Thread: Questions about rear differential rebuild (seals, diff cover, etc)

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe

Questions about rear differential rebuild (seals, diff cover, etc)

So I will be working on my rear differential out of my '95. Along with doing the axle seals I will also be replacing the cover gasket. Is it necessary to add sealant along with the gasket? I believe loctite 5970 is recommended (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/83190404517/) but is it necessary with the gasket?

The diff has just under 150K on it. The car hasn't been tracked but will be once I get it all back together again. Is it worth rebuilding everything or just doing the seals? Is the input shaft seal more-or-less similar to doing the axle seals? Is there any sort of grease/lube that should be put on the axle seals or do they go on dry? Can I use some Curil-T? I used that stuff on my rear main seal.
    Last edited by ewrjontan; 02-15-2018 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I didn't use a gasket when I replaced my diff. I just used the black permatex stuff, which is what a lot of people do (anything intended for use on oil pans and transmissions and whatnot will work fine). Just clean off all the old gasket and put a nice bead of that all around. If you choose to use the OEM gasket, I think you can just use that unless Bentley says to use sealer in certain places as well (like on the oil pan and valve cover).

Up to you whether to rebuild, but if you're gonna take it apart at all it's absolutely worth checking to make sure no bolts inside the diff are loose or backing out as they tend to do over time. It makes fun noises when loose bolts start bouncing around inside the diff getting chewed up.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 02-15-2018 at 03:19 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I agree. If pulling the cover, blue loctite or even better, replace and loctite the carrier cap bolts. Bimmerdiffs and others sell them. You can add clutches as well.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    BMW no longer uses gaskets and calls for sealant only for your differential. Don’t use it, the right sealant will last far longer.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    On someones recommendation, i used toyota FIPG for my diff cover back in 2012. No leaks at all. You can get it at a toyota parts dept or online. I would guess any black RTV would be fine though.

Regarding the halfshaft seals, i cleaned the area with a towel and pressed in the new ones. I didnt do the input shaft seal but hear its the same process.
    Last edited by hc1001; 02-16-2018 at 10:53 PM.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    BMW no longer uses gaskets and calls for sealant only for your differential. Don’t use it, the right sealant will last far longer.
    bummer, I already have the gasket any reason to use both? I feel like RTV or any other sealant would be good enough.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
    bummer, I already have the gasket any reason to use both? I feel like RTV or any other sealant would be good enough.
    Don't use the gasket.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Got the diff apart yesterday except for the input shaft. If I just do the input shaft seal, is there any reason not to just go ahead, pop the input shaft out and replace the crush sleeve? It sounds like this could get complicated real quick :/

I wasn't able to find anything about the torque specs for the differential internal hardware. Anyone know or know where I can find the specs to make sure everything is tightened? Realoem (as far as I know) doesn't list the hardware for the lsd. Are the cap bolts more-or-less standard? I see that thayermotorsports.com sells them so I am assuming those will fit fine.
    Last edited by ewrjontan; 02-19-2018 at 06:07 PM.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    If you have not already read through this thread, you might be able to find a lot of the info you need;
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...36-Diff-Thread

- The paper gasket works fine, or any sealant rated for diff fluid.

- If the input shaft was not leaking, leave it alone.
    [IMG][/IMG]

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
    By using both a paper gasket and sealant then you'd be doubling the number of interfaces for a potential leak.

Like everybody has already said: don't use the crappy paper gasket. Do use decent quality commercial goo-in-a-tube gasket stuff that's made for automotive use. Not RTV silicone. Permatex Form-a-Gasket is perfectly decent.

Neil

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Pretty sure I used this

https://smile.amazon.com/Permatex-82...70_&dpSrc=srch

Works for the diff and any other gasket or supplemental gasket needs.

Funny story, my diff was one of the first things I DIY'd on my car. Not knowing any better, I just cleaned off the cover and slapped it on the new diff. I had a fun slow drip after that, since there was no gasket. Ran it long enough to break in the new diff to where I needed a fluid change and then removed it again and used the black RTV on it.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 02-20-2018 at 06:33 PM.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Any input on axle seals? Do these go in dry, with gear oil or some other sealant? I believe the Bentley says to use gear oil but just curious if things have changed/are done differently now.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I'd use oil on them.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Sounds good to me. Rather than make a new thread I figure I would try asking here. What are the torque specs for the subframe bolts/studs that connect the subframe to the body? From what I am seeing they are anywhere from 33 lb/ft, 57 lb/ft, 88 lb/ft or 103 lb/ft...Which one is it? Do the studs AND the bolts use the same value? What about the nut that goes to the stud?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    They're all 57 ft/lb. The studs and bolts are treated the same.