Thread: Help Me Get My E90 Running!

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport

Help Me Get My E90 Running!

Hello All!

I acquired an E90 today through auction that was involved in a very minor fender bender that set off the airbags, blowing the BST. Therefore, its a no runner... Well, I hope thats all it is! The car is a 2007 335i Auto with 140xxx. The key is currently stuck in the ignition which I hear is common after an accident and not having power? Anyways, could anyone guide me to a DIY article or video on how to replace this battery terminal cable? I looked in the trunk and there is a labyrinth of aftermarket audio wiring at the battery.

Aside from the bumper being removed (and sitting in my garage) the body is a solid 9/10 and interior a 7/10.

Thanks!!

This is my mess in the trunk:

Last edited by RuskiE39; 02-15-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    2008 535xi, 2011 Z4 35is
    Looks like a fun project. About how much was is at auction ( $USD ) ?

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by NoQuarterX View Post
    Looks like a fun project. About how much was is at auction ( $USD ) ?
    Winning bid was $2150, shipping it was $210, and about $500 in auction fees.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    2008 328xi Sportwagon
    I don't see much extra wiring on that battery. The factory setup has plenty of wires by itself. Why do you need to replace a cable? Was it damaged?

Start by getting a Bently shop manual with illustrations of the battery and other assemblies. You might also put a battery charger on the contacts under the hood and see if it will charge.

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    I don't see much extra wiring on that battery. The factory setup has plenty of wires by itself. Why do you need to replace a cable? Was it damaged?

Start by getting a Bently shop manual with illustrations of the battery and other assemblies. You might also put a battery charger on the contacts under the hood and see if it will charge.
    Made a lot of progress today...

This is why the car had no power, the BST blew:

I hammered it back together and unfortunately it turned out the battery was completely dead so $120 later at walmart I got it hooked up and voila, POWER!!

But will it start? Indeed it did! It powered right up and drove well with a good amount of power for having sat idly for 4-6 months.

A few concerns, there were 3 SES codes... 2 pending and one confirmed:

Confirmed: P1890 < --- No online info on this code, most concerned about

Pending: P0705 Tranny Range Sensor (PRNDL Input) - Not concerned with
    P0073 Ambient Air Temp Sensor Circuit High - Not concerned with

Any help with P1890 would be appreciated.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Nice work, I love a good project. I was going to mention the BST, but you figured it out before I found the thread.
    P1890 is EGS: BATTERY VOLTAGE Kind of a generic code saying that the battery is low or the transmission isn't getting enough voltage.

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    Nice work, I love a good project. I was going to mention the BST, but you figured it out before I found the thread.
    P1890 is EGS: BATTERY VOLTAGE Kind of a generic code saying that the battery is low or the transmission isn't getting enough voltage.

Thats great news, thanks for sharing! I’ll report back after I get the car registered and have a chance to drive it more.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    E90, E83, E46..Prius lol
    Been in same situation as you. I bought a new cable and installed it thinking that may clear out the code. I also replaced airbag, clockspring, air bag module, seat belts. Had a guy at dealer try to clear out the codes he couldn't. I probably have a seat or crash sensor still bad. I've given up after 2 years and live with the lights on. You are ahead of the program. Salvage title or clear? If clear, you must have got it from Copart.

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by krautcars View Post
    Been in same situation as you. I bought a new cable and installed it thinking that may clear out the code. I also replaced airbag, clockspring, air bag module, seat belts. Had a guy at dealer try to clear out the codes he couldn't. I probably have a seat or crash sensor still bad. I've given up after 2 years and live with the lights on. You are ahead of the program. Salvage title or clear? If clear, you must have got it from Copart.
    What code are you talking about, P1890? And i'm glad you brought that up... Before I slap the front bumper back on, do I need to replace the sensors that causes the airbag to go off? I'm assuming there is one near the front bumper?

The car is salvaged, and yes I got it at Copart, i'd been looking for E92s but you know how it is... when a new car comes up for bid it can take up to 2 months before they finally post a sale date and I got tired of waiting and watching the E92 models fly up in pre-bid.
    Last edited by RuskiE39; 02-18-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe