Thread: Anybody have an OEM in car phone & still working?

My Cars
    1994 840CI & 1995 Rx-7

Anybody have an OEM in car phone & still working?

Just wondering.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    I thought they would be analog and no longer be able to access any network.

My Cars
    1994 840CI & 1995 Rx-7
    Just wondering if somebody made an adaptive device that would allow a person to still be able to use the in car phone.

its a pretty cool accessory & it would be neat to see one in working condition.

jcs1966 is offline SoCal Eights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1994 BMW 840ci
    Frequency and communication method is totally different. The best you could do is wire power to it so it looks like it works.
    Jeremy Smith
    94 840Ci
    98 Porsche 986
    02 Mini Cooper
    13 Ford F150 Platinum

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci
    What's the point of having it since you will be only able to use it if you are parked. Or used by the passenger.
    Unless it is hands free, it would be a few hundred dollar ticket

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    No possible with US-spec car phones as analog networks were dismantled in February 2008. The European ones still work since they are GSM, but the frequency band is not the same as US networks, so buying one and installing it still would not work. I looked into making this work several times. The only way would be to transplant some digital hardware into the old handsets, or built some kind of signal converter system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterJam View Post
    What's the point of having it since you will be only able to use it if you are parked. Or used by the passenger.
    Unless it is hands free, it would be a few hundred dollar ticket
    It is hands-free, and voice activated.

Plus, the GSM ones can used a duplicated SIM so your car phone would be used while you're driving, and your regular phone would be used normally.

My Cars
    00 E38 750IL 92 E31 850
    I actually still have mine......just like it came from the factory.....powers up just fine.
    92 Dinan Stage III 850 Twin Turbo (1 of 4)
    625 Hp on 93 pump gas @ 14 psi 660 ft lbs torque

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    I fed mine to the trash can.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    ive seen a few that turned on, but as others have said, thats about as much as you will ever get in north america.

The only way to ever make it "functional" would be to completely rebuild the brain box into basically a modern cell phone using the inputs on the handset. not a task for the average DIY'er.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    The European ones still work since they are GSM.
    That's right, but there are some limitations and it looks like the end may be near for the European BMW car phones as well...

Unlike modern multi-band mobile phones, the BMW GSM supports only the original 900 MHz 2G band (P-GSM). Luckily most Western European telecommunications operators have multi-band networks including the 900 MHz 2G band so that's not much of an issue. At least not up until recently... Over the past year telecommunications operators in the Netherlands upgraded the 900 MHz 2G network to 3G to improve the mobile Internet coverage (which up until then used higher frequencies which have less range than lower frequencies). Sadly old GSM phones, like the BMW GSM, are not compatible with these network changes. So even though the 900 MHz network is still there, the BMW car phone is unable to connect to it. At this moment I'm not aware of other European countries dumping 2G on the 900 MHz band, but it's probably just a matter of time... That's a bit of a bummer because even though it's 20-year-old technology, it still worked like a treat.

My Cars
    2 x 850csi , E93 320ia
    Mine still works , that said I have problems finding a SIM card it will accept.
    Only older sim cards work in mine , and I cant get hold of them anymore in Norway at least

I know the phone works as my friend have an 4 year old card in his phone we tested and worked fine

Would love to get hold of a working card :-)

Regards
    Terje

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by huldra66 View Post
    Mine still works , that said I have problems finding a SIM card it will accept.
    Only older sim cards work in mine , and I cant get hold of them anymore in Norway at least
    Strange because SIM cards are supposed to be backwards compatible. Here in Belgium the BMW GSM works with SIM cards from all major telecommunications operators. In fact, I replaced the SIM card in my BMW GSM just last weekend with a brand new one and it's working just fine.

My Cars
    1986 e30 & 1991 850i
    Have one car phone in. With out the cord have no clue if it works.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    Strange because SIM cards are supposed to be backwards compatible. Here in Belgium the BMW GSM works with SIM cards from all major telecommunications operators. In fact, I replaced the SIM card in my BMW GSM just last weekend with a brand new one and it's working just fine.
    I know some guys here had problems with new SIM cards in the newer version phone (with positive display) or visa versa. Something to do with older 5v vs newer 3v SIMcards. On the older systems also only the reader in the S/E module worked, but not the one in the ejectbox.

And as you found out this week, yes, our 900MHZ 2g doesn't work anymore and it break my heart. It was the single coolest option in my car.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    850i, 540i sc, 528iT
    Anyone have a phone for sale - Euro GSM spec?
    Craig

1991 BMW 850i Diamond Schwarz / Silbergrau Hell Nappa
    1998 BMW 540i (Supercharged) Arctic Silver / Schwarz Nappa
    1999 BMW 528i Touring Titan Silver / Schwarz leather
    1995 BMW 328i Cabriolet Schwarz / Silbergrau Hell leather

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    I know some guys here had problems with new SIM cards in the newer version phone (with positive display) or visa versa. Something to do with older 5v vs newer 3v SIMcards. On the older systems also only the reader in the S/E module worked, but not the one in the ejectbox.
    The old GSM systems in our cars are all 5 V whereas modern cell phones operate at voltages as low as 1.8 V. But once again, that should not be an issue because SIM cards are supposed to be backwards compatible. Old 5 V SIM cards will not work in modern mobile phones, but new cards should work with all previous systems. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

There are three operating voltages for SIM cards: 5 V, 3 V and 1.8 V (ISO/IEC 7816-3 classes A, B and C, respectively). The operating voltage of the majority of SIM cards launched before 1998 was 5 V. SIM cards produced subsequently are compatible with 3 V and 5 V. Modern cards support 5 V, 3 V and 1.8 V.

Anyway, I've read similar claims (SIM not working) over at 8er.org. Maybe some telecommunications operators cheap out and provide SIM cards that do not comply to the standards, or maybe the users were not aware the operator must exploit a 900 MHz P-GSM 2G network in order for the BMW GSM to work (not all do)... If the BMW GSM asks to enter the PIN code you can be sure the SIM card works fine. If you still can't make or receive calls after that, the most likely cause is the operator not having a 900 MHz P-GSM 2G network. Over the years I've used quite a few (Belgian) SIM cards in the BMW GSM and I have yet to come along a SIM card that doesn't work.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 850 CSI
    Looking for an OEM phone for my 850 CSI. Can anyone help me out?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 850CSi
    I have opened a thread to check interest in OEM BMW car phone modified to work with todays networks:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...odays-networks

My Cars
    '97 850 M73 / '90 750il
    My phones fires right up lights up all the lights as it did when it was new ......... But that's ALL it does is fire up, its nothing more than a toy to play with !!

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Now a days it's really just a talking point. When I bring it to shows, people are most surprised at the phone (the v12 comes in second). When I first got the car and I turned on the phone, James Earl Jones would come on and say "Welcome to Bell South". I never hooked it up, but it was cool. That along with the computerized weather band (which is now off as well), I used to tell people the car was so fancy they got Darth Vader to do the phone voice and Stephen Hawking to do the weather.
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    They still work, in some EU countries. Not in mine anymore, but in Germany (and I guess Belgium as well, as Revtor told his one works in Belgium).

If not, it still beats it for period "Miami Vice" coolness over an ashtray or cupholder.

- - - Updated - - -

They still work, in some EU countries. Not in mine anymore, but in Germany (and I guess Belgium as well, as Revtor told his one works in Belgium).

If not, it still beats it for period "Miami Vice" coolness over an ashtray or cupholder.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/