Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Avant 2 screwed up firmeware

My Cars
    2001 535i

Avant 2 screwed up firmeware

Hi I hope someone can help me, a few months ago I emailed tommy in regards to new firmware for the avant 2 he sent a link for the 2015 update which I installed and now the head unit is doing stupid things rebooting not finding stations ca't load apps and a load of other things. I want to sell my e39 535i but I need the radio fixed. I again emailed Tommy and he didn't give a link to a pre 2015 version only a discount off of a avant 3. I can't afford 700 to fix a firmware problem. Is there anyone here that can help me find pre 2015 version firmware so I can get my radio working again.

Regards Bob

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

The 'Avin' brand is owned/run by the guy called 'Tommy'. He will have all the required support/firmware for the unit and is your only point of contact, so ask for a previous version of the firmware from him. You 'might' have a small chance someone somewhere has the downloaded file for an earlier version sitting on their computer/backup drives and that they'll read this post. If not, and if Tommy can't provide an older version and won't provide a newer version, then you're basically stuffed.

The only thing I can think of is to look online at forums like Xda-developers where knowledgeable programmers create their own firmware for all these cheap chinese low quality head units. Given the 'Avin' is probably just a rebrand of one of the generic units, hopefully home brew firmware might work on it. You might have to ask on the forum there. Chances again are low there's a 'custom' firmware for the Avin 2. If there isn't, you'll have to ask if anyone is willing to write some. That might entail sending your unit to them or opening it up to get IC's and Component specifics off that low quality hardware to identify it. You might have to pay some money towards anyones time/knowledge as well. At the end of that, you 'might' get a working unit back or you might not. It's possible that some of the hardware has/is failing and thats causing your issues.

As ever, with these cheap chinese generic units - even if 'branded', it's buyer beware. Good, effective Support levels are low due to the generic/cheap nature of the hardware and software.

Another alternative is to take the Avin 2 out, and put in a entry level single DIN head unit from one of the premium brands so that you can sell the car with a working audio solution. Sell off the Avin for spares/repair and see if anyone does buy it. If not, next time you need car audio, don't buy low quality items!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2001 535i
    Hi Dennis,

I will try and ask him again maybe I got him on a bad day, as for cheap I bought this avant 2 from from him and it cost me $850 plus gas pcn and a amp all up about $1500. The unit was working ok till the upgrade.

Regards Bob