Thread: Tips or experiences of buying off German Ebay?

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring

Tips or experiences of buying off German Ebay?

i'm specifically trying to get a tow bar module for my old e39 bmw 5 series from 2003. In the states, we never got a tow bar even though the frame is perfectly capable of supporting it.
    the only ways to get the westfalia detachable class 2 tow bar is used, which you only find on german ebay, or new through shmiedmann, which is a great site but incredibly expensive.
    for comparison; here's a full set of all the parts and wiring and plastic bits i need for 176 euro
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Anhangerkuppl...sAAOSwZlZaO8bP
    versus shmiedmann's shiny new one for 426 usd or 348 euros, AND the wiring kit SEPARATE for 254 usd or 207 euro
    https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...product=303229
    https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...1-60-0-028-229
    and that doesn't include 133 usd or 108 euro for shipping! yikes!
    So i have a pretty heavy incentive to get it off german ebay, but i've never purchased anything off german ebay, speak essentially no german outside of google translate, and i don't think i have ever purchased anything from outside the country either aside from a special can cable from the uk a few years ago...

so has anyone done stuff like this before? is the language barrier annoying?
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    I have purchased items from Europe, England,Latvia and Germany maybe ten times off of U.S. eBay without any problems.
    Make sure they ship to U.S.A. and plan on waiting anywhere from two to five weeks to receive your shipment.
    Tracking is poor. My shipments get into New York post office and disappear for up to 2 weeks then show up at doorstep without any notice.
    Would I buy off German eBay ? Yes if seller has a good rating.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    I bought a euro 3.5" intake airbox from Ebay UK with no issues. Just take the same precautions you would if ordering from Ebay US.
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Make sure they ship to U.S.A. and plan on waiting anywhere from two to five weeks to receive your shipment.
    two to five weeks? oh dear. the purpose of buying this thing is for moving out of state for a job, although that won't be until mid march at this rate
    i guess if i want it, i gotta buy it asap
    Last edited by joekitch; 02-11-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    two to five weeks? oh crap. the purpose of buying this thing is for moving out of state for a job, although that won't be until mid march at this rate
    i guess if i want it, i gotta buy it asap
    Something that big might not go though the Post Office if your lucky. Postal pkg's leave Europe quickly but then sit in New York for what seems like forever.
    DHL sometimes get delivered by USPS just fyi. China same also.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    That seller has a good rating, but consider the shipping cost for this heavy stuff, plus maybe import duty and local tax
    Shipping: EUR 177.15 Economy Shipping | International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.
    Ships to: Americas, Europe, Asia , Delivery: Estimated between Thu. Mar. 8 and Fri. Apr. 27

3 to 5 weeks shipping time is normal, it leaves Germany quickly and then the delay comes with the customs clearance and local transportation in the country of destination
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    z3
    $430+ shipped and estimated delivery is Feb 23-March 10

Buying on eBay germany is no different than buying on eBay US, you have the same buyer protections, just stuff will take longer to get to you
    At that shipping cost I imagine its going through the post office, so it'll ship by boat. If it's urgent, buy it now if you can wait until the 10th to need it, or find one in the US

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Shipping thru German post office does not mean it goes by boat. For example I ordered some parts from Germany and they were shipped by air with DHL, German Post owns DHL.
    https://www.dhl.de/en/geschaeftskund...s-knowhow.html
    Calculation of volumetric weight: A shipment will be charged according to its volumetric weight, as soon as the dimensional weight exceeds the actual weight. Calculation of volumetric weight....

The problem is as mentioned before the time delay for customs clearance, then you will see for days or weeks in the tracking info just no movement

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    does schmiedmann, by comparison, ship much faster?
    googling gives mixed results since some say it's super quick but i'm not sure if those some are in america or europe

GN92489

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530d
    If you need any help translating or contacting the seller, let me know.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    does schmiedmann, by comparison, ship much faster?
    they ship ex their warehouse as fast as any other online shop, but as they are located in Denmark = EU, it takes longer to arrive at the enduser front door, that is logical. Shipping from their warehouse to local airport for export, export customs procedure handling time, flying time to country / continent of destination, customs clearance at airport of destination, then add the time for local transport within that continent, plus the local delivery time.
    So it is understandable, that it takes longer from continent to continent instead of shipping within 1 country without border lines, there are many steps in between where the shipper has no influence on handling speed, like customs clearance in country of destination.
    One example: I shipped 2 months ago a small package to someone in the US. I could trace it online and it had left Japan within 2 days, and then nothing moved on the tracking info, always saying in transit. It took 14 days till something moved again in the notice, probable causes copied from Fedex
    Item has shipped from originating country and is en route to its destination. General explanation:
    1.Your package has been handed over to the carrier.
    2.Your package has been dispatched or departed from its country of origin.
    3.Your package has arrived its destination country and pending customs inspection.
    4.Your package has arrived its destination country and during domestic transportation.
    5.Your package is under another transportation period. For instance, it's in another country as a transit point and will be forwarded from there to its final destination country.

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    Chris chimes in willing to help, maybe He/she could buy it and fedex it? I’m sure you could fedex money to Germany quickly.
    1987 325e, coupe, 5speed
    1989 325i, sedan, 5speed

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    FedEx is VERY expensive, cheapest is usually Deutsche Post = DHL, I use this for calculation and checking http://www.posttip.de/ , I select weight and size, country of destination and then it shows all possibilities, just 1 example, 10 box
    DHL Paket International EURO 48.99
    FedEx 3-4 days EURO 190.00
    FedEx 1 day EURO 287.50
    Tomba Express 2 days only EURO 83.38, 6 days EURO 60.00
    http://www.posttip.de/pakete/paketrechner/

But usually the sellers use their favorite shipping company and one cannot insist on one.
    For example with DHL = Deutsche Post the seller would have to drive to a Paket Shop, whereas other services pick it up at the seller.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    oh shoot, almost bought this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anh%C3%A4ng...19.m1438.l2649

before realizing the bumper supports don't seem to be included in the listing

e39 tow bar.jpg

just sent the seller asking about it. Hopefully it does....because i don't see any other tow bar listings that have explicit united states shipping information. all the others say "This item will ship to United States, but the seller has not specified shipping options. Contact the seller- opens in a new window or tab and request a shipping method to your location."

GN92489

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Last edited by shogun; 02-15-2018 at 11:24 PM.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    i'm specifically going for the bosal/westfalia hitch design because tesla actually makes a bosal-type hitch which accepts normal american 2" receivers, so later on i can use hitch accessories

tesla bosal trailer hitch.jpg

all the newer towbar designs don't use that
    Last edited by joekitch; 02-15-2018 at 11:44 PM.

GN92489

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530d
    Regular DHL offers shipping up to 31,5kg so I'm not sure if this is even a sensible option.
    I don't think it makes sense - both financially and timewise - do ship this to someone in Germany (e.g. me) first and then to the US.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    just checked, yeah the default rear bumper carrier supports won't work, they look totally different

e39 touring rear bumper carrier.jpg

GN92489