Thread: Overpaying for a clean example? Struggling with whether or not to buy a $7k E30

My Cars
    1991 325

Overpaying for a clean example? Struggling with whether or not to buy a $7k E30

The time has finally come. I've been searching the internet for a little over 4 months now with the search for an E30 in particular being on and off. Finally settled on a car and I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

It's a 1990 325iS with a stock cardinal red interior. Same owners using the same 5-star Yelp mechanic since 1999/20k mi. Older couple I think. They held onto all the service records. The car has no mechanical problems and for the most part nothing cosmetic either. It does have 200k on the odo however, and some paint chipping on the spoiler. I'm sure other little things will pop up when viewing in person, but from what I see it's a fantastically clean E30 so little things I don't care about can be used to my advantage.

The problem? The owner wants $7k. I got him down from $7.8k right off the bat so hopefully I can get in the mid-sixes when I mention the mileage and spoiler. He turned down $6k so there's not a chance it's getting lower than that unless I arrive and it has serious issues (unlikely).

On one hand, I could hold out for something else to come along for cheaper. I initially wanted a fixer-upper and with patience a "meh" E30 can be had for $3-5k all day. Closer to $3k if it's an eta. I don't need a daily for another few months and while I'm not strapped for cash I'd be more than happy to save almost a third of the car's cost.

On the other hand I see far too many E30s going for upwards of $8k nowadays (same story as the E36 M3) and others have predicted that all E30s will be out of reach in a few years. Not to mention that this late model sport 325 is the most desirable non-M E30 trim to my knowledge. And a cardinal red carpet to boot? Not a chance of me finding another one of those in such a cared for car. I was planning to buy a black interior and convert it to cardinal red for about $1k (black so I don't have to deal with a tan headliner/carpet) so this lets me pretend that the car costs less than I'm really paying :)

Please give me advice as to what to do. I initially wanted to spend no more than $5-6k regardless of what car I went with, and while $7k is definitely not out of reach if it's unnecessary then why not ask. I'm mentioning all this stuff about the car just to get a feel for whether or not the experts (AKA you guys) believe any of it constitutes paying a little extra. For example, if you take hypothetical car B and slash its price down to $4.5k but also throw in an M42 with a little shoddy history tacked on and a broken odo to top it off, now which do you choose?

TLDR: pay a little extra now for something clean that I really like, or hold out a little while longer and save some money in the process?

Side question, does anyone know the headliner color of a stock cardinal E30? Can't find any pics online. I'm assuming it is black but if it's red that would be extremely cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    That’s a nice car but I agree that north of $6k is special territory for a e30. It would have to be mint (interior looks to be mint) and I would expect all the suspension parts to be recently refreshed and that the coolant hoses and anything rubber under the hood be like new. So,

new suspension bushings and shocks
    quiet rear differential
    dust boots around rear shafts and steering rack solid
    new rubber fuel lines
    no leaking at steering rack, reservoir, pump
    no oil leaks, seeping
    working A/C
    recent timing belt/water pump
    recent cap/rotor/plug wires/plugs/coil

crack free dash
    all door and window seals fresh looking
    every light bulb and dash component functional

For around $7 K you shouldn’t need to repair or refresh anything. Someone will buy it so if you want it really go through it and pull the trigger. I bought 2 e30 cars last year, both right at $5k. I needed to refresh them with all the rubber bits you can imagine and wear items under the hood, both had original from factory coolant hoses, fuel lines, etc....my interiors are as clean and original as your car you’re looking at but comfort seats so you’re right that it’s a desireable interior worth extra money. I think for $6k it’s a good deal, for $7k you shouldn’t need to get your hands dirty for the first year driving that car.
    1987 325e, coupe, 5speed
    1989 325i, sedan, 5speed

My Cars
    e30, e61
    If you don't buy it, someone will at that price. Being able to bring the price down is completely dependent on the urgency of the seller.

Like you said - this is a desirable model and it is better than average.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    E30 tax is getting higher. I've sold 2 for around $6k but they both need some sorting. You're gonna pay $4-5k for decent example that still needs some work. Or you can put in $6-7k for one that's done. If that one is all sorted and needs nothing then that's probably a decent price.

My Cars
    1991 325
    Quote Originally Posted by 325e '87 View Post
    That’s a nice car but I agree that north of $6k is special territory for a e30. It would have to be mint (interior looks to be mint) and I would expect all the suspension parts to be recently refreshed and that the coolant hoses and anything rubber under the hood be like new. So,

new suspension bushings and shocks
    quiet rear differential
    dust boots around rear shafts and steering rack solid
    new rubber fuel lines
    no leaking at steering rack, reservoir, pump
    no oil leaks, seeping
    working A/C
    recent timing belt/water pump
    recent cap/rotor/plug wires/plugs/coil

crack free dash
    all door and window seals fresh looking
    every light bulb and dash component functional

For around $7 K you shouldn’t need to repair or refresh anything. Someone will buy it so if you want it really go through it and pull the trigger. I bought 2 e30 cars last year, both right at $5k. I needed to refresh them with all the rubber bits you can imagine and wear items under the hood, both had original from factory coolant hoses, fuel lines, etc....my interiors are as clean and original as your car you’re looking at but comfort seats so you’re right that it’s a desireable interior worth extra money. I think for $6k it’s a good deal, for $7k you shouldn’t need to get your hands dirty for the first year driving that car.
    Thanks for all the good info. Talked to the guys mechanic and as expected it has some issues. Minor power steering leak for example, and he's checking for anything else. The maintenance is up to date but it wasn't changed yesterday, for example timing belt is due in about 20k.

I'm going to really work for $6.1-6.2k ish, guy is pretty reasonable so we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    We're still not talking about a huge amount of money for a car, especially if it is one you like. Think about how much people pay for brand new junkie cars...

If the timing belt is coming up, and probably a valve job, use those as arguing points for a lower price.

By the way, no leak is "minor," so don't use that word if you point it out to the owner. A leak is a leak.

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Is it worth spending many months of your life searching for another one to save $500 to $1,000? If it is as nice as it looks in the pictures, why not?

The big question is whether or not there's rust underneath.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    1991 325
    Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. I pulled the trigger. The seller wouldn't budge from $7k and there were obviously issues with it common across all E30s. Were it not for his cardinal interior saving me an initial thousand dollar investment I probably would have walked.

I paid a little too much for a car with quite a few issues, but starting her up put the biggest smile on my face. The feeling of owning one of these is worth $7k alone. Will post some pics when I get a chance.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Congrats brother.

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    Congrats! The newest bmw I’ve ever been in is a ‘91 i car and I have zero desire for anything else so I completely understand your glee. Here’s mine. My son has an ‘87, he’s only 15 but I couldn’t wait to get him one.

5159286A-D999-45D6-B7F5-F28D7B55639E.jpg
    1987 325e, coupe, 5speed
    1989 325i, sedan, 5speed

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    My guess is that 10 years from now you won’t think you paid too much if you hold on to it and improve it.

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    My guess is that 10 years from now you won’t think you paid too much if you hold on to it and improve it.
    OP could probably sell the car in the rust belt and make a profit today. I don't think they overpaid at all for an iS with a nice cardinal interior.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    I agree /\

if it makes you happy than 7k is not too much and in a number of years when you look back on it, it won't matter
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    This is a very interesting thread because I just recently bought a chipped 1984 325e with basket weaves, H/R springs and Bilstein sports, and a well preserved red sport interior. And I paid??? $7,000! I think that you will be glad you didn't let this car get away. Cheers, John

My Cars
    1987 325ic
    Seems like a very fair price for a plastic bumper 325is.

And don't all the power steering pumps leak? That's why there's a bottle of ATF in the trunk!

My Cars
    e30, e61
    Right? My pump and rack don't leak, my hoses used to leak and I've now fixed those and replaced the reservoir, but I'm pretty sure the brand new reservoir is weeping. I'm pretty sure power steering systems on e30's are cursed.

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by DRVN2WN View Post
    Right? My pump and rack don't leak, my hoses used to leak and I've now fixed those and replaced the reservoir, but I'm pretty sure the brand new reservoir is weeping. I'm pretty sure power steering systems on e30's are cursed.
    Using Lucas stop leak fixed my leaking power steering system. I too had replaced everything with new parts, remanufactured rack, new hoses, new reservoir, rebuilt pump. I think the issue is that ATF is just too thin, and the seals aren't tight enough in the system.

My Cars
    just go manual steering
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1987 325ic
    Only 325is E30 on Auto Trader is a 1987 diving board bumper car listed for $8800.

I miss my 1991 325is. RIP

My Cars
    I feel you. I should have never gotten rid of the 89 325i or the 91 318 mtech2 euro I had
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    Me too. I had a ‘91 325i, black with grey cloth 2 door manual. I drove it for maybe 8 years, odometer broke showing 228,000 miles. I sold it in 2004 I think?

at the time I thought “I really hate to see this go but maybe in the future I’ll get a newer bmw and that’ll make me happy.”

thing is, at the time I didn’t know that none of the new cars appeal to me in the slightest. Now? I’m good with my e30 and maybe some day I’ll drop a bunch of cash on an e28.
    1987 325e, coupe, 5speed
    1989 325i, sedan, 5speed

My Cars
    I know. I look at the e28 535i and think how cool would that be