Thread: Head Gasket ?? Looking for opinions

My Cars
    94 325is+325ic, 04 330ci

Head Gasket ?? Looking for opinions

Little background 94 325ci vert 170k on the clock, had the car 4 years or so since 115k has had its fair share of little coolant leaks and have always been able to find them.

Recently just this winter the car is going through close to half the expansion tank a day on good drives, no more leaks up front have replaced everything since I've owned it. Have noticed some coolant on the xbrace and its hard as hell to look at the back of the block but looks like gunk in the back passenger side corner down.

Car never overheats drives like a champ and never gets pushed all that hard. In the summer it doesn't seem to leak hardly any if any at all, but in the winter when using the heater it seems to be going through way more than I'm comfortable with (which is any at all lol). Doesn't smell sweet in the cabin and do not notice a wet passenger side or drivers side floor. If it were a head gasket I would expect it to go through just as much coolant in the summer as winter regardless of using the heater (except for maybe things being expanded more in summer possibly).

So I guess I'm just looking for opinions on what I could spend my efforts on trying to figure it out before I go and just start replacing stuff like the heater core that probably doesn't need replaced since I get no sweet smell and no wet floor, and the back of the engine which I'm thinking possible water flange or valve or whatever, but its nearly impossible for me to see on the m50.

Any help is always appreciated!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I’d look harder for a leak since you see coolant under the car.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Sounds like a heater core leak to me. Id pull the intake manifold and inspect all the coolant hoses associated with it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I don't thinks its the heater core, more likely the fitting at the back of the head, common leak for early e36s. There is a gasket, but they also sell an upgraded pipe fitting.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Check all the coolant hoses, the thermostat housing, the radiator, and the water pump for leaks. It has to be coming from somewhere.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    pressure test it. I bet it's coming from the connection at the rear of the head. I had a hard time chasing a leak up front. I redid the cooling system 2 years ago and the clamps to the expansion tank have loosened. I thought it was the head gasket at first too.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    NOT heater core, that would make odors inside of the car and leave you with wet floors.

I'd go with the Heater Control Valve or the interconnecting plumbing. This device lives on the firewall at the rear of the engine. It could be a seasonal failure, how much does one use the heater in summer? I don't know the easiest way to gain access, raise the car and work from underneath, or take the hood off and work from the top.

IF YOU GO FOR THE HEAD GASKET...
    Don't blindly replace the gasket and think you are done. While the head is removed, carefully inspect (a magnifying glass might be useful) the area of the #3 and #4 Exhaust Seats and the adjacent water passages. I am not suggesting this is your problem, I'm only point out that it presents with the same, or similar, symptoms as a head gasket so you have to give it the consideration it deserves.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JDStrickland; 02-16-2018 at 05:04 PM.

My Cars
    94 325is+325ic, 04 330ci
    Thanks for the suggestions and tips, I should mention every oil change has never had any signs of coolant and neither does the coolant have any signs of oil.... JD in the picture u sent me a crack like that would cause the coolant to escape and get burnt by the exhaust correct? I would still expect it to happen in the summer though.

Eric93se, #3,4 in that picture looks interesting to me but I cannot seem to get a line of sight on it even with a mirror and flashlight any tips?

TostitoBandito, I've replaced everything up front over time and no drips anywhere up front either - must be rear side of engine or the engine itself.

Anyone have any tips for reaching the Heater Control Valve? and from what I can see at the back of the engine on the drivers side the few hoses in a cluster nothing seems to leak, and I am unclear how to check the heater core hoses without ripping all of the dash out.
    Last edited by pablowski; 02-16-2018 at 05:21 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Yes, that crack puts coolant into the exhaust stream where it is vaporized. The coolant loss is very low, I had no idea it was happening when it happened to me. I noticed that I was topping the expansion tank every 3 or 4 weeks about half way. I had the misfortune of driving on a local mountain road that is heavily traveled and the top hose broke off of the radiator, the coolant puked out. They have no pull outs that can take both my car and the tow truck, and no cell service. I got a half mile or so and parked in a parking lot, but still had no cell service. I made a feeble attempt to fix the hose connection and fill the radiator with water. Just as I crested the top of the mountain, the over-temp light came on and I shut the engine off and coasted -- dead stick -- to the bottom of the hill to call the AAA. I replaced the radiator and related stuff, and the car was fine after that, except the slow loss of coolant that I could not explain. Eventually, the engine hydrolocked one day when I was leaving for work, I hit the starter and the engine spun around and made a hard stop. I pulled the plugs and turned the crank by hand, and coolant came out of one cylinder. I had the car taken to the shop and the mechanic reported that the head gasket was in good shape. I did an internet search and found that this crack happened enough that a guy was making a living by welding the crack shut. I'm not sure his living was very good, he's gone now. He had a shop in Rancho Cordova (Sacramento), CA. When the head arrived that he sent me, I could see the same crack in my head. His could be seen because of the weld joint, my head had a crack in the same place.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Focus under the hood. Back drivers corner at firewall on inboard side of brake booster is the heater control valve. One hose goes across to the corner of the cylinder head but is hidden by the intake manifold.

Drips on a hot motor can evaporate before hitting the ground. Usually as some point you will get the sweet smell through the vents.

A crack may result in coolant getting into the chamber and burning up.

A blown head gasket may result in the cooling system getting pressurized. Usually coolant eventually blows out the expansion tank cap.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 02-17-2018 at 08:23 AM.

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    IF YOU GO FOR THE HEAD GASKET...
    Don't blindly replace the gasket and think you are done. While the head is removed, carefully inspect (a magnifying glass might be useful) the area of the #3 and #4 Exhaust Seats and the adjacent water passages. I am not suggesting this is your problem, I'm only point out that it presents with the same, or similar, symptoms as a head gasket so you have to give it the consideration it deserves.
    When I found a cracked head on my s50, it was pretty obvious once I got the head off. Gasket was in perfect condition and one of the cylinders was noticeably cleaner.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you pull a head due to cooling system issues get it pressure tested by the machine shop that resurfaces it.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    There's coolant leaking under the car. Way too soon to point at head gasket.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    if your windshield fogs up and you smell coolant on the inside then that could be a sign of a heater core on its way out. I gotta do that damn job on our 328 sometime this year.

To reach the outlet hose at the rear of the head you have to remove the intake manifold. You'll need new gaskets if you do so. Pressure test the system so that you'll know more or less where the leak is coming from.

My Cars
    94 325is+325ic, 04 330ci
    Thanks again for the replies, is there any way to check on the heater core or lines leading to it without pulling the dash apart, and if I take the intake manifold off which gaskets would I need just the intake mani gasket?

Windshield does fog up from time to time, but it is a convertible and leaks rain in from the top windshield corners so is damp inside from time to time after it rains if its not parked in the garage, which I usually assume that's the reason my windshield fogs up, defrost takes care of it right away, but i'm not ruling anything out at this point.

The cluster of lines on the drivers side rear of engine by the corner of intake look fine no signs of a leak there, must be coming from directly behind the engine or on the rear passenger corner I will go ahead and pressure test it as my next step.

Other question I would have is for pressure testing the cooling system would u guys recommend diy or taking it to a shop? I will look around at auto parts stores to see if they have one I can rent, but I doubt they will have exactly what I would need. I see a good write up from flyfishvt that would be easy to follow if I find or make my own adapter.

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pablowski View Post
    Thanks again for the replies, is there any way to check on the heater core or lines leading to it without pulling the dash apart, and if I take the intake manifold off which gaskets would I need just the intake mani gasket?
    Throttle body gasket is another one to replace if it's old.

Sometimes just looking for leaks at operating temperature works if you've only been looking with the engine cold.
    Last edited by hotdish; 02-17-2018 at 12:29 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    There's coolant leaking under the car. Way too soon to point at head gasket.

This is true.

My Cars
    94 325is+325ic, 04 330ci
    Finally had a better chance to look into things since the wife has been driving it, took the Xbrace off to get a better look up from the bottom from the 3 hoses in a cluster on the driver side I see no signs of leaking what so ever, is some coolant from on top of the transmission area down that I still cannot tell where it's coming from, plan on taking the intake out to get a better look but waiting on gaskets.

Today rebleeding the air out of it and topping it off I notice what I thought was just water that I poured on top of the tank to wash everything off, but was actually the seam in the tank right between the k-a in the kalt and c-o in the cold, just a little pinhole that is seeping coolant out, but over just a little time when its all warmed up it produces a puddle which I am just noticing now. Am tad worried because I just replaced this expansion tank a few months ago believe it was a rein product from ecs tuning, know for sure it wasn't a URO part. Is this leak that common or am I maybe experiencing some other problem?

Going to order a new tank (maybe a new cap too) but is this a common problem or is something else coming into play causing this to happen, when I get a chance to take some pictures i'll show you guys but on the inside corner by the fan it even looks like its developing some cracking in the plastic just not all the way through yet.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The rear leak is probably the heater valve to cylinder head at the head. Maybe the hose, maybe a loose clamp, maybe the gasket for the fitting. You may be able to see through the 5th and 6th runners.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Pablowski, that leak is not common, you got a faulty unit.

My Cars
    94 325is+325ic, 04 330ci
    was going through old posts and figured i'd update this one - defintely was a bad expansion tank leaking at the seam, replaced it and hasn't leaked a drop out in 3+ months! was glad to know it doesn't have any cooling or oil issues so starting to put more money elsewhere into the car