Thread: Should I buy a 2006 Z4M Roadster with 100k miles?

My Cars
    BMW Z4 M

Should I buy a 2006 Z4M Roadster with 100k miles?

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and wanted to get some guidance based on everyone's experience with a Z4M roadster. I'm hesitant on buying this car mainly because of potential maintenance costs and I'm not sure exactly what to look for when driving the car.

What are some of the common problems you have seen your Z4M with high mileage?

The car I'm looking at shows service records on CarFax at a BMW dealer, including maintenance inspection for fluids, electrical systems, emissions, and antifreeze/coolant inspection. Records also show correct oil change intervals at the dealership and brake fluid flush and coolant flush.

Should I consider this car? What are maintenance costs like on these cars? I'm planning on doing the oil changes and what ever maintenance I can by myself (mainly looking it up online).

Also, one other thing to consider is that this car is 5 states down and will have a friend check it out for me as far as test driving. But the dealer has great reviews (5 stars) on every site I have been, so I was thinking of simply buying it over the phone and mail in the paperwork for the car and get it shipped to me.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If at 100k miles, and no service record of cooling system refresh,
    Then a complete refresh of cooling system components is in your immediate future.
    Maintenance is not a major concern, unless you are not a DIY type when it comes to service.
    Have your friend pay particular attention to soft top operation, as motor problems are common.
    Also a valve/lifter adjustment is required on M-engines every 15k or 30k miles, if I recall correctly.
    I don't feel a 100k mile z4m is high maintenance,they just require a hands-on, special needs type of care.

My Cars
    BMW Z4 M
    Thank you for the reply!

Update: my friend checked it out. He said the car is in a great condition both outside and engine wise. The dealership did a BMW 120 point inspection on the car aswell and the car runs good. The engine idles really well and sounds great.

One thing he brought up is that the clutch had not been replaced, but when he drove it the clutch seemed good. I will ask the dealer if the cooling system refresh has been done or not and if he has records for valve adjustment.

The soft top was working fine, he didn't see any fault on that. Do you know usually when the clutch goes out on these cars?
    Last edited by theonenew; 02-10-2018 at 03:20 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Clutch replacement totally dependent on wear,
    based on the skill of the driver.
    Improper shifting techniques=early failure due to wear.
    Proper shifting techniques=long replacement intervals,
    100~200k miles or more!

My Cars
    BMW Z4 M
    Awesome! I think I’m going to buy it. Thanks so much!!

Last edited by theonenew; 02-11-2018 at 01:09 AM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Well... Did you get it home yet?