Thread: Run flat tires vs non-run flat tires Option

My Cars
    Lexus ES 300

Run flat tires vs non-run flat tires Option

I am planning to build 2018 X3.

Please advise your opinion on Run flat tires vs non-run flat tires.
    If I make a build order with NON run flat tires (default) option, there is no spare tires ($150) included.
    However, if I include the run flat tires option in the build, the system by default includes the spare tires ($150).

Which option - Run flat tires vs non-run flat tires, I can go with for the build. Should I select spare tires ($150) when I order the build.
    Last edited by smkuma; 02-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smkuma View Post
    I am planning to build 2018 X3.

Please advise your opinion on Run flat tires vs non-run flat tires.
    If I make a build order with NON run flat tires (default) option, there is no spare tires ($150) included.
    However, if I include the run flat tires option in the build, the system by default includes the spare tires ($150).

Which option - Run flat tires vs non-run flat tires, I can go with for the build.
    What suspension, Msport or standard? Do you mind a somewhat stiffer ride? Do you drive on roads with potholes?
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Lexus ES 300
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    What suspension, Msport or standard? Do you mind a somewhat stiffer ride? Do you drive on roads with potholes?
    It is a standard X3 Xdrive.... I do not like a stiffer ride... Normally I do not drive on roads with pot holes...

I had the run flats, and when they had 23k I changed to Pirelli pneumatic summer tires in Florida and Continental pneumatic DWS06 when those wore down and I was going to be in New England.
    The smoother ride is pronounced. Test drive back to back the run flats with regular for your own satisfaction. I will not bounce down the road on run flats again. If you have smooth roads, unlike New England back roads, it may not matter, but you will feel alot more road shake and vibration with the run flats is my experience.
    I keep a large can of fix a flat and a 12v tire compressor in the back. Where I live, it's easy to get road side assistance, and Uber can take me home if my car needs a new tire at the shop, so I can pull over and leave it, then pick it up when fixed.
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    my issue with run-flat tires is the roads and the locations and seasons that I drive on a regular basis
    - runflats can be run flat at max 50 mph for a maximum time of ????? - I want to say 1 hour but it might be more
    - runflats can be easily damaged when run flat so that a tire shop cannot repair the flat
    - X3's have a sensitive x-drive system that works best when all 4 tires have the same depth and style of tread
    - hence, replacing a runflat tire means buying 4 new runflat tires
    - I drive on highways between provinces where there is a distance of 400-600 miles between major centres that would carry run-flats in stock at a reasonable price.
    - if I had a vehicle with runflat tires I would have 5 tires/wheels and rotate the five regularly to keep them all about even tread depth.

If I am packing around a spare (5th tire/wheel) then why bother with the extra cost of runflats. Also I drive where it is winter 6 months of the year and a summer or allseason runflat will just not cut it for the snow season.... and I like to have a little tire sidewall to provide some cushion so a conventional tire is preferred over a low profile runflat on a larger diameter wheel

... all that added up says I will stick with good quality conventional tires and avoid runflat tires all together.
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

Quote Originally Posted by my1stE30 View Post
    my issue with run-flat tires is the roads and the locations and seasons that I drive on a regular basis
    - runflats can be run flat at max 50 mph for a maximum time of ????? - I want to say 1 hour but it might be more
    - runflats can be easily damaged when run flat so that a tire shop cannot repair the flat
    - X3's have a sensitive x-drive system that works best when all 4 tires have the same depth and style of tread
    - hence, replacing a runflat tire means buying 4 new runflat tires
    - I drive on highways between provinces where there is a distance of 400-600 miles between major centres that would carry run-flats in stock at a reasonable price.
    - if I had a vehicle with runflat tires I would have 5 tires/wheels and rotate the five regularly to keep them all about even tread depth.

If I am packing around a spare (5th tire/wheel) then why bother with the extra cost of runflats. Also I drive where it is winter 6 months of the year and a summer or allseason runflat will just not cut it for the snow season.... and I like to have a little tire sidewall to provide some cushion so a conventional tire is preferred over a low profile runflat on a larger diameter wheel

... all that added up says I will stick with good quality conventional tires and avoid runflat tires all together.
    And what he said too.
    Using Tapatalk