Thread: Fixed Back Seat and Reclining Racing Seat set-ups.

My Cars
    98 328is

Fixed Back Seat and Reclining Racing Seat set-ups.

mostly want to make this thread so if anyone searches the google for the same combination they can get some info on whether or not it will work or what they will need to order. save them some time and maybe some headache.

Post your chassis, seat set-up, and note any adjustments you may have made.

Chassis: E36 coupe

Previous Set-up

• Ebay branded reclinable racing seat (purchased for $20 brand new with a universal slider from a local).
    • universal slider
    • planted drivers side bracket.

notes: this setup was fairly straight forward. mount sliders to seat, mount bracket to sliders, install. the planted bracket has the attached seatbelt point which almost touches the trans tunnel in the e36, so therfore you only have so much adjustment inboard because the seat will contact the seat belt attachment. this makes it pretty easy to get inboard adjustment done, just push the seat all the way over. the ebay seat sucks though in terms of quality. the bottom bolstering seems to be 3 pieces glued together so one piece is seperating under the fabric. Also the fabric is pulling away from the shoulder holes, and the mechanism that allows it to lean forward to access the rear stopped working. recently found out the mechanism came unbolted from the latch. its not the best, and i only paid $20 but it lasted me a season which is what i wanted. it was far better than the leather comfort OEM seat in terms of keeping me in my seat.

Failed setup

• Corbeau FX1 wide
    • universal slider
    • planted bracket

notes: the Corbeau seat is made for both side mounting OR bottom mounting. i took my universal slider and went to bolt it up to the seat, and it was 1/2" too short. i flipped it over and was able to attach it to the seat after i slotted the outer most hole. this would have made operation a little wonky, but whatever. Went to mount the bracket, and the mounts for the seat are too narrow. no amount of minor adjustments possible would have made up for the 1/2" outward i needed. basically the bottom mounts of the seat fall into the square cutout in the center of the planted bracket. So i will be ordering side mounts ASAP. still going to use the sliders though. i like being able to adjust the seat for other drivers.

note: this set-up failed. the planted bracket center cutout is where the bottom mounts of the corbeau seat are, and side mounts are to far out for the bracket. no amount of fidling and drilling and fitting made these work. i even cut off the seat belt attachment to get more wiggle room. in the end it may have been able to work out, but my last test fit had me at just higher than stock seat height. and that was no good for being on the lowest adjustment in the seat.

Currently in the works.

• Corbeau FX1 Wide
    • Planted Side Mounts
    • 1 1/2x1 16g rectangular tubing for custom brackets.

currently building my own brackets from rectangular tubing. 20" sections. drill the 5/8s hole on one side for the bolts, then drill a 1" window with a hole saw on the other side so the bolts.nuts can pass through and you can get a stocket on them. add washers to level them out. mount seat with 5/16s hardware. cut window in bracket so you can get a wrench on the 5/8s hardware on the back side of the seats. will report results.
    Last edited by RandomHero27; 03-09-2018 at 09:51 AM.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Chassis: E36 Convertible

Sparco Evo 3
    No Slider
    VAC Motorsports Bracket and Side Mounts

VAC brackets didn't fit exactly, so I had to cut a corner of them off (not sure if this is just a convertible thing, VAC seemed confused when I called and asked) for them to sit flush on the floor. Seat is very wide, the leg bolsters hit the trans tunnel (with no carpet), and the shoulder bolsters hit the door (with no door panel). The leg bolsters aren't a big deal, it kind of just rests on the trans tunnel, on the other hand the door would close into the seat which would make it move slightly. The door would still close fine and it wasn't that big of a deal but i banged the door a little with a hammer where it was touching and was able to make it so it doesn't touch anymore. Seat itself is super comfortable and big guy friendly, but it wasn't exactly the easiest seat to fit. The bracket, aside from the cutting, is high quality and allows a lot of adjustment, without such a wide seat this setup would be very easy to throw in and adding a slider is an easy process as well

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Chassis: E46 sedan

Late 2000's Cobra Daytona seats, they are reclinable, but I might take one apart and try to fix the slightly loose reclining mechanism. Paid $160 for the pair, made custom steel stock brackets to attach them to the electric sliding rails, becasue I couldn't rationalize spending $350 on rails and sliders instead of $10 on stock.

Seat is super comfortable, I'm 6'0, 175 lbs, and 34ish waist. Seats have decent bolstering and fit my needs until I pick up a bucket.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Chassis: E36 Coupe

Current Setup:
    Recaro Pro Racer SPG Hans version
    Massive Fixed bracket with Aluminum Side plates
    Racequip 5 point Latch and Link Harnesses Cage wrapped

pro_racer_hans.jpg

This seat is for the thin for sure. I am 5'10" and about 190lbs and I JUST fit. If I were to gain 10lbs I would be hard pressed to be comfortable in this seat. Needless to say once I am in the seat I am not going anywhere. For drifting the waist bolsters are a bit high. My elbows make contact every so often (I shuffle steer from the bottom of the wheel, not everyone does so you mileage may vary) I really like the Massive braket for how adjustable it is but due to how narrow this seat is I struggled to find the right layout to get the seat centered on the steering wheel. I ended up having to modify the bracket to get over far enough towards the trans tunnel for my liking. I didn't have this problem with my previous seat that was wider.

Previous setup:
    Recaro Pole position
    Massive seat Fixed seat bracket and side plates
    Racequip 5point latch and link style

This in my mind is the most comfortable seat on the market by far. It seemingly fits every body type. I have had so many of my friends sit in my setup and just marvel at how comfy it was. Plenty of leg room on the side bolsters and it still keeps you from moving around. I used to daily drive my car with a roll cage and harnesses with this seat and I never hesitated to drive the car long distances because of how amazingly comfortable this seat was. Now in the E36 paired with this seat the Massive bracket sits very low, so low in fact I had to go down to a 330mm steering wheel just so I could better see where I was going. For me it is right on the limit of proper viability, I like sitting low in the car so I didn't mind. If you are tall (6"+) this combo should be perfect but if you are shorter I would beware.

Photo of how low I sat in the car, Notice how much head room I have lol
    Last edited by Piner; 02-09-2018 at 02:59 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28

Setup:
    - Bimmerworld Billet floor mounts
    - Replica Bride Seat, Legit Momo Passenger Seat (expired fia)
    - Ebay side mount brackets

Notes:
    Able to adjust a lot forward and back, good amount side to side to get the seat centered. Sits LOW. I'm only 5'8" so I had to raise it up a good bit (I like seeing my hood a bit though)
    The seats are snug and hold me well but have some suede peeling on the bolsters, also the bottom pad that goes under your thighs always falls off when I get in/out. Need to get some industrial strength velcro for it.

instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Setup:

Driver:
    - Motion Motorsport Matrix floor mounts
    - OMP side mounts
    - Cobra Evolution pro-fit seat

Cobra evo.jpg

Notes: seat is very adjustable, but still a tight fit on my 36" waist, and 6'1" frame. shoulder bolsters are wide and are a tight fit with some cages. leg bolsters do not widen as they come forward, keeps legs together.

Passenger:
    - Planted Floor Mount
    - Planted side mounts
    - Corbeau FX1 Wide (mad old)

notes: front padding on seat always falls off, velcro'd it there, still always falls off. Planted floor mount and side mounts mount the seat way far forward, which looks ridiculous next to my way far back driver seat. I'll be switching to a motion Motorsport matrix style floor mount eventually.

My Cars
    98 328is
    updated. the planted bracket is such a headache with these wide seats.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Bump for more E46 racing seat combos