Thread: 2001 750 no audio from radio

My Cars
    2001 750i; 1997 328is

2001 750 no audio from radio

Hey guys, hope you don't mind a cross post from Bimmerfest.

2001 750il with NAV and DSP. When I start the car, I see the NAV screen acting normal, but there's no sound out of the speakers. I can browse radio stations, and it'll even display the name of the station and the current artist, but no sound.

NAV doesn't work either, and I think it's the NAV box in the trunk. The NAV CDROM won't eject the current disk, so it must be old and dead. When I try to get NAV info like the maps, the radio display says "please insert BMW NAV disk". The CD changer for the radio has been disconnected for a Dice audio input, and that has worked for a long time. As of now, I'm not getting sound from that, either.

All fuses are good, and connections going to the DSP look fine. I unplugged it all and plugged it back in, and I'll hear the car ding (like when you put the key in the ignition). I also replaced the DSP amp from a used working one on eBay, but no luck there.

I know there's lots of forum posts out there, but it's a little convoluted. Help?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Never had one but I think with those NAV cars, the radio head unit is back there with the amp and NAV unit. It will have a fuse in the back of it. Might be worth a check. Could be the NAV as well. Think the radio is a BM24.

My Cars
    2001 750i; 1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    Never had one but I think with those NAV cars, the radio head unit is back there with the amp and NAV unit. It will have a fuse in the back of it. Might be worth a check. Could be the NAV as well. Think the radio is a BM24.

I looked at the fuse with a flashlight and mechanics mirror, and it *looks* good. It's a little hard to see, though. Besides, the radio does display station information and sometimes artist information, there just isn't any sound.

Could this be an ignition switch problem? There's been a few times in the past where I'll get in the car, turn the key, and it's like the battery is dead. Then 10 seconds later, everything will light up and it'll start perfectly.

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    By your description, the screen does show radio and other information, but no map. Is that correct? Plus you have zero sound from the speakers regardless of volume? Seems like you have a potential two pronged issue: 1. Navigation computer may be dead and 2. amp may also be dead.

Any signs of water below all the electronics? Really sounds like a classic short out.
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    2001 750i; 1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by 740iSport303 View Post
    By your description, the screen does show radio and other information, but no map. Is that correct? Plus you have zero sound from the speakers regardless of volume? Seems like you have a potential two pronged issue: 1. Navigation computer may be dead and 2. amp may also be dead.

Any signs of water below all the electronics? Really sounds like a classic short out.

You're correct. No sound, no map (NAV will say "please insert navigation CD"), but correct information regarding radio on the screen.

Is there any way to bypass the NAV? Or do I need to swap with a known working NAV?

And, there is no signs of water in the metal below the trays that hold the components. Good question, though.

My Cars
    2001 750i; 1997 328is

You're correct. Radio shows information about current station and displays the CD/track being played (not sure if it's actually playing, though), but no sound through speakers.
    Is there anyways to bypass the NAV, or do I need to swap with a known NAV? Amp is probably good, I ordered one on eBay that was pulled working. That didn't work.

I don't see any signs of water below the trays that hold the components. Good question, though.

My Cars
    2001 750i; 1997 328is
    Sorry about the double post! I forgot I have a low post count here...

Update: I ordered a known working NAV MKIII CD drive and it arrived today. I installed it, and guess what - no radio. I even replaced the C43 fuse with a new one, and that didn't work either.

I'm running out of ideas here. I've replaced the DSP, the NAV, the C43 fuse, and nothing has worked. Help?

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Unless you got a bad amp from ebay, it more likely that the Dice unit is the culprit. I know you say you disconnected and reconnected, but if there is something there amiss you will have this problem. Years ago I had a dice unit and it died. It killed all music when it died. If you can figure out how to take it out of the loop (don't have to reconnect CDC unless you want too) then you should be able to eliminate that from the cause.
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    2001 750i; 1997 328is
    Unless you got a bad amp from ebay, it more likely that the Dice unit is the culprit. I know you say you disconnected and reconnected, but if there is something there amiss you will have this problem. Years ago I had a dice unit and it died. It killed all music when it died. If you can figure out how to take it out of the loop (don't have to reconnect CDC unless you want too) then you should be able to eliminate that from the cause.
    Dice has been a big pain in the past, but it's currently disconnected. I even tried putting the CD changer in it's place, and that didn't help. Sigh.

My Cars
    2001 750i; 1997 328is
    I learned that if I disconnect the battery for a few minutes, plug it back in and start the car, the DSP will be accessible from the MID screen. I can change settings and everything, but still no audio. And after a few minutes, the DSP icon will disappear completely until I d/c the battery again. So weird...

My Cars
    2001 750i; 1997 328is
    Another update: I measured the battery voltage and it was a bit low (11.5 volts after a good, long drive). So I swapped the battery with a brand new one, and still no radio. Help?