RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Am I being TOO critical?

My Cars
    Not enough

Am I being TOO critical?

This is my second set of main bearings that I have ordered that have defects straight out of the box...

I originally ordered KING BEARINGS ... rods and mains. The rod bearings all looked good, but out of the 12 mains...4 came with some pretty nasty "nicks" or imperfections that can be felt by the finger nail.

IMG_6783
    IMG_6784

So last week I forfeited my Saturday plans to get the bottom end buttoned up...and ordered GLYCO main bearing set from BavAuto (they had them in stock and could get them to me by this weekend...

Now one of these GLYCO thrust/main bearings have some imperfections also, that you can easily catch or feel with your finger nail....

IMG_6858
    IMG_6861

Am I being hypercritical, from everything that I have read...FM and imperfections in new bearings can cause havoc on a bottom-end....?

Should I order another set and hope that they will be right?
    They call me Spaz
    -1990 535i/5 with some stuff ----->M30 Turbo Build
    -1996 328i sedan (S-52'd) 5-speed ----------> Refurbish Project (Wife's new DD) ---> (S52-swap)

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I don't think so. What brand are these bearings? The first set looked damaged, these look like poor plating.
    My engine building experience is with domestic V-8s, I've never had problems like this in many years using the common U.S.A. brands of bearings.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    I would return them. I wouldn't be comfortable using them in that condition.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I don't think so. What brand are these bearings? The first set looked damaged, these look like poor plating.
    My engine building experience is with domestic V-8s, I've never had problems like this in many years using the common U.S.A. brands of bearings.
    The first set was KING bearings (made in Israel)..

The second set was GLYCO... I am having trouble finding standard size bearings for an M30b35 that aren't a 1 month lead time. Do you know of a better vendor to do through... these GLYCO's were ordered from BavAuto, but Pelican Parts also has these exact bearings...

Thanks for your help on this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    I would return them. I wouldn't be comfortable using them in that condition.
    In contact with BavAuto as we speak, thank you for your input. Would BMW oem bearings be the way to go with this?
    They call me Spaz
    -1996 328i sedan (S-52'd) 5-speed ----------> Refurbish Project (Wife's new DD) ---> (S52-swap)

My Cars
    I would go with OEM if they're available. I've never done main bearings, but have done plenty of sets of rod bearings. Never had one damaged.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I thought Kolbenschmidt were the ones to get. I wonder how those stack up.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    When going for OEM bearings, make sure you get the correct size and cap colours
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The only trouble with ordering the bearings from the dealership is that each bearing HALF will cost you about the same as a complete set of Glycos. However, I've had Glycos be incorrect, on several occasions, although they were the correct part number.. Make absolutely sure that you carefully check clearances with Plastigage !

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Clevite/Mahle sells the rods, CB809P in standard and +.25mm, their catalog doesn't show the mains.
    Rock Auto sells "ITM engine components" brand, can't be any worse than what you've been getting and dirt cheap.
    I'd be looking for a domestic brand or OE if you need them quick
    here is Kolbenschmidt catalog https://mam.rheinmetall-automotive.c...10123b9a60512c
    Last edited by ross1; 02-18-2018 at 09:07 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Try king race again..

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by WadiM3 View Post
    Try king race again..
    Tell us about yours again

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Oil pump went bang and spun bearings

My Cars
    Not enough
    Update...

I went ahead and contacted BavAuto, their customer service is great. I also ordered another set of GLYCO mains from them as they had another set on shelf.

My plan is to pick through the two sets of GLYCO mains and select the best without imperfections then plastigage everything. I will then send back the assembled damaged set of GLYCO to BavAuto for the refund.

I will update when the new (2nd set) of Glyco mains arrive this week. I appreciate all of the input and help.

Cheers,
    Caleb
    They call me Spaz