Thread: Anyone going to SE Sharkfest?

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi

Anyone going to SE Sharkfest?

I know this is generally considered a 6 series event, but its open to all coupes, and they are hoping to have a good showing of 8ers. I plan on attending; so far only four 8ers are registered, but the rooms at the event hotel are selling out. It runs from 4/26/2018 to 4/29/2018, and its in Spartanburg this year.

http://www.bmwsharkfest.org/#/Southe...rkfest2018/e26

The west coast is always having their wrenchfests, it would be great to see some of us east coast owners get together.

Mike Barrett
    Last edited by mbarrett635; 02-07-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
    The west coast is always having their wrenchfests, it would be great to see some of us east coast owners get together.Mike Barrett
    That's because within a 50 mile radius there's a bunch of "8s" plus, it gets you two Saturdays a year away from the house! Hopefully someone will post pics from Saturday's event.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    BMWs:74 3.0 CS, 97 840Ci
    Mike, et al,

i have fairly recently returned to the BMW community (after being very active in the Porsche 928 community - another car referred to as a 'shark' - for the previous 17 years). I drove e3's and e9's from the early '70's through early 80's, then changed to primarily MB's. So I'm almost a 'newbie' - and I've got a lot to learn regarding the e9 and e31 communities!

Can you tell me a bit more about the Southeast Sharkfest? (e.g. what's on the daily agenda- or has been on them previously, about how many attend, etc.). I attended The Vintage in Asheville NC last year with my e31, and won't return this year (too disorganized regarding BMW models - I was interested in e31's (One other one there, John M's from GA), and 10-15 e9's from all over, including California (have one, but didn't drive it, the e9's were pretty much scattered amongst the Avogadro's Number of 4 cylinder models!). Anyway, I am interested in knowing more about this meet, as it is a possibility on my calendar. Might not be able to make all 4 days, however.

Gary
    West Chester, PA
    Last edited by Gary Knox; 02-08-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Gary Knox

'97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '07 Mini Cooper S hatchback
    '09 Aston Martin DB9 Volante
    '13 Audi A8
    '90 MB 560 SEC and '94 Porsche 928 GTS recently departed but long enjoyed
    50 or so others over the past 70 years of driving

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Knox View Post
    Mike, et al,

i have fairly recently returned to the BMW community (after being very active in the Porsche 928 community - another car referred to as a 'shark' - for the previous 17 years). I drove e3's and e9's from the early '70's through early 80's, then changed to primarily MB's. So I'm almost a 'newbie' - and I've got a lot to learn regarding the e9 and e31 communities!

Can you tell me a bit more about the Southeast Sharkfest? (e.g. what's on the daily agenda- or has been on them previously, about how many attend, etc.). I attended The Vintage in Asheville NC last year with my e31, and won't return this year (too disorganized regarding BMW models - I was interested in e31's (One other one there, John M's from GA), and 10-15 e9's from all over, including California (have one, but didn't drive it, the e9's were pretty much scattered amongst the Avogadro's Number of 4 cylinder models!). Anyway, I am interested in knowing more about this meet, as it is a possibility on my calendar. Might not be able to make all 4 days, however.

Gary
    West Chester, PA
    The best way I can describe it is like a mini-Oktoberfest, if you're familiar with those BMW CCA events. While the schedule of events for this year's Sharkfest isn't yet posted on the web, if you go to the Sharkfest website and click on 'Events' at the top of the page, you can click on prior year's Sharkfests to see what kind of activities they had in years past, as well as photos from those years.

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett

My Cars
    Thank you Mike. I think I'll try to make a couple of days. Look forward to meeting you and a lot of other e31/e9 members there.

Gary
    Gary Knox

'97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '13 Audi A8

My Cars
    2012 Alpina B7
    I will be there with my E31. Registered and hotel is booked.

Greg

My Cars
    1994 e31, Porsche Macan
    Hi Gary....Hope you can join us. There are 7 e31s registered so far -- hope we get more. There were 5 at last year's SharkFest, so the number is growing slowly. Be sure to make a hotel registration soon (even if you need to cancel it later) -- a notice came out several days ago that most of the rooms that are set aside for us were gone. The Marriott Spartanburg is a large hotel, but we have a special rate of $134 -- late reservations may have to pay a higher rate.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to include SharkFest's website: bmwsharkfest.org. Check it out.
    Life's too short to drive boring cars --
    • 1988 M6 (e24) - Zinnoberrot/Pearl Beige (sold )
    • 1994 850 Ci (e31) - Orient Blue Metallic/LtSilverGray
    • 2017 Porsche Macan - Night Blue Metallic

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Registration for sharkfest closes on April 8; we have a really good showing, but it would be great to get a few more!

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett

My Cars
    E24 M6, E39, F70
    I was considering bringing mine down but its looking like a new owner will be purchasing it on the 'Bay Sunday.

I encourage all to attend. To me, best car gathering on the planet, perfect size, incredibly bunch of people, awesome roads (they do suck in most of the Northeast) and always a great caravan from the north.

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcfp1 View Post
    I was considering bringing mine down but its looking like a new owner will be purchasing it on the 'Bay Sunday.

I encourage all to attend. To me, best car gathering on the planet, perfect size, incredibly bunch of people, awesome roads (they do suck in most of the Northeast) and always a great caravan from the north.
    come and bring your M6!

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett

My Cars
    Attended my first Southeast Sharkfest this past weekend. I did not hear about it last spring (bought the e31 in December '16), so didn't have a 'feel' for this meet. I can only describe it as GREAT. Kai X does a fabulous job of putting together a meet for 'big coupe' owners - e9, e24, and e31's. About 100 cars/owners attended, plus some guests. I think there were four or five e9's, eight e31's, and the remainder were e24's. Plenty of activities AND time to get acquainted with other Big Coupe owners. Kai et al described it as a gathering of family, and I certainly had that impression. I've been attending other German car events for quite a long while, and this one ranked high for enjoyment.

Being a 'do it yourselfer' - if you can - kind of owner, I'd have liked a bit more technical focus. Perhaps a 'how to' by a mechanic/guru owner, etc.., but perhaps that's just me.

All in all, a very enjoyable way to spend 5 days, and a smooth drive/ride of 600 miles each way in the 840Ci. This will definitely be on my calendar for the 2019 meet - wherever it is held. Thanks Kai, and all the volunteers who made this happen.

Gary Knox

PS: Let's see if we can outnumber the e24's at the 2019 meet - HA!
    Last edited by Gary Knox; 05-02-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Gary Knox

'97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '13 Audi A8

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    I want to echo Gary's comments -- a great event, definitely more social than technical, but it was great to meet a bunch of new folks who are all passionate about their cars. I counted 10 E31s, and was told there was 11 (but that one must have been hiding). All those older e24s were beautiful as well -- I don't know how they picked a winner in the concours, because each one was nicer looking than the one before it. It was also great to meet some of the folks from the board in person, and some new faces that aren't on the board (yet).

Now the question is -- who's going to Oktoberfest in Pittsburgh?

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    If I hit the lotto and get the money pit straight I'll be there. Hehehehe unfortunately so far i'm always off by one number each way ;-p

My Cars
    1994 e31, Porsche Macan
    I counted 11 e31s at the show on Saturday and 11 were registered. Good showing! I also know several members who have both an e24 and e31 but bring their e24 to SharkFest.
    Life's too short to drive boring cars --
    • 1988 M6 (e24) - Zinnoberrot/Pearl Beige (sold )
    • 1994 850 Ci (e31) - Orient Blue Metallic/LtSilverGray
    • 2017 Porsche Macan - Night Blue Metallic

My Cars
    2012 Alpina B7
    I had a great time at my first SESF. what a great group of people and cars! my 850 did over 1500 miles flawlessly. I might bring something different next year, but I will definitely be back. It was great to meet some of you.

Greg