Thread: Has anyone figured out how to DYI fix the Sunroof Motor Cover?

My Cars
    1992 BMW E34 525i

Has anyone figured out how to DYI fix the Sunroof Motor Cover?

So recently my Sunroof Cover decided to spontaneously combust and it looks like it's missing a clip. I've tried searching for people that have fixed it, but I've only turned up results of people buying used ones from others. Has anyone found a DIY solution to keeping it in place without those plastic clips? I've thought about adhesive, but that's less than ideal because if I ever need to open it up.

Right now it can almost hold itself up, but since it's missing that clip, after a daily drive, it then falls off again.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    On an E46 forum I found this post: -Sunroof motor cover trim panel repair-

That sob breaks so easily. Seems every time I remove it I lose one or two of the tabs that hold it in. So today the last one broke, and it just falls. This method may not be for you, personally mine had no tabs left and was headed for the garbage can. However it is now seated very snugly and i am happy there isnt a hole in my roof.
    *To fix it- For this method you need one large paperclip, some hot glue* and some high temp silicone. I also used a rock to abraid the area the silicone will set on.
    **hot glue not completely necessary
    ***[Edit]***BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THE GLUE AND SILICONE- once it gets on any cloth it is NEVER coming off and will look terrible.

So at least for me the front of the piece would kind of click into place even without any tabs. The back or the edge facing the rear of the car would just fall, it needed something to hold it up. So spur of the moment I glued one paperclip to the very center of the rear edge of the piece with hot glue. Hot glue has failed in the heat so I'm using Red RTV silicone in its place. I still recommend trying it with hot glue first so you get the paper clip placement correct before letting silicone dry for 24 hours in the wrong position.

I left a bit over 1/4 of an inch of the paperclips wide side protruding over the rear edge, when I went to fit it into place I needed to give the paperclip a slight curve towards the roof of the car, but afterwards it went in perfectly, inserting the rear edge with the paperclip tab first then the front kind of popping into place.
    I chose hot glue first hoping it would do the job, but heat at the roof of the car takes its toll very quickly and you will find that panel hanging by the sunroof switch. High temp silicone seemed like a great substitute.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    I just used a screw on mine.
    demet

My Cars
    1992 BMW E34 525i
    Do you have any pictures? Where'd you insert the screw?

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Right in the middle where there is a empty hole in the sunroof motor. I can ask my daughter to take a pic of it. I tried velcro and the heat kept unsticking the tape.
    demet

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    On an E46 forum I found this post: -Sunroof motor cover trim panel repair-

That sob breaks so easily. Seems every time I remove it I lose one or two of the tabs that hold it in. So today the last one broke, and it just falls. This method may not be for you, personally mine had no tabs left and was headed for the garbage can. However it is now seated very snugly and i am happy there isnt a hole in my roof.
    *To fix it- For this method you need one large paperclip, some hot glue* and some high temp silicone. I also used a rock to abraid the area the silicone will set on.
    **hot glue not completely necessary
    ***[Edit]***BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THE GLUE AND SILICONE- once it gets on any cloth it is NEVER coming off and will look terrible.

So at least for me the front of the piece would kind of click into place even without any tabs. The back or the edge facing the rear of the car would just fall, it needed something to hold it up. So spur of the moment I glued one paperclip to the very center of the rear edge of the piece with hot glue. Hot glue has failed in the heat so I'm using Red RTV silicone in its place. I still recommend trying it with hot glue first so you get the paper clip placement correct before letting silicone dry for 24 hours in the wrong position.

I left a bit over 1/4 of an inch of the paperclips wide side protruding over the rear edge, when I went to fit it into place I needed to give the paperclip a slight curve towards the roof of the car, but afterwards it went in perfectly, inserting the rear edge with the paperclip tab first then the front kind of popping into place.
    I chose hot glue first hoping it would do the job, but heat at the roof of the car takes its toll very quickly and you will find that panel hanging by the sunroof switch. High temp silicone seemed like a great substitute.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-04-2019 at 01:23 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    How about small spring clips for recessed lights, glued on the back side of the cover?
    But the idea of demetk might be the easiest

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Attachment 582092I repaired one by gluing a couple of small Z shaped aluminum extrusions on to the back.
    Don't ask where to get the pieces, I don't know where they are from. I suspect they were some sort of window screen or door hardware. I had them laying around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    Right in the middle where there is a empty hole in the sunroof motor. I can ask my daughter to take a pic of it. I tried velcro and the heat kept unsticking the tape.
    Please post a pic. I was just asked by another E32 driver how to do, will later make a copy of this thread for the E32 forum.
    Any other successful repair pics and DIY info?

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    I just found an extra in the junk yard, snapped off the tabs and used epoxy to stick them to mine. If you still have your broken tabs a good epoxy will do the trick. Used the epoxy to stop the others from snapping off too.
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    adding a repair of sunroof motor cover clips from Japan, plenty of pics http://dd.jpn.org/BMW_HP/20140319/index.shtml

other comments on the E34 forum:

I bent some small clips out of piano wire and secured them with JB Weld. Believe me, that sucker ain't coming down unless I seriously want it to come down.

I use velcro with the adhesive backing. You have to make sure it sticks well on the motor side though.
    Last edited by shogun; 02-11-2018 at 03:08 AM.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Please post a pic. I was just asked by another E32 driver how to do, will later make a copy of this thread for the E32 forum.
    Any other successful repair pics and DIY info?
    My hack fix.

There is an unused hole in the sunroof motor to screw into.

At least it doesn't fall down anymore.

What kind of fabric do you guys use to recover the panel?
    demet

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Attachment 582092I repaired one by gluing a couple of small Z shaped aluminum extrusions on to the back.
    Don't ask where to get the pieces, I don't know where they are from. I suspect they were some sort of window screen or door hardware. I had them laying around.
    Okay, boys. I think this is what I had laying around, two small bits of this pseudo French cleat for picture hanging

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017J23FYO...a-351037103708
    $15 buys enough materials to fix at least a dozen covers.

I believe this to be the simplest solution, you don't even need to remove the fabric if you don't want to, just glue them on.
    These bits correctly placed will hang onto the edge of the headliner in front and the rear is supported by the map light which you'll need pop out before installing the panel.
    No support needed on the sides.
    It worked beautifully on one of mine. The only problem is handling the covering which usually has severely deteriorated backing so every touch leaves impressions.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    09/87 E32 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    You could just buy it.... Only silver grey is available.
    However, there are two different versions. One has those darn plastic tabs on all four sides, the other one is a bit larger and has the tabs only on three sides. My car has the smaller part and other one doesn't fit.

Both are still available. The earlier cars had the smaller part (51 44 8 114 569) and the later models had the larger part (51 44 8 126 472).

Edit: According to realoem.com and others it seems that the larger part is for the E34 and the smaller one for the E32. I bought the larger piece from an E32 expert in Germany and it would be a bit strange if he would send me an E34 part...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kce1900; 04-19-2018 at 10:10 PM.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    I bent some small clips out of piano wire and secured them with JB Weld. Believe me, that sucker ain't coming down unless I seriously want it to come down.

My Cars
    95' E34 M60B30
    thanks for this fix, mine has been broken for months and i was resigned to finding one at the junkyard

My Cars
    1995 530i
    I use velcro with the adhesive backing. You have to make sure it sticks well on the motor side though.

My Cars
    09/87 E32 750iL
    I have one for an E34 that I don't need since I don't have an E34 (part vendor sent me the wrong piece). Pictures are here. If you are interested, please send me a PM. $15 plus postage and it's yours. By the way, I will be at the Vintage in Asheville NC in two weeks from now, so I can also mail it from the US as well.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 750iL

Is the e34 cover the same?

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    How about small spring clips for recessed lights, glued on the back side of the cover?
    But the idea of demetk might be the easiest
    I was looking around, because like everyone else, my cover has split into a thousand tiny unusable pieces. Unfortunately I got the car this way, and I don't have the whole thing. I was looking on Ebay as everyone else does too, and saw the the e34 ones were more readily available and wondered how similar they were. Is there a chance they're the same, just without the cutout piece for the receiver bit?

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    for a year now I have just tucked the switch up into the headliner at the left edge of the opening in a way that allows me to just reach up and operate it.. not cosmetically satisfying but until it gets fixed that at least allows me to work it while driving and its not hanging next to my head.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper9562 View Post
    I was looking around, because like everyone else, my cover has split into a thousand tiny unusable pieces. Unfortunately I got the car this way, and I don't have the whole thing. I was looking on Ebay as everyone else does too, and saw the the e34 ones were more readily available and wondered how similar they were. Is there a chance they're the same, just without the cutout piece for the receiver bit?
    Different part numbers E34 and E32:

For the E32 there are/were
    51448114569 Cover sliding roof motor grey up to 09/1990 , Exchangeable retrospectively Old partnumber 51441949802
    51448114567 beige cover sliding roof motor

Above are most probably with the hole for the IR remote control receiver (switchblade)

after 09/1990 these part numbers
    51448140141cover sliding roof motor pergament, Exchangeable retrospectively Old partnumber 51448114567 cover sliding roof motor
    51448140140 silbergrau , cover sliding roof motor

Part numbers for E34 are different, the size is different (smaller) and not interchangeable between E34 and E32. Ask in the E32 classifieds section if someone has one for sale for your E32.
    You could also make a cover DIY from a piece of wood and cut into the right size, add clamps.

Pls add exact E32 model and built month / year to your profile, easier to help, this is not enough
    BMW e32
    Last edited by shogun; 12-04-2019 at 01:24 AM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 750iL
    To clarify, mine is a 1991 750il, which I'll add to my profile. I'll most probably be making my own cover, in the long run it'll laster longer anyways.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-06-2019 at 05:18 AM. Reason: unnecessary quote removed, pls use reply instead of reply with quote