Thread: E39 M5 Bumper Install

My Cars
    E39 540I

E39 M5 Bumper Install

Hey Guys

I am currently rebuilding my front end after an accident a few years back. I was running just a bumper with no chops or any aero parts.
    As I never took apart any of it myself, I now have a full kit to put back on the car, but a few pieces I am unsure about.

This is where I am at now
    20180210_163000.jpg

Here is the image from real OEM

RealOEM.jpg

Does anyone have a link to a guide or diy process for the install? The parts that I am not sure on in particular are 15 and 16? (They are gaskets)
    Apparently 16 goes along under the headlights and the kidney grills, where does 15 go? (there are two of them)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

E39540v8

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello - take a look at the link below to a DIY tech article from our site on the install guide.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by E39540V8 View Post
    Hey Guys

I am currently rebuilding my front end after an accident a few years back. I was running just a bumper with no chops or any aero parts.
    As I never took apart any of it myself, I now have a full kit to put back on the car, but a few pieces I am unsure about.

This is where I am at now
    20180210_163000.jpg

Here is the image from real OEM

RealOEM.jpg

Does anyone have a link to a guide or diy process for the install? The parts that I am not sure on in particular are 15 and 16? (They are gaskets)
    Apparently 16 goes along under the headlights and the kidney grills, where does 15 go? (there are two of them)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

E39540v8
    The 15 pieces are a rubber gasket that goes around the upper lip of the bumper under the headlights and fenders to fill the gaps. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case as there are two pieces separated with a cut in the middle on mine. As for 16, I'm not really sure where that is, unless it's under the bumper to go between the belly pan and the bumper and keep them from rubbing/rattling. I think my old M5 bumper (OE) already had it on there and my new replacement (OE as well) would have been installed from the body shop, but I can't recall.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E39 540I
    Hey Blackknight

Thanks for the reply, I was looking through the "What you did today" thread and found a pic from Ruski with the gasket attached, so you have confirmed that to be correct. I do have a belly pan, but for now I think I will just run with the pork chops and connect up the brake ducts, alternator vents and belly pan at a later date.

Thanks for the help

E39540v8

My Cars
    E39, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by E39540V8 View Post
    Hey Blackknight

Thanks for the reply, I was looking through the "What you did today" thread and found a pic from Ruski with the gasket attached, so you have confirmed that to be correct. I do have a belly pan, but for now I think I will just run with the pork chops and connect up the brake ducts, alternator vents and belly pan at a later date.

Thanks for the help

E39540v8
    E39540v8 are you using the M5 Porkchops and M5 belly pan? I ask because I have a 530i and I am about to do the same thing. I purchased an aftermarket Mtech bumper, and now I am looking into all the parts I will need. I have read that most people get rid of their brake ducts and alternator vents because they dont fit with the Mtech bumper. However if you have the grille with "t bar" then they do fit. Are you going to use the t bar grille?
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost
    2002 530i/5 M-Sport
    1994 318i/5 (Up for sale Soon)

My Cars
    E39 540I
    Quote Originally Posted by mebjr12 View Post
    E39540v8 are you using the M5 Porkchops and M5 belly pan? I ask because I have a 530i and I am about to do the same thing. I purchased an aftermarket Mtech bumper, and now I am looking into all the parts I will need. I have read that most people get rid of their brake ducts and alternator vents because they dont fit with the Mtech bumper. However if you have the grille with "t bar" then they do fit. Are you going to use the t bar grille?
    Hey Mebjr12
    This is the kit I got from ECS, yes it was very expensive
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/51710027253/
    This includes the ducts and everything with it so it will all fit. This kit has the Tbar, although i prefer the look with just an open mesh. I will try and run my cheap M5 bumper lower mesh for now (this won't be able to mount the ductwork) until I can get the proper non T-Bar mesh.

I also got the M5 pork chops before they became uber expensive, I paid 60 a side.

The car originally came with a full M5 kit, including the belly pan, so I do have the option of running it, although it is a smidge damaged.

E39540v8

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by mebjr12 View Post
    Belly pan and pork chops for a 530i with M-tech package are different than 540i/M5. You're only option is to look for one from outside the US where you could actually buy a 530i M-sport or buy new ones from BMW.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E39, E39
    Will my stock belly pan be short to use? I actually hit a blown out tire on the interstate the other day and it took my belly pan and pork chops with it. It also messed up my aux fan. So I figured this would be the best time to get all the correct stuff needed.
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost
    2002 530i/5 M-Sport
    1994 318i/5 (Up for sale Soon)

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    Same thing happened to me. I hit i tractor trailer tread and now my electric fan runs in crazy mode even on a cold start in the middle of winter

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    Same thing happened to me. I hit i tractor trailer tread and now my electric fan runs in crazy mode even on a cold start in the middle of winter
    You sure that it wasn't the ambient temp sensor being ripped off or damaged? What does the temp say on the dash?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Paul