Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E46 Harmon Kardon - JL XD600/6 - Crossovers

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i

E46 Harmon Kardon - JL XD600/6 - Crossovers

Hello,

I am planning on tackling my E46s HK System sometime in the near future and could use some help.

I plan on using Technic's E46 HK Harness which gives me 12 speakers ( + and - ) and I plan on wiring them as follows:

(Front) JL Audio Channel 1 to a 3 way crossover and the run the tweeter/mid/woofer wires from the crossovers to the speakers using factory wiring in place

(Front) JL Audio Channel 2 to a 3 way crossover and the run the tweeter/mid/woofer wires from the crossovers to the speakers using factory wiring in place

(Rear) JL Audio Channel 3 to a 2 way crossover and the run the tweeter/mid wires from the crossovers to the speakers using factory wiring in place

(Rear) JL Audio Channel 4 to a 2 way crossover and the run the tweeter/mid wires from the crossovers to the speakers using factory wiring in place

(Sub) JL Audio Channel 5 and 6 to the subs directly with factory wiring in place.

The Crossovers I plan on using are the AudioPipe ones, specifically these:
    AudioPipe CRX-203
    AudioPipe CRX-303

I understand the speakers use different ohm ratings, what is that going to do to the crossover points and is it going to sound like complete junk?

Any input is appreciated.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I believe the E46 HK system has a single pair of wires going to each component set. As an example, there is a a single pair of wires running from the HK amp to the left front door speakers. Within the door there are capacitors that block specific frequencies so that each speaker gets just the frequencies it’s designed for. The non-HK E46s have an amp with built-in crossovers.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger81 View Post
    AudioPipe ones, specifically these:
    AudioPipe CRX-203
    AudioPipe CRX-303

I understand the speakers use different ohm ratings, what is that going to do to the crossover points and is it going to sound like complete junk?

Any input is appreciated.
    You would want to start with passive crossovers that are designed around the same speaker impedance as the ones you have in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    I believe the E46 HK system has a single pair of wires going to each component set. As an example, there is a a single pair of wires running from the HK amp to the left front door speakers. Within the door there are capacitors that block specific frequencies so that each speaker gets just the frequencies it’s designed for. The non-HK E46s have an amp with built-in crossovers.
    I don't believe that's the case with HK.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe + others ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    I don't believe that's the case with HK.
    That is correct. Every speaker driver in the E46 HK system has its own wire pair, connected to its own amplifier channel. Each HK amplifier channel is fronted internally with a crossover so that each channel's amplifier output is specific for each driver.

For wiring and pin outs see
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...71&postcount=1

The subwoofer is similar - each left and right channel amplifier has its own low-pass crossover at the input section of the amplifier. The two amplifier output channels are run into the two woofer speakers.

Due to the electrical design + implementation and the hardware components of the system, it is impractical to use the HK speakers with an aftermarket amplifier, and it is virtually impossible to use the HK amplifier with aftermarket speakers. Changing anything that follows the HK headunit is all or nothing.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Good to know. I thought it was a bit weird that an HK equipped E46 would have a different audio wiring harness.

My Cars
    2002 M3 Vert

Question about HK amp & crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
    That is correct. Every speaker driver in the E46 HK system has its own wire pair, connected to its own amplifier channel. Each HK amplifier channel is fronted internally with a crossover so that each channel's amplifier output is specific for each driver.

For wiring and pin outs see
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...71&postcount=1

The subwoofer is similar - each left and right channel amplifier has its own low-pass crossover at the input section of the amplifier. The two amplifier output channels are run into the two woofer speakers.

Due to the electrical design + implementation and the hardware components of the system, it is impractical to use the HK speakers with an aftermarket amplifier, and it is virtually impossible to use the HK amplifier with aftermarket speakers. Changing anything that follows the HK headunit is all or nothing.
    Earlier in this thread I thought I read that the e46 M3 HK system has a single pair of wires leading to each set of component speakers. Meaning that the crossovers are not in the amp. Then this posting seems to contradict that.

Does the e46 M3 HK amp contain the cross overs or not?

I am running an aftermarket HU with the RCA pre-amp outputs heading to the HK amp. Everything works fine but the volume is not very loud for highway driving with the convertible top down. I'd like to simply by pass the HK amp and let the aftermarket HU power the speakers (I'd have to switch to line level out put of course). If the crossovers are in the HK amp this will be a big project to by pass the amp and install cross-overs. If the cross-overs are with the speakers then maybe this is not such a big job to just cut out the HK amp and then power the speakers from the line level out of the deck.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The signals that run from the factory head unit to the factory amp are balanced differential regardless of the audio system. These signals have a higher voltage than RCA signals but lower than speaker level signals. Are you sure you’re not connecting the wires from the head unit to the speaker level inputs on the amp??