Thread: New to BMW - 2010 328ix Touring E91

My Cars
    '10 328xit, '99 Corvette

New to BMW - 2010 328ix Touring E91

I picked up a 2010 328xi wagon E91 today. This is my first BMW, although there are a couple in the family (father has 2007 650i and sister has a Z4). Not new to cars - have had sports/sporty cars over the years, as well as more utility-types - '75 280z, a couple of Acura Integras and a 3.0CL, a Lincoln Mark VIII, Subarus - Outback and Baja, a Jeep Cherokee, and my forever car, a '99 Corvette convertible (yes, it's red). But my Subaru Baja is now a 15-year old car. I had retired it a couple of years ago and was DDing a 2013 Toyota Venza but my wife changed jobs and had to give up her company car so she now drives the Venza (which I do really like but I bought it figuring that it would become hers at some point). The Baja is a versatile utility vehicle and I am keeping it as my winter weather driver/backup/utility vehicle.

Anyway, I toyed with the idea of a 535ix wagon but the engine/turbo issues were too much to ignore so I went with the tried-and-true 3-series wagon. A BMW expert friend of mine went with me to look it over and it passed his test, drove well, and was really clean for an 8 year old, 119K miles car. I have dogs that I take many places with me so the wagon is the best combination of fun and utility.

So, I'm here to learn. Educate me.

RedCarsRFaster (but I plan to find about Gray cars, too)

My Cars

My Cars
    2008 328xi Sportwagon
    Excellent choice! I drive a 2008 E91 328xi wagon with not only X-drive, but with a six-speed manual transmission. Those are really hard to find.

Mine has 120K miles and has been absolutely trouble-free in the two years since I bought it. I've replaced front rotors and pads, and aside from that I've done oil/filter changes and driven it.

Wonderful car, and it drives and handles like my wife's 09 328ix coupe! I also play electric bass, and the wagon is a blast to drive while also having room for musical amps, basses and gear.

I don't know why so many people are stuck on crossovers. The BMW 3-series wagon is an example of great vehicle that people overlook.

Here's a shot of mine - it has E36 wheels with snow tires in this photo.

Last edited by Pilgrim; 02-27-2018 at 01:16 PM.

My Cars
    '10 328xit, '99 Corvette
    I changed the oil this weekend and it is an oily mess down at the pan/plug. It has 120,000 miles so I need to have it looked at for possible oil pan leak, or valve cover leak, and oil filter housing. This appears to be a common problem for many BMWs and I was aware it might be an issue. I need to poke around regarding the specific gaskets that are recommended, the ones likely to last the longest. I also need to find a shop that knows what it is doing but is reasonably-priced (going nowhere near the BMW dealership).

RedCarsRFaster

My Cars
    '10 328xit, '99 Corvette

Ooh, shiny!

The lug bolts on the 2010 328xi Touring I picked up recently had done their duty and deserved to be retired (i.e., they were totally beat up). I poked around the Interweb and kept coming back to titanium lug bolts, which just looked so fine and so much better than black-coated steel that would be dull looking again so very soon. But the price!

But Acer Racing seemed to have the best price on some high-quality bolts so I closed my eyes and hit the "Complete Order" button. No, not gonna say how much - my wife might be monitoring my communications and she and I have an unspoken agreement regarding car parts . . . basically she doesn't ask and I don't tell.

Anyway, put them on tonight and they do look mighty sweet. Wheels need some serious cleaning, which I am saving for Spring break (teacher).
    Lug Bolts small.jpgLug Bolts Installed Small 02.jpgLug Bolts Installed Small.jpg

My Cars
    540it,E36 & E30 Touring
    Great cars I'm new to the E91 family as well but not to BMW's

I had an oil change done after I purchased the car while the airbag issue (recall) was taken care off.

Congrats on the ride. I love mine.

My Cars
    '10 328xit, '99 Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by cbouchez View Post
    Great cars I'm new to the E91 family as well but not to BMW's

I had an oil change done after I purchased the car while the airbag issue (recall) was taken care off.

Congrats on the ride. I love mine.
    And congrats to you, too! Maintenance and mod stuff is starting to pile up for me. It gets brakes all around this weekend, giving me a chance to use my new Quickjack that was delivered this afternoon and I will be setting up tonight. Then rear shocks next week (B4s) - the ones on it now are blown - along with stainless brake lines. Then spark plugs and coils and a new Valvetronic motor gasket next weekend or during Spring Break week (I'm a teacher) along with cleaning and painting the brake calipers. Front struts are not blown but need to be retired, so may tackle those during spring break or over the summer. Have to gear myself up for suspension work as I have very little experience there.

Living the dream with the ultimate driving machine!

RedCarsRFaster