Thread: Pittsburgh, PA Indie - German Motor Werks, etc

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR

Pittsburgh, PA Indie - German Motor Werks, etc

Has anyone ever had their car serviced at German Motor Werks on Penn avenue near downtown Pittsburgh? I have a coolant leak and it's not from any of the hoses. I'm concerned its the valley pan not & so sure it's a head gasket (Temp isn't rising much), but I am adding ~ 1 pint of water or less each day.... & feel like I'm driving on borrowed time.

Any suggestions on local mechanics that could do the engine work if it's internal? (McB can't do the work, already had it there)

Thanks
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR

Western PA Indie?

Seriously? No one has heard of this place or can recommend another? or maybe afraid to comment on them?
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Have you tried Bill Ballon Automotive or Eurostrada on Saw Mill Blvd? I haven't been to either but I have heard of them.

I only take my car to McB as well. They just finished a manual swap for me over the winter. Good guys.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by WELSCH325i View Post
    Have you tried Bill Ballon Automotive or Eurostrada on Saw Mill Blvd? I haven't been to either but I have heard of them.

I only take my car to McB as well. They just finished a manual swap for me over the winter. Good guys.
    I balked on even trying Ballon bc I’ve heard that guy frowns on cars modified from stock which mine is.

German motor werks gave it a basic hose inspection but refused to dig deeper for this reason.

I ended up leaving it Pauls Motor car service on library road. I was glad they were willing to at least check it out, but was not impressed at all with the result. Again they just pressure tested and felt the cause was a slow leaking fitting which they supposedly fixed. But did not determine if the problem was anything further. A couple of days later i’m dealing with the same issue. Adding a pint of fluid daily.

I might give Eurostrada a call, but not getting my hopes up that they’ll be different than most others. Nows the time I wish I were back in Atl. I’m sure Harrison Motorsports could find and fix the problem without all this running around. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    I feel for you man. How come you couldn't get in McB? Are they that packed?

Also where is your coolant leaking from under the car? Did you think if the heater core could be bad?

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    I feel for you man. How come you couldn't get in McB? Are they that packed?

Also where is your coolant leaking from under the car? Did you think if the heater core could be bad?
    Mark, said they no longer had the tools to do heavy work needed (to replace head or valley pan gasket if needed)... says those tools were destroyed/damaged in a flood.

That's just it. I see no visible signs of leaking: nothing under the car; nothing pooled up or residue inside the engine compartment (plastic floor covers or areas where hoses are connected).
    Last edited by kahlilj; 03-06-2018 at 07:57 PM.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    Mark, said they no longer had the tools to do heavy work needed (to replace head or valley pan gasket if needed)... says those tools were destroyed/damaged in a flood.

That's just it. I see no visible signs of leaking: nothing under the car; nothing pooled up or residue inside the engine compartment (plastic floor covers or areas where hoses are connected).
    Yeah, they were flooded really bad around a year ago. I'm guessing he didn't mention any other tuning shops in the Pittsburgh area to go to? I'm searching a back up place just in case I need something done that McB can't do.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Yeah, they were flooded really bad around a year ago. I'm guessing he didn't mention any other tuning shops in the Pittsburgh area to go to? I'm searching a back up place just in case I need something done that McB can't do.
    No he didn't. In the recent past I have used Balzer motor werks. Nate does a good job, though limited in what he can do. I also would consider German motor werks, but again they wouldn't work on my car bc of the mods. I think either of them are good back ups. good luck

My Cars
    99 Dakar yellow M3
    I would also recommend taking a look at Balzer Motor works. Nate is a really good guy and knows his stuff. He's has worked on all of my cars, E30 M3, E36 M3 and my E46 M3. He is always very fair on his pricing and quick turnaround.
    Last edited by pghm3guy; 09-04-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Brian
    15 PassatTDI
    03 BMW M3 LSB
    99 BMW M3 Daker Yellow
    88 BMW M3
    94 Corrado SLC
    71 VW bug conv