Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Any idea how this could have happened?

My Cars
    F36

Any idea how this could have happened?

I had my car in a body shop to have a fender fixed. When I picked it up, two of my wheels looked like this. I assume it happened when they cleaned my wheels. They said they never saw anything like this before. Any ideas?

MVIMG_20180203_105201.jpgMVIMG_20180203_105209.jpgMVIMG_20180203_105212.jpgMVIMG_20180203_105226.jpg
    Last edited by miketymikey; 02-15-2018 at 04:19 PM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    It's interesting that two of your wheels was affected, not four. I'm thinking the two wheels affected were on the same side of the vehicle right? And I notice most of the damage is on the outward facing flat surfaces with just a bit on a side surface here and there. Mostly on the outward facing surfaces.

The two tires are a mess too, really dirty and I bet that dirt was picked up in the shop. I doubt you'd let those tires get that dirty under your watch.

So, it begs the question - how did those two tires get so dirty and how did the two wheels get so scratched up on the outward facing surfaces? I'm suggesting the dirt and the scratching are related. The shop says they've never seen anything like it before. I'm saying they're being naive.

Something was sprayed in the shop. Some sort of pressure cleaning like soda or sand or some other medium. They were cleaning the paint off a car right next to yours and the power cleaner operator didn't mask of your car and we see the result.

If it did that to the wheels, inspect your paint on the lower portions of the same side. Wash the lower parts with a stripper like Dawn to reveal similar damage. The shop may have filled the paint damage with wax hoping you wouldn't notice until weeks later. Filling the paint damage with wax would show prior knowledge indicate an attempt to deceive. Maybe your paint will be ok though. If they're stripping the paint off the wheels of the car next to yours, maybe only the wheel areas were affected. Inspect the paint around the wheels anyway.

The damage happened in their shop so they should handle the repair on those good looking wheels, and maybe paint damage if the you find any.

An intriguing mystery for sure. Keep us in the loop.

My Cars
    F36
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    It's interesting that two of your wheels was affected, not four. I'm thinking the two wheels affected were on the same side of the vehicle right? And I notice most of the damage is on the outward facing flat surfaces with just a bit on a side surface here and there. Mostly on the outward facing surfaces.

The two tires are a mess too, really dirty and I bet that dirt was picked up in the shop. I doubt you'd let those tires get that dirty under your watch.

So, it begs the question - how did those two tires get so dirty and how did the two wheels get so scratched up on the outward facing surfaces? I'm suggesting the dirt and the scratching are related. The shop says they've never seen anything like it before. I'm saying they're being naive.

Something was sprayed in the shop. Some sort of pressure cleaning like soda or sand or some other medium. They were cleaning the paint off a car right next to yours and the power cleaner operator didn't mask of your car and we see the result.

If it did that to the wheels, inspect your paint on the lower portions of the same side. Wash the lower parts with a stripper like Dawn to reveal similar damage. The shop may have filled the paint damage with wax hoping you wouldn't notice until weeks later. Filling the paint damage with wax would show prior knowledge indicate an attempt to deceive. Maybe your paint will be ok though. If they're stripping the paint off the wheels of the car next to yours, maybe only the wheel areas were affected. Inspect the paint around the wheels anyway.

The damage happened in their shop so they should handle the repair on those good looking wheels, and maybe paint damage if the you find any.

An intriguing mystery for sure. Keep us in the loop.

You know what's really interesting....they returned the car back to me with random blotches of white, like polish that they didn't buff off...

It wasn't on the same side...it was both rear wheels....
    Last edited by miketymikey; 02-16-2018 at 02:16 AM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Good info.
    Something was done in the back area of the car then, not along the side.
    I assumed the markings on the wheels were scratches. Could they be some contaminant stuck to the surface? Do a little test - take a dab of ScratchX2.0 on a terry towel and work it onto an area of the wheel. Run your finger and fingernail over an area and see if you can determine if the markings are scratches in the clearcoat or bumpy stuff on the surface of the clearcoat.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Had my rear bumper fixed and i had these same marks, assumed it was clear coat from the paint. Surprisingly, I was able to get it off with some really good wax lol

My Cars
    bmw e30
    [QUOTE=miketymikey;29954574]I had my car in a body shop to have a fender fixed. When I picked it up, two of my wheels looked like this. I assume it happened when they cleaned my wheels. They said they never saw anything like this before. Any ideas?

MVIMG_20180203_105201.jpgMVIMG_20180203_105209.jpgMVIMG_20180203_105212.jpgMVIMG_20180203_105226.jpg[/QUOTE
    very possible it is polishing residue not wiped off...

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    That is clearcoat damage on your wheels, typically caused by using an acid-based cleaner. You'll have to have your wheels sanded to get rid of that and, more than likely, re-sprayed with clear to make them shine again. Someone used a cleaner on your wheels that they shouldn't have. Those are definitely not scratches though.
    2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro Prestige and S-Line Package

1990 BMW 325i - Work in progress.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If the OP is still around, I'm wondering if the rear tires were replaced recently before he noticed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    You should definitely ask the shop to get you a new pair. I'd be very pissed if that happened to me.
    I am a huge fan of cars, and i love writing about them.

https://autoclown.com