Thread: 1995 Turbo M3 Fuel Tank Pressurizing

My Cars
    1995 M3 Turbo 1997 M3

1995 Turbo M3 Fuel Tank Pressurizing

I am currently having a issue with my fuel tank pressurizing, when filling up at times it will take several attempts. At idle fuel will push out power connectors on fuel pump and sending unit. I want to know how the system is supposed to relieve this pressure so I can track it down. Only modifications to fuel system are bigger injectors and a 485 Walbro pump. Any help is much appreciated. If this is a noob question dont make fun of me too too much.
    1995 M3 Alpine on Dove
    AA Turbo manifold HX40 T3 CES 3" Piping Mishimoto R Line intercooler Turbosmart Ultragate & Raceport BOV CES Cutring 115# RK Tune E85 Aeromotive FPR Walboro 485 DKM Twin Disc Innovate SCG-1 & ECB-1 Porsche BBK FitmentLab Overfenders Hamann PG1's

1997 M3 Estoril on Rain
    AC Schnitzer Type 1's Bilstein PSS9's Turner: Monoball camber plates, rear camber arms, front & rear sway bars w/ reinforcements Supersprint Long Tubes
    AP Racing BBK

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SourDeezBurnr View Post
    I am currently having a issue with my fuel tank pressurizing, when filling up at times it will take several attempts. At idle fuel will push out power connectors on fuel pump and sending unit. I want to know how the system is supposed to relieve this pressure so I can track it down. Only modifications to fuel system are bigger injectors and a 485 Walbro pump. Any help is much appreciated. If this is a noob question dont make fun of me too too much.
    It sounds like your charcoal canister or line might be clogged or you might have boost going into the tank through it. The fumes are supposed to vent to it and get released into the intake when the solenoid gets a signal from the ecu.

You could route it somewhere else where it gets vacuum instead of boost or vent to atmosphere if you don't care about the gas fumes.
    Last edited by hotdish; 02-11-2018 at 02:47 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Turbo 1997 M3
    So I assume the charcoal canister draws vacuum through a port that get pressurized under boost. Would your recommendation to be reroute pre turbo? As stated this happens at both idle and under load
    1995 M3 Alpine on Dove
    AA Turbo manifold HX40 T3 CES 3" Piping Mishimoto R Line intercooler Turbosmart Ultragate & Raceport BOV CES Cutring 115# RK Tune E85 Aeromotive FPR Walboro 485 DKM Twin Disc Innovate SCG-1 & ECB-1 Porsche BBK FitmentLab Overfenders Hamann PG1's

1997 M3 Estoril on Rain
    AC Schnitzer Type 1's Bilstein PSS9's Turner: Monoball camber plates, rear camber arms, front & rear sway bars w/ reinforcements Supersprint Long Tubes
    AP Racing BBK

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Check valve in vacuum line from tank to intake manifold. I think it’s the line off the manifol that goes to the blue plastic line next to and below the manifold plenum.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 02-11-2018 at 04:12 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    My walbro pump did the same - pressurizing the electrical wiring to the point that fuel was literally traveling inside the wire insulation and out of the tank. I made a video and sent to Eric at rallyroad and he was like WHAT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2i5TdRGNRM

After this I followed another members suggestion and drilled the pump housing to put 2 nut and bolts through it with the wiring going to eyelet connectors on inside and outside of tank. That took care of the leaking problem. But I also have a fuel smell still.

Pbonsalb are you refering to the purge valve underneath the ABS module area? Right now mine is plugged in and connected to the blue line to tank but the other side of that purge valve is not connected to anything. I'm going to try leaving it unplugged for now. But I have zero fuel fill problems.
    Last edited by SCapelo; 02-12-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    97 Turbo 3.2L M3 - Cutring / ARP - RSI Top Mount - Gt4088r - ID1300 - Tial WG - 22RPD Tuned - 93 Octane - 3.5" Stainless

My Cars
    86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by SCapelo View Post
    My walbro pump did the same - pressurizing the electrical wiring to the point that fuel was literally traveling inside the wire insulation and out of the tank. I made a video and sent to Eric at rallyroad and he was like WHAT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2i5TdRGNRM

After this I followed another members suggestion and drilled the pump housing to put 2 nut and bolts through it with the wiring going to eyelet connectors on inside and outside of tank. That took care of the leaking problem. But I also have a fuel smell still.

Pbonsalb are you refering to the purge valve underneath the ABS module area? Right now mine is plugged in and connected to the blue line to tank but the other side of that purge valve is not connected to anything. I'm going to try leaving it unplugged for now. But I have zero fuel fill problems.
    Wowza, that doesn't make the least bit of sense.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    1995 M3 Turbo 1997 M3
    Do you know where I can find this write up? that the exact issue I am having, seeing that you have the pump exposed the is no tank pressure. Pooling gas is less than ideal on a car 2" off the round
    1995 M3 Alpine on Dove

1997 M3 Estoril on Rain
    AP Racing BBK