Thread: Rear electric sunshade retrofit and other questions

My Cars
    325xi; 740i

Rear electric sunshade retrofit and other questions

I picked up an electric rear sunshade that works for a screaming deal of $200 with buttons and parcel shelf. Do you have to splice into an accessory power line does the harness already exist within the car? I can also get the infinity reference system from the same car but how difficult is that to get all running? And to make the list longer that same car yet again has the electric rear heated seats and I can pickup again for a screaming deal but how hard would that be to get working?

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    I can say this, the infinity system will be a no go unless you want to spend countless hours adapting it. And then you will end up repacking it anyway like I did.

Not sure about shade, but odds are you will have to wire it all up. Shogun might know for certain.

Yours does not have heated rear seats already?

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    I don't mind wiring too much but the question is, is the infinity that much better than stock? Or is it a nill difference. The owner said he'd give me every speaker, amp and all for $100 even though I already have the rear deck speakers and infinity grills.

I was hoping I would get a bit lucky with the sunshade but either way if I'm wiring it myself I'll add a second button up next to the radio for ease of use.

My rear seats are just plain old seats being mines a 740 non L. I've heard it is possible to retrofit them however.

Come to think of it, how hard would it be to retrofit the headlight washers primarily for look.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    There is a retrofit instruction for the electric rear sunshade I posted 10 years ago and we keep it here http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/464449
    But in most of the cases the toothed wheel of the electric shunshade lost some theeth and the gear is making noise and rattling, but I have a special made steel toothed wheel and an enforcement bush on offer to replace the weak original gear
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-rear-sunshade

Headlight washer retrofit maybe here under EBA http://www.ow.no/index.php?option=co...id=3&Itemid=13

here from E34, big file, 32 MB E34 Factory Options Guide http://www.olieroe.nl/auto/bmw530iA/...ions_Guide.pdf

E32 EBAs https://bmweba.com/tag/e32/
    Last edited by shogun; 02-13-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Shogun: I may order one. On an unrelated note do you still have the fade out lighting mod?

I decided to try and bench test my sunshade, my assumption from it being extended out that it worked was incorrect. The module clicks to go either direction but the motor is dead even with direct power. Looks like I'll have to take the motor off and try repairing it unless the motor is a common one.

I read on one post that the infinity system was 91 only and that is incorrect, the car I'm getting parts off of is a 94 and has the infinity. The rear deck lid grills have the infinity logo and the speakers. I also read that there's really only one speaker that needs to be wired which is the one in the middle of the dash.

Are there any write-ups for electric seat retrofit?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Fade out lights out of stock, maybe in summer again or autumn, have some inquiries from Ferrari F430 drivers for the dimmer module.
    As for the motor: maybe that is overload, the motor is controlled/shut off by increase of amps and a time delay. Usually the motor is no problem, sometimes the control unit, see here http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-heckrollo.htm
    translate this regarding cold soldering points in the control unit: Elektr. Sonnenrollo geht nur in einer Richtung - Steuergeraet
    Sollte bei dem elektrisch betriebenen Sonnenrollo an der Heckscheibe einmal der Fehler auftauchen, dass das Rollo sich nur noch in einer Richtung bewegen laesst, kann das an dem Steuergergeraet liegen. An dem Steuergeraet befinden sich zwei Buchsen; einmal fuer den Motor (PIN 1 und 2) und einmal fuer die Spannungsversorgung (PIN 5) und die Steuerimpulse 12 Volt (PIN 1 und 2). PIN 3 ist Masse. Das Steuergergeraet enthaeltt zwei Hochlastrelais zum Umpolen der Motorspannung. Dadurch laeuft der Motor sowohl links als auch rechtsherum. Abgeschaltet wird der Motor ueber eine vorgegebene Zeit. Der Fehler bei dem entsprechenden Modul war, dss es zwar auf, aber nicht mehr zu fuhr. Eines der Relais hatte eine kalte Loetstelle. Die Loestelle von dem Schutzlack befreien und sauber nachloeten. Zum Testen kann man anstelle des Motors auch eine 10 Watt Birne mit Pruefklemmen anschliessen.

Regrease the whole system, check for bends in the mechanism of the sunshade.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-rear-sunshade
    quote:
    found my motor was still having issues getting the blind past the 2/3 point, so I took it out, loosened and refit the aluminum bars, lightly greased the rails and it moved much more freely then. Mine had been broken for quite some time even from the previous owner so it probably seized up slightly.
    ------------
    translate that:

Technische Info VK-23 Pollatschek Group: 51 511642000 02.05.97 Sonnenschutzrollo der Heckscheibe defekt E31, E32, E34, E36, E38, E39 Beanstandung: Elektrisches Heckscheiben-Sonnenschutzrollo ohne Funktion.
    Ursache: Getriebezahnrad im Sonnenschutzrollo-Antrieb beschaedigt beziehungsweise Lagertoleranzen im Antriebsmotor

Maßnahme:
    1. Pruefen, ob das Gestaenge in einwandfreiem Zustand (nicht verbogen) ist. Achtung: Der Antrieb darf nicht (!) betrieben werden, solange er nicht komplett mit dem System verbunden ist.
    2. Bei verbogenem Gestaenge kann derzeit nur die gesamte Einheit ersetzt werden.
    3. Bei einwandfreiem Gestaenge ist nur der Antrieb zu ersetzen. Wichtig: Beim Antriebswechsel unbedingt die Einstellung der Zugstangen beachten beziehungsweise wie folgt einstellen:
    - Lager an den Zugstangen durch neue Lager ersetzen.
    - Antrieb auf Motorplatte auflegen und mit 3 Schrauben ansetzen - nicht festziehen!
    - Antriebsscheibe mit Zugstangen auf Antrieb auflegen.
    - Auszugsprofil von Hand herausziehen, bis die Verzahnung der Antriebsscheibe im Abtriebsstern des Antriebs einrastet.
    - Antriebsscheibe am Antrieb festschrauben.
    - Spannungsversorgung herstellen und Rollo ganz ausfahren.
    - Im ausgefahrenen Zustand die 3 Schrauben an der Motorplatte festziehen.
    - Pruefen, ob die Hebelarme gleichmaessig einfahren. Die ersten 10 cm besonders beachten.
    - Gegebenenfalls die 3 Schrauben loesen und Antrieb nachjustieren. Zum Beispiel linker Hebelarm faehrt frueher los - Antrieb nach rechts schieben, rechter Hebelarm faehrt frueher los - Antrieb nach links schieben.
    - Die 3 Schrauben am Antrieb festziehen.
    - Nochmals pruefen, ob die Hebelarme gleichmaessig einfahren

Are there any write-ups for electric seat retrofit?
    no, because you do not want to do that work. ;-)
    people are happy that they do not have it. But some have done it, see here, just reverse ,Rear Seat removal (electrical) http://www.ow.no/index.php?option=co...d=26&Itemid=13
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/62868

also the i is too short to drive the seats completely forward, they may touch on the door cards, the iL rear door is longer.
    Last edited by shogun; 02-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Hopefully it is just the module, I ohmed the motor and it had no ohms. The muiltimeter would flash 0 ohms then go to open circuit. My primary reasoning for the electric rear seat is for the factory looking heated seats.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Maybe you try to find a solution with aftermarket seat heating mats for the rear, a conversion to single electric seats in the rear is quite a job to do.
    I only found this EBA for the front https://bmweba.com/eba-01-29-9-789-415/

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    My front seats are heated and work magnificently luckily.

Good news on the sunshade, I pulled the motor out and tested it again and it decided to start working as it should. Put it back on and sent a quick signal through the module to lower the shade and it kicked the motor on but as it turns out the plastic gear is broken.

I talked with the guy with the 750iL and I now will have the original E32 car phone with all modules to get it to power on since no carrier will activate it. I am also getting the CD changer in the trunk to put into my car also. It looks I am going from a lightly optioned 740i to being a heavily optioned model.
    New Daily:
    2011 Audi A6 Avant 3.0T prestige. 1 of 368

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Fresh 72k mile engine with all new seals. True E34 Manual Trans Engine Harness. 6spd Transmission Swap, Getrag 420G. RHD LW Single Mass Flywheel. E39 M5 Clutch. E39 M5 Shifter. Factory Car Phone. Factory 6CD Changer. Factory Electric Sunshade. Not So Factory Factory Electric/Heated Rear Seats. E38 Heater Valves. E43 M5 calipers/brakes

Sold:
    1996 Oldsmobile Aurora; 194k miles but with a bad paint job and dented fender resulting in a payout to buy the 740i

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    o.k., the stronger steel toothed wheel plus re-enforcement bush I have on stock. Contact me any time you need.
    In case there is a complete 750iL and you can get all the parts out of that for the single electric rear seats including electric headrests, switches, the 2 Z-shaped brackets for the seat bottom, all the wirings and relays under the seats etc, then you could try to convert to single rear seats, heated.
    You also have to weld on 2 sleeves onto the chassis for the Z-shaped brackets, or maybe all E32 have them already, no matter if the seats are single seats or not, have to check.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    I have made a new unfortunate discovery of my new sunshade. I took the transmission apart on it and found the plastic gear is perfectly fine however the big metal gear next to it is stripped out in two places and makes no contact with the plastic gear anymore. Not sure what to do now.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The big toothed wheel I can supply, here shown with the reinforcement bush http://de.tinypic.com/usermedia.php?...c#.WoYJaYPFKUl

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    That's good to hear. What would be the cost for them and a replacement for the plastic gear? Are there any tips to getting the spring underneath installed correctly? I tried a few times and couldn't get it to sit in there and want to rotate at all.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    detailed instructions and cost in here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-rear-sunshade

and sometimes check on my website, it is there too! fixes/blinds - Replacing worn gear of rear window.... http://twrite.org/shogunnew/fixes/bl...f_rear_window_
    Last edited by shogun; 02-15-2018 at 06:22 PM.

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    I found a full retrofit kit not far from me, I want to go this route as well, but I'm afraid of how hard it wuld be to retrofit. Obviously I will have to order shogun's gears and refurbish it before I install it, it would be silly not to do this as preventative before installing it.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Its really not that hard to retrofit, you run two power wires and two grounds with two from the module to the switch and the Bently manual can tell you which one goes where and with what fuse.

I was thinking today and retrofitting new features to these cars, does the E65/6 Homelink mirror mount with the same mount on the windshield? Just curious as mine is already the auto dimming with power, ground and reverse signal at the mirror already and the additional garage door opener and compass is rather appealing.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Fresh 72k mile engine with all new seals. True E34 Manual Trans Engine Harness. 6spd Transmission Swap, Getrag 420G. RHD LW Single Mass Flywheel. E39 M5 Clutch. E39 M5 Shifter. Factory Car Phone. Factory 6CD Changer. Factory Electric Sunshade. Not So Factory Factory Electric/Heated Rear Seats. E38 Heater Valves. E43 M5 calipers/brakes

Sold:
    1996 Oldsmobile Aurora; 194k miles but with a bad paint job and dented fender resulting in a payout to buy the 740i

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Whilst I am here pondering things at work, is there any reason I cannot fit the iL door blinds to a non L? My thought is that it will it just wont fully extend like it would in the long wheel base.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold:

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    iL rear doors are wider, the door blinds of an iL ill probably not fit on a normal i door in size