Thread: More sunroof problems

My Cars
    1998 E36 328i

More sunroof problems

Today we had nice weather so i open my sun roof but when i went to close it it wouldnt move. The motor doesnt even make a sound, if I press it to open more the motor makes a click but thats it. The allan on the motor is kinda striped from a previous owner. Any suggestions, before it stats to snow again?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    wind it open a bit more then close
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1998 E36 328i
    Wish i could, the allan is stripped, worst case ill have to jb weld something in there and get it shut.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Quote Originally Posted by bcurrie View Post
    Today we had nice weather so i open my sun roof but when i went to close it it wouldnt move. The motor doesnt even make a sound, if I press it to open more the motor makes a click but thats it. The allan on the motor is kinda striped from a previous owner. Any suggestions, before it stats to snow again?

Gonna have to rebuild the cartridge and get a replacement motor assembly that isn't stripped. Mine was the same, now it's smooth as butta. Redo your headliner while you have it out.

My Cars
    1998 E36 328i
    I figured it out, the reason it would click when i would hit open is the motor thought it was closed. I took off the motor and tried both ways and it was happy to do both. I need up just hitting open and allow the motor and gear to turn then put it back on and hit close and it shut no problem. Problem now is it doesnt seem to be dale in perfectly with open and close.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    I figured it out, the reason it would click when i would hit open is the motor thought it was closed. I took off the motor and tried both ways and it was happy to do both. I need up just hitting open and allow the motor and gear to turn then put it back on and hit close and it shut no problem. Problem now is it doesnt seem to be dale in perfectly with open and close.

Problem isn't going away IMO. Tracks get gunked up with pine needles, small twigs, etc and jam up the entire thing. The cables need cleaned, regreased, and could probably use new lifters/slides while you are in there.

My Cars
    1998 E36 328i
    I actually just cleaned and lubed all the sliders and it was moving fine. It is working fine again now, well just have to see if it says happy.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    I actually just cleaned and lubed all the sliders and it was moving fine. It is working fine again now, well just have to see if it says happy.

Should be good for a while then. GJ. The allen bolt becomes stripped for a reason, and if you don't address it (like you did), then this pops up again.

My Cars
    1998 E36 328i
    Itll be good until summer, thats all I really care about right now. Doesnt bother me in this -15-30C weather