Thread: 1989 325i vert. 140k miles, no start, help

My Cars
    '98 750il, '89 325IC

1989 325i vert. 140k miles, no start, help

So the "check" light started flashing for the last week, I thought I had a tail or brake light out, maybe that has nothing to do with the not running problem.

So, on a few occasions when the car was warm but shut off for 10-15 minutes, the car was hard starting but always started. The other day it would not restart, it was firing a little the first ten cranks but eventually just cranked with no fire at all. I towed the car home and the next day it started. I figure it was a fuel pump problem. What do you think? Replace both pumps and filter?

Thanks guys!

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Does the fuel pump whine when you attempt to start it and it doesnt start

My Cars
    1988 325is
    Secret debug mode available ..

Procedure for acquiring error codes from Bosch Motronic DME - aka "Stomp Test"

BMW e30 s, which are 1988 and newer, have Bosch Motronic versions M1.1, M1.3 and M1.7 and can display fault diagnostic codes. Procedure for obtaining codes is:

■For safety reasons, put the transmission in neutral, and turn the ignition key to "On" position but do not start the car

■In quick succession fully depress and release accelerator pedal 5 (five) times

■After couple of seconds Check Engine light will blink once, and start to flash code(s)

■All codes are composed of 4 digits (see table below). For example, code 1211 is represented as Blink, pause, Blink Blink, pause, Blink, pause, Blink

■When code(s) start to repeat, all of them have been displayed
    Fault Code description

Motronic Fault Code 1211 Malfunction DME Control Unit
    Error Description

1211 - DME, Motronic computer, related fault - which may indicate problem with car computer itself. Delete any stored codes and perform following test: Start the car and let it run for 30 seconds; Turn off car and let it sit for another 30 seconds; Perform diagnostic test again; If the same flash code re-appears DME should be replaced

1215 - Indicates problem relating to Air / Mass Flow Meter - AFM or MAF depending on your e30 model. Causes could be cable wire damage, short circuit in the unit, or air / vacuum leak (check air intake hose - big L-shaped one

1216 - Designates error with potentiometer in Throttle Position sensor. Some later model cars have potentiometer, as opposed to switch (TPS) found on majority of e30 s. This code will be active if inappropriate sensor values are read by control unit, and although presence of this fault code may indicate bad potentiometer, wire harness connection at the sensor is common issue (corroded, loose connection, or broken).

1221 - Fault related to Oxygen ( O2 ) sensor is present if the sensor is unplugged, bad / not-operational, or sensor values are out of range. Test the O2 sensor for proper operation, as well as check harness connections by the sensor and by the battery tray in the engine compartment.

1222 - Lambda control fault code is produced when Motronic system in Bosch control unit receives signal indicating that air/fuel mixture is either excessively rich or excessively lean for period of time loner then 10 seconds. Majority of the causes that affect drivability of the car can be responsible for DME flashing this error:
    •air leak
    •defective Air Flow Meter ( AFM)
    •bad engine temperature sensor
    •incorrect fuel pressure
    •problem with injector(s)
    •defective evaporation system
    •empty gas tank
    •issue with spark plugs
    •problem with valves
    •etc.

1223 - This fault code indicates problem relating to Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS). Test the CTS sensor for proper functionality and check sensor wiring and connections

1224 - Fault with Air Temperature Sensor , which can indicate bad sensor, break or short in wires

1231 - Battery Voltage / DME Main Relay error code can mean that battery voltage is out of range (either too high or too low), or that battery was disconnected. Test charging system and /or battery to find problem cause.

1232 - Error associated with "idle" portion of Throttle Position Switch. Test TPS for proper operation.

1233 - Error associated with "WOT" (Wide Open Throttle) portion of Throttle Position Switch. Test TPS for proper operation

1251 - Fuel Injectors (group #1) fault can indicate problem with either individual injector or first group of injectors. Solution is to check fuel injector connectors, wiring from DME to injectors, and to test injector(s) for proper spray pattern. Additionally, fault code 1283 could be set in conjunction with this one.

1252 - Same as 1251

1261 - Fuel Pump Relay Control code indicates break or short circuit associated with fuel pump relay. Test for proper signal on number 3 pin on DME. It can also mean that output stage of DME is faulty (Motronic version 1.3 only)

1262 - Possible causes for Idle Speed Control fault are:
    •damaged wiring to the idle speed actuator
    •wire from DME is defective
    •output stage of DME is damaged
    Also if engine stalls while it is above 600 RPM, code 1262 will be set

1263 - Purge Valve fault can indicate that Evaporative Control Valve is faulty, that wire from DME to the valve is damaged, or problem with output stage of DME (Motronic version 1.3 only)

1264 - EGO Heater error code is stored if there is fault with Oxygen Sensor Heather or it's relay , Air Pump relay, supply wiring, or wire from DME

1444 - No errors

Further tech info here:

E30 Tech Articles
    Engine
    Suspension
    Fuel
    System Maintenance
    Electrical
    Transmission
    Specifications
    Ignition
    Brakes
    Body
    Driving
    Miscellaneous

My Cars
    '98 750il, '89 325IC
    What the heck? Makes me want to crawl in the corner and cry. That is the most complicated.........

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    it's just a stomp test. any five year old could accomplish it. a stomp test may not help that much anyway.

assuming no other issues when driving leaves a handful of possibilities. leaky injectors is one common cause, the coolant temp sensor, poor cps, dirty throttle body, bad iac, failing fpr, all come to mind. then add a small vacuum leak or two in tandem and it becomes voodoo trying to chase the root cause. get a bentley and start with the first three as they usually tend to be at the bottom of people chasing hard starts over a long term.

good luck and report back with your progress.

My Cars
    '98 750il, '89 325IC
    Thanks, hopefully I will have time to work on it today. I decided to replace external fuel pump and fuel filter. They look like original and so not a bad idea anyway. $100 for Bosch stuff from WorldPac. I will report back. Stomp test codes sound simple enough but everyone I talk to says they have never had much luck following the codes to fix anything. Thanks for the info tho bhe30, I will still try to follow those.

My Cars
    '98 750il, '89 325IC
    So mine is an "89. I replaced fuel filter but I have no external fuel pump so I took the main one out of the tank and will get a new one tomorrow. I tried to read the codes, first of all the Check Engine light has never been on. I was talking about the Check light in the center of the dash flashing, maybe tail light or something like that. I did the stomp test and it looked like it was Flash,pause,flash,pause,flash,pause,flash, pause.....1111? I have a video on my phone if someone wants to look at it send me your email and I will try to send to you.