Thread: Need assistance with brakes*

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i

Need assistance with brakes*

Hey guys I've been really quiet busy lately, so I haven't been posting much.

So I recently completed a lot of work on my 540 list is long...

To make this easier, new front control arms/bearings. Now shocks all four
    New pads and rotors x4
    New braided hoses from ecs x6
    New brake fluid
    Rear subframe bushings done
    New inner and outer steering links

Pulls right under braking, pulled right beforehand as well.... Could this be an abs valve issue, good fluid out all four callipers

I'll give a full progress update after I install the rest of my shit

Thanks for the help fellas

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Are you sure this isn't a suspension issue? I see all you replaced but maybe something moving under braking.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325ix
    Alignment? I'm sure you've thought of that though

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    Calipers felt so/so going back in when I did the pads but it felt more like a lot of fluid to push less like sticky piston/seals.
    I cleaned the brackets and leveled them , but I didn't take the time to weld the somewhat minor divots that pads always wear, I simply leveled and smoothed. I always clean and grease the slides with brake silicone brake lube and pad contacts with copper anti-seize.

Okay to be fair I left out the fact that I have about 40-50Degrees of free play on center between the gearbox, pitman and column... I have not yet investigated whats allowing the free play in the wheel I mostly assumed it was the gearbox and haven't tried adjusting it a small amount yet. As a result I've been putting off the alignment, but I have it pretty damn straight right now. I need to get it aligned... especially with brand new tires on.s

My concern regarding the ABS is that my old e39 had a frozen valve that caused the exact same results minus good fluid flow to that caliper.
    Also I have an abs code for abs relay failure. I haven't tested the relay but I assume its dead, when I got the car it was intermittent as far as ABS light goes, now its constant on.

My Cars
    E34T
    If those degrees are accurate, I'd recommend you stop driving the car immediately except into a garage. Rather lose brakes than steering. Sounds like it's more than the steerbox. From top to bottom...
    - steering wheel splines
    - steering column collar nut (above the pedals)
    - steering column u-joint and splines
    - steerbox wormshaft lash (neither adjustable nor a common problem on these)
    - steerbox ball slop (inherent to steerboxes, not common to be severe)
    - steerbox sectorshaft lash (the main adjustment on the top)
    - pitman arm splines. I recently cured some bad slop just by tightening the pitman arm pinch bolt.
    - center link pitman arm joint (should pivot, rotate, but not move)
    - center link idler arm joint (should rotate only, not pivot or move)
    - idler arm bushing
    - tierods
    - upper balljoints
    - lower balljoints
    - and more!

I've never encountered a frozen ABS valve, but that seems plausible to cause low flow and no pressure, and result in pulling to one side. My understanding (uncertain) is that the valves open to relieve pressure. Depending on how it froze, it could bleed off enough to weaken that brake corner but not enough to be noticable while bleeding.
    Last edited by moroza; 02-16-2018 at 04:40 PM.

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    Honestly the steering is pretty good, I'm not uncomfortable with it, ever since I bought it there is a lot of free play, but the steering isn't sloppy it's crisp.

I'll try to adjust the lash, right to tighten correct? 1/6th of a turn at a time ? And I'll check the pitman bolt. I didn't detect any playing the idler or pitman when I checked with my crowbar/ hands

- - - Updated - - -

It mostly just looks like I'm driving in a movie from the 60s

My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyj View Post
    ...40-50Degrees of free play on center
    Honestly the steering is pretty good
    One of these things is not like the other. Acceptable free play is something like 2 degrees, not 40.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...eering_box.htm

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    Update more like 15 degrees of free play and maybe 5+ degrees of slack before the wheels turn. Got an alignment, helped a lot with the pull, but under hard breaking it locks up one tire first

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Update more like 15 degrees of free play and maybe 5+ degrees of slack before the wheels turn. Got an alignment, helped a lot with the pull, but under hard breaking it locks up one tire first
    Don't forget the possibility of air trapped somewhere making one, or more, corners weaker hence the remaining stronger.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    Yeah I was gonna try to bleed a third time, it's just the same feelings prior to the brake/suspension work. Also I can't cycle my abs because of the relay/possible valve

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Yeah I was gonna try to bleed a third time, it's just the same feelings prior to the brake/suspension work. Also I can't cycle my abs because of the relay/possible valve
    I was wondering about the lock up you mentioned. I have an ABS pump 34 51 1 160 006 (Bosch 0 265 201 032) I yanked off a wrecked (brake failure*)'94 eons ago that you are welcome to if you have need for it.
    How was the old brake fluid?
    * just kidding
    Last edited by ross1; 02-14-2018 at 01:34 PM.

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    The fluid looked ok coming out not too bad, definitely old though. I guess when I get a chance I'll try ordering an abs relay and bleeding. They're just kinda expensive ��