Thread: Registering an out of state supercharged e36

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is

Registering an out of state supercharged e36

Thinking about buying a 1997 e36 m3 with an active aurowerks supercharger. Problem is that the car is registered in arizona and i live in san diego, ca. What hoops do i have to jump through to be able to get this car "legal" and on the road?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    It will be very difficult. Look up CARB. My recommendation is not to buy the car. There are some illegal endruns but I’ll let you figure out that.

Only Dinan and MechTech got CARB exemption for forced induction E36.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    It will be very difficult. Look up CARB. My recommendation is not to buy the car. There are some illegal endruns but I’ll let you figure out that.

Only Dinan and MechTech got CARB exemption for forced induction E36.
    How much work would it be to remove that supercharger for a short time to get it smogged then reinstall it?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    After you do it a few times you get faster, but it’s not just the supercharger; it’s the injectors, hfm and hfm harness and ECU. To me it would be a pain in the rear, but you can install a centrifugal in a day, so maybe 2 days to remove and then reinstall. I would not do it.

In CA, I would just buy a car that is fast enough to begin with, add an easily reversible tune, and maybe a few easily reversible bolt on mods. Or look for a Dinan E36 kit. Member Braymond141 sells refurbished ones with CARB sticker.

How about a 135i or 335i? With a $500 JB4, it will outrun most supercharged E36M3. Or an E46M3? Dinan sold CARB exempt supercharger kits for them as well.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    After you do it a few times you get faster, but it’s not just the supercharger; it’s the injectors, hfm and hfm harness and ECU. To me it would be a pain in the rear, but you can install a centrifugal in a day, so maybe 2 days to remove and then reinstall. I would not do it.

In CA, I would just buy a car that is fast enough to begin with, add an easily reversible tune, and maybe a few easily reversible bolt on mods. Or look for a Dinan E36 kit. Member Braymond141 sells refurbished ones with CARB sticker.

How about a 135i or 335i? With a $500 JB4, it will outrun most supercharged E36M3. Or an E46M3? Dinan sold CARB exempt supercharger kits for them as well.
    Looks like im going to have to wait for a Dinan e36 to pop up in the market then. I know i can get faster/ better cars for around the same price, it's just that the e36 has a special place in my heart. I've already owned 2 and i can't see myself driving anything else. Thanks for all the input btw, you've been super helpful.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    No CARB EO = no pass . It'll be considered a 'tampered' system with no $$ limit to restore to legal. And, if you happened to acquire the 'gross polluter' medal then that adds another hurdle.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    If the car can pass a sniffer test, you can take the car to one of two approved CARB approved labs in the state, and get it dyno tested. If it passes and meets same model year emissions requirements, you get a certificate of conformance, and a sticker to put on your door jam. Same process as importing a grey market vehicle.

Minimum price would be $5,000 though, so obviously not worth it vs. just getting a Dinan equipped car.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 02-13-2018 at 01:04 PM.

My Cars
    E36
    Do you have family out of state? Could they register it? I'm guessing that's a grey area... (my trailer is plated in MI under my dad as they have one time permanent trailer plates)...but he did buy it 'for' me.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan8925 View Post
    Thinking about buying a 1997 e36 m3 with an active aurowerks supercharger. Problem is that the car is registered in arizona and i live in san diego, ca. What hoops do i have to jump through to be able to get this car "legal" and on the road?

I was looking at the same car (Not too many sedan reg in AZ in a rare color on the market). IMO, not worth the trouble considering the the asking price.
    Ray