any poly bushes, I donīt think that could be related...
    By the way, the noise quietens when I depress the clutch pedal about 1/3 of its total travel.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    decel noise is the driveshaft
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    decel noise is the driveshaft
    A couple of workshops told me it was the diff...I was even thinking of sending it for a rebuild...

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by B234R View Post
    No, I donīt have any poly bushes, I donīt think that could be related...
    By the way, the noise quietens when I depress the clutch pedal about 1/3 of its total travel.
    Reason i ask is that my friend had a similar decel noise and it was his trans. You could hear it really well because he removed the shift boot sound deadening and had poly trans bushings that transmitted the frequency.

Ive heard whiny e36 diff's and it is usually a lower frequency whine. My lsd actually just started acting up and im about to try and rebuild it

Last edited by XnWarden; 06-15-2019 at 07:21 PM.

My Cars
    E46
    sorry to revive such an old post, but did you ever come to a solution for the noise??

I have the same issue! I dont want to randomly just swap parts if I dont have to.

Sorry again for reviving such an old post.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Quote Originally Posted by shabir View Post
    sorry to revive such an old post, but did you ever come to a solution for the noise??

I have the same issue! I dont want to randomly just swap parts if I dont have to.

Sorry again for reviving such an old post.
    You remove the trans.. You inspect the input shaft bearing, the output shaft bearing and the throw out bearing. ... A dmf wont make a noise but it will make engagement of the clutch very jerky. A pressure plate problem usually results in ALOT of obvious noise and serious drivability problems.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Usually it is the clutch release bearing that makes noise when not under load and no noise when you depress the clutch.

A LTW flywheel may transmit less noise with the clutch depressed.

A twin disk clutch may transmit less noise with the clutch depressed.