Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coolant and no heat!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i
    Ok, found them!!! So to explain it you have the intake port gasket, and then you have the gasket going around another smaller hole. Under that are these units, and the reason why they fell out was when i was trying to install the intake, the gasket kept on falling down...

My Cars
    2000 323i E46 wagon, '743.0Csi, '733.0CS, '67 912,
    Quote Originally Posted by craigd4937 View Post
    and I guess I didn't explain what happened. I was driving to work and had noticed the temp gauge was climbing and almost to the red the temp, thats when the heater stopped working, when I got off the freeway, I was in the red and had stopped and was letting it cool down. when I got it to work it was steaming and figured it was the thermostat, changed it out and now the car doesn't overheat, but no heat out of the vents, just cold air.....
    You didn't even describe this until post #16, let alone not explain. Geese! If one wanted someone understand the problem and be able to help, one should describe the problem in detail.

Back to the core of the problem, and this piece of information is important. Let's see if we can understand why certainly the engine started to overheat and during this exact moment the car had no hot water running to the cabin heater core. You sounded like the bad thermostat causing the overheat and somehow the bad thermostat also to cause no hot water to the heater core. Is this possible?

Remove the thermostat and look into the hole on the head. Your head might not fit in there but right behind the thermostat is the water channel into the head and to the said hear pipe. I look at the thermostat picture and I don't know the function of the spring loaded metal disc that bottom out on the round opening on the head. When the thermostat open at hot coolant, this disc still sits flat on the hole and so the coolant does not flow from thermostat housing to/from the head. Now I'm not sure how the coolant system moving within the engine. When thermostat opens, how and where the coolant moves through it body, anyone?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123