Thread: E30 Dash, HAVC , rear ash tray lights are out - Help!

My Cars
    Busted E36

E30 Dash, HAVC , rear ash tray lights are out - Help!

Hey guys. Hopefully someone can guide me with this issue. So I started doing my dash swap on this weekend. I was able to remove it with out any issues, made sure to document what went were by taking photos with my phone. After a few issues with installing the crack free dash (FUN FACT: Not all dashes are created equal), I wanted to make sure all the dash bulbs were replaced before reinstalling everything. So I went ahead and bought new bulbs, replaced each one and tested them out by turning the ignition switch on. As I was reinstalling the lower parts of the dash. I noticed the lights (Dash, hvac) were flickering on and off. The battery shortly died after that (I had left the light on and key in the ignition when I left for a short break). Anyways, I took the battery to get recharged, When I came back and reinstalled the battery, I noticed the mentioned lights weren't working. I'm going to check all the fuses tonight and go from there. I did notice the headlight switch bulb still worked and but didnt dim when turning the headlight switch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This dash install has been kicking my butt for 3 days now...

And yes, I realize now the having the battery connected during the dash install was probably not the best idea but too late for that now.

Sig by Compactive - Photo by 1013MM

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    check fuses and anywhere you might have put a screw or something through a wire?
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    check fuses and anywhere you might have put a screw or something through a wire?
    yes and also check to see if you might have pinched a wire somewhere during the install. most likely you shorted something - ground wire.

See if the cluster dims with the headlight switch when you turn it. the two should be working together along with all the other HVAC lighter etc.

My Cars
    Busted E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceekers View Post
    yes and also check to see if you might have pinched a wire somewhere during the install. most likely you shorted something - ground wire.

See if the cluster dims with the headlight switch when you turn it. the two should be working together along with all the other HVAC lighter etc.
    First thing I did was check and replace all the fuses. I pulled everything out and all the wires seem to check out. The head light switch works with turning on and off the head lights but doesn't dim. I think that may be the culprit. I'm going to change out the switch tomorrow and see it that does the job (Fingers crossed)

Sig by Compactive - Photo by 1013MM

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    sounds like a good plan
    No e30s again.