Thread: missing some wires and relays,

My Cars
    93 325is m clone

missing some wires and relays,

recently bought my first bmw. 93 325is with a bunch of m3 interior. the kid i got it from was trying to wire tuck the engine bay and gave up. i believe all he cut was the dash and head light harness. so i replaced them, with a new (used) fuse box. i got it all in and all i think i am missing is the bigger power wire that bolts to the fuse box. where does that come from or go? i feel like it should be a jumper from the main power hitting the starter. as soon as i log on on my phone i will post a pic of my missing relays. thanks for so much as reading this.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    You can check here in the wiring diagrams by built year http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    As long as the battery, alternator, starter, and fuse box B+ feeds are all connected to each other somewhere, not necessarily in the same place, you're good to go.

In mine, I still have the terminal post thingy that sits in the engine bay right in front of the ECU compartment. I think some people call it the jump post. I just ran a separate heavy gauge B+ wire for each of the three (starter, alternator, fuse box) to that and connected them to the same post.

The line from the battery to the jump post has two conductors. One big one with the B+ for the starter. Another smaller one, maybe 14 gauge, that connects to a lower terminal on the jump post. That has a fuseable link inline somewhere, back by the battery I think, and it feeds B+ power to the ECU.

By mistake I connected the fuse box B+ to that lower terminal for the ECU feed. Then the car pulled so much current through the 14 gauge wire that the fuseable link did its job and de-linked. Took a while to figure out that one. When I hooked things up, I assumed all the different terminal posts on the jump post box were connected on one buss, but apparently that little one for the ECU feed is separate. BMW probably uses the battery to buffer the ECU voltage? Makes no difference to me because my BMW ECU is ancient history anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as the battery, alternator, starter, and fuse box B+ feeds are all connected to each other somewhere, not necessarily in the same place, you're good to go.

In mine, I still have the terminal post thingy that sits in the engine bay right in front of the ECU compartment. I think some people call it the jump post. I just ran a separate heavy gauge B+ wire for each of the three (starter, alternator, fuse box) to that and connected them to the same post.

The line from the battery to the jump post has two conductors. One big one with the B+ for the starter. Another smaller one, maybe 14 gauge, that connects to a lower terminal on the jump post. That has a fuseable link inline somewhere, back by the battery I think, and it feeds B+ power to the ECU.

By mistake I connected the fuse box B+ to that lower terminal for the ECU feed. Then the car pulled so much current through the 14 gauge wire that the fuseable link did its job and de-linked. Took a while to figure out that one. When I hooked things up, I assumed all the different terminal posts on the jump post box were connected on one buss, but apparently that little one for the ECU feed is separate.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
    ... I assumed all the different terminal posts on the jump post box were connected on one buss, but apparently that little one for the ECU feed is separate...
    I'll have to put a multi-meter to this and check for continuity when I get home but you're saying the posts with the red arrows are all common to one another and the posts with the green arrows are all common to one another but the red arrow posts are separated from the greens arrow posts (no continuity between red and green)?

Attached Images Attached Images