RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Re-register an older battery

My Cars
    2011 F01

Re-register an older battery

I've got a 2011 F01 on its third battery replacement. This battery is a 2.5 yo factory AGM and already showing signs of a dying battery. I know registering the battery is required, because the system looks at the age of the battery and gradually reduces the charge amount.

What if I re-registered the 2.5 year old battery? Would it extend the life of the battery? If it doesn't, I'll just change out the battery anyway. Has anybody done this before? Are there any negatives that will happen if I do try it?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I believe that would be counter-productive. While the charging strategy for a new battery is certainly different from that for an aging battery, I think your understanding is incorrect.

The basic problem is that BMW trained the DME to save fuel, even at the cost of killing batteries.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ns-bmw-n63-v8/

At least you're not needing one every oil change........

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 525it
    To late

My Cars
    2011 F01
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I believe that would be counter-productive. While the charging strategy for a new battery is certainly different from that for an aging battery, I think your understanding is incorrect.

The basic problem is that BMW trained the DME to save fuel, even at the cost of killing batteries.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ns-bmw-n63-v8/

At least you're not needing one every oil change........

Thanks for the info and link. However, I have not read or seen a reason not to try the method. Is there any harm in doing a re-register? In any case, the battery will be replaced if it doesn't work. Is it just the case that you have to "tow the BMW line" and give me the official BMW response?

Does any one else have any input on this question?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    ... Is it just the case that you have to "tow the BMW line" and give me the official BMW response?

Does any one else have any input on this question?
    My input is that BMWDirtracer doesn't need to tow any lines. He's not a representative of BMW NA either way. He is an asset to the forum and a straight shooter. IOW, he speaks what he believes.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2011 F01
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    My input is that BMWDirtracer doesn't need to tow any lines. He's not a representative of BMW NA either way. He is an asset to the forum and a straight shooter. IOW, he speaks what he believes.
    Thanks for the response. I withdraw my comment.

I still would like hear anybody else's thoughts on the matter. Thanks, again.

Rapier

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Yup. The only lines he toes are on the racetrack!

i dont think playing with battery registration will help or hurt that much.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    I'll give you my opinion. If you Don't listen to Chris (bmwdirtracer) you will end up wasting your time and money. I learnt the hard way.
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    A new battery gets charged LESS than a used battery, because the new battery is more efficient at holding a charge. That's why I said that I believe re-registering an old battery would be counter-productive - it's just going to die faster.

Here, from "Bimmertips"....also, not a factory resource:

What does registering the new BMW battery do?

As your battery ages and loses charging capacity, the car adjusts how much it needs to recharge it to operate at an optimal level. The older the battery the more charge is required. Putting a new battery in your BMW and registering your battery tells your car that a new battery is installed. As a result, the car will not overcharge the new battery thinking the old one is still in there. Registering the battery also resets battery statistics based off your old batteries temperatures and behaviors wiping the slate clean.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    TOE (as in those things on your feet) the line boys, not tow.
    Regarding battery registration. If using a second hand battery do not register?
    Such complications for such a simple device, ridiculous if you ask me.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2011 F01
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    A new battery gets charged LESS than a used battery, because the new battery is more efficient at holding a charge. That's why I said that I believe re-registering an old battery would be counter-productive - it's just going to die faster.

Here, from "Bimmertips"....also, not a factory resource:

What does registering the new BMW battery do?

As your battery ages and loses charging capacity, the car adjusts how much it needs to recharge it to operate at an optimal level. The older the battery the more charge is required. Putting a new battery in your BMW and registering your battery tells your car that a new battery is installed. As a result, the car will not overcharge the new battery thinking the old one is still in there. Registering the battery also resets battery statistics based off your old batteries temperatures and behaviors wiping the slate clean.
    I re-registered the 2.5 yo battery and I've had nothing but positive results. My CTEK 4.3 trickle charger would take 2-4 hour to put a new charge on the old battery. Once re-registered and a few days of driving the car, the CTEK would top off the battery in a matter of minutes.
    Last edited by Rapier; 02-27-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling error

My Cars
    hiss by my window

I find it interesting that with all the technology applied to charging a stinking battery the system(apparently not even the shore diagnostics) cannot analyze a battery's condition and employ the appropriate charging strategy.
    All this to save how much fuel?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue