Thread: How to remove Soft Top motor

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER

How to remove Soft Top motor

I want to replace the rubber grommet around the antenna base. From what I have read, the soft top motor must be removed to gain access to the grommet from inside the trunk area. How do I remove the motor? Here are some pics of the motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    I want to replace the rubber grommet around the antenna base. From what I have read, the soft top motor must be removed to gain access to the grommet from inside the trunk area...
    This says just loosen and move the motor (which I don't have):
    https://blog.bavauto.com/11619/bmw-a...nvertible-e36/
    Then drop the antenna base:
    http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8613
    When I replaced my antenna and outer grommet, I lubed the inner and outer grommet and the bulbous tip of the base, and pushed the tip up through the grommets. It went easily. You will not need a new inner grommet as it is out of the weather and like new.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 02-17-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    I need information on how to remove the motor. Rest of procedure appears to look simple...I hope.

My Cars
    z3
    It's pretty easy man, like one bolt as I remember, but I'm not even sure it needs to come out for that job? I don't remember it actually being in the way of the antennae when installed in place but been awhile since I've had a roadster...

I recommend just taking a look at it, it's a very simple job. Just peel the carpet back on the driver's side of the trunk to take a look.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    ... From what I have read, the soft top motor must be removed to gain access to the grommet from inside the trunk area...
    It sounds like the pump just needs to be shifted a bit to get the antenna base out, like maybe undoing the mounting bolts above the date in this picture:
    IMG_2720.jpg
    It is the antenna's base or amplifier that must be removed, not to allow access to the grommet, but to pull the antenna tip out of the grommet so the grommet can be pried out of its hole in the fender.
    It is true that there is a second grommet that is in the body, not the fender, that can only be reached from inside the trunk, but that grommet will not need replacing.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 02-18-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Found the bolt that releases the motor so I could slide it out of the bracket....loosened bracket that holds amp so I could release bolt that was holding the motor. Then unbolted the bracket holding bottom of antenna base. Pushed the tip of the base up through the large rubber grommet and into the fender then inserted the small rubber grommet over the tip and pushed it into hole in the fender. Looks good to me. Thanks guys for your input/help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MORRIE; 02-27-2018 at 09:30 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 3.0 - X1 35i - X1 28i
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    It sounds like the pump just needs to be shifted a bit to get the antenna base out, like maybe undoing the mounting bolts above the date in this picture:
    IMG_2720.jpg
    It is the antenna's base or amplifier that must be removed, not to allow access to the grommet, but to pull the antenna tip out of the grommet so the grommet can be pried out of its hole in the fender.
    It is true that there is a second grommet that is in the body, not the fender, that can only be reached from inside the trunk, but that grommet will not need replacing.
    I just took the car out of it's winter nap and found out someone leaned on the antenna and snapped it off inside the base. So I popped the molding off to do what I though would be an easy base swapou from what I've seen around here, and I see a roof hydraulic unit and what looks to be a Harman Kardon amplifier. It's got so much stuff in that corner, I can't even see the antenna base. Definitely not a 5 minute project. Maybe I'll go without radio short term.

My Cars
    z3
    It's like a 10 minute project if you have the amp, its just a few bolts to remove it from it's mount and set aside

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!